It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima Radioactive Traces Found In Glasgow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

news.sky.com

Traces of radioactive iodine from Japan's stricken Fukushima power plant have been detected in Glasgow, according to Sky sources.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Quite surprising it's made it as far as Glasgow without triggering alerts in any other countries. I've no idea if it's possible with the wind pattern, but could it have flown "over the top" of the Arctic circle and hit Scotland from that angle?

Worrying for us in the UK, but I live on the exact opposite end of the country thankfully!

news.sky.com

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalby

news.sky.com

Traces of radioactive iodine from Japan's stricken Fukushima power plant have been detected in Glasgow, according to Sky sources.

Ive heard that traces are still in Scotland from Chernobyl....maybe thats what they are getting?

Hopefully anyway

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I thought they could pinpoint radioactive sources to literally the exact nuclear reactor it came from.

I am basing this assumption on that scene in The Sum Of All Fears though...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalby

Yeppers, i mentioned the same about radiation being on the right coast as i live on the left coast, heck i even was out in the rain quite a bit.
Although my wife has a glow i guess it has always been there to me , but i'm not glowing and i feel fine....well as fine as an old broken individual feels anyway.

Maybe the owners of these media outlets own stores that sell radioactivity products?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yeah all things considered Chernobyl was our back garden and we're all fine from that. If people aren't keeling over in Japan then I'm sure it's fine here. Besides...would Glasgow getting irradiated really make any difference?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalby

I do not know if it is possible but it seems plausible to my small brain.
But i am no nuclear fisu, phisa, physi.... i'm not a nuclear professional.
Nuclear physicist needed on this question plz?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If the levels are so low and not a concern,
why haven't they quoted the data.

The Officials in Japan kept saying that "there is no concern",
until ....

The bbc.co.uk news item mentioned detection in other countries

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I said all along the fallout would spread around the globe and reach Britain, prevailing winds etc, governments lie about the severity, blah blah.
In our everyday lives we are surrounded more and more by 'safe' levels of radiation, yet people can't work out why cancer rates increase each year... Ban nuclear power now so that people in 300 years or so won't have to live with the consequences of our inaction. The chance was missed to save us before a lot of us were born, a decision made for us by people who care only for profit and power. All of us will get, or know someone who gets cancer in their lives, don't accept this like you can't do anything about it, people of the past could have done more to fight against nuclear power and we would have been healthier as a consequence. Let us not be so selfish or lazy or naive. Oppose nuclear power, vote only for parties who would decommission existing stations, educate your friends, family and neighbours, and most importantly... don't give up on the future like the last generation did.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The Sky Breaking News Twitter account just claimed the Health Protection Agency have picked up radioactive iodine readings in Oxfordshire.

That's a neighbouring county to me - not cool.

So...has this just missed out the USA/Canada mostly, or are the governments suppressing information about it?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Plenty of Glaswegians are mutants anyway, it won't make much difference.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SawneyBean

Oh man, mutant neds! Nooooooooooo. They're bad enough as it is!

Might make getting chased by a group of them a slightly more amusing experience though

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalby

In the same few sentences you express your worries about radioactive materiel passing over the arctic and every ocean in between and landing in Glasgow, and right away go on to express the safety you feel about being on the other side of an island.

Believe this. If radioactive materiel can travel through the air, across continents and oceans, there is no getting away from it by going to the other side of the dirt hill.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SawneyBean
Plenty of Glaswegians are mutants anyway, it won't make much difference.

The majority of them are my neighbours
A lot of Orange people glowing Green? that won't go down well lol

Well hopefully this won't pose too much of a problem..... in saying that, when I saw this news breaking I took some sea kelp tablets, talk about a fearty cat.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join