It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traces of Radioactive Iodine from Fukushima found in Glasgow/UK

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
How are we sure that this isn't just natural radiation from rocks and stuff?
How can we be sure this is from Japan?

I just found this:

Traces of radioactive iodine from Japan's stricken Fukushima power plant have been detected in Glasgow, according to Sky sources.

[SNIPPED VIDEO]

Authorities are stressing that there is no threat to public health.

Sky's Scotland correspondent James Matthews said the Health Protection Agency's Glasgow monitoring station - one of several it has across the UK - had picked up very small traces of radioactive iodine 131.

Matthews said: "My sources are telling me this has come from the incident in Japan.

"The public health authorities north of the border are monitoring these traces."
(Source)

edit on 29-3-2011 by Rising Against because: Add more content

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
does anyone remember what we were told when the Chernobyl stuff came over us - I was only a kid then so wouldn't remember - was there a cover up then or not?

Yes and no. The Russians delayed 'coming clean'. Later, safety measures were put in place for the worst affected areas. There were bans on dairy produce from some areas.There are still farms which can't operate to this day. So we probably got more protection than the Japanese. But the reality is you can't evacuate a country. Everything will have been affected to some extent - drinking water, crops... In fact some years later I remember a tiny Guardian article about how some dried milk had been refused import by another country because it was contaminated!! I have no doubt there will have been thousands of cases of death and illness as a result.
edit on 29-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Apparently the iodine may not be from Japan and might be industrial iodine washed down the drains according to Prof Reagan. Don't forget this is only from the start of the leaks what happens when it gets really bad.
edit on 29-3-2011 by keldas because: Additional information

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thank you my dear

At the moment guys, it's not going to really harm your health.

Just be careful with food and water I say...once it's inside..it does a lot of damage if alpha radiation is occurring (high ionizing and not very penetrating).

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Iceland detected it. I think it's safe to say it will be here as well.
I won't be eating any UK lamb or milk produce for the foreseeable future. Look folks - by the time someone comes out and says 'oops', it's too late for thee and me.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I was wondering if anybody has any idea of the affects this will have on the tap water in the uk? Is it still safe to drink? I'm not the most clued up person on radiation.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

At the moment guys, it's not going to really harm your health.

I just typed into Google some key words relating to this story and what came up was people seemingly already panicking about this story on other forums too. So, yeah, I couldn't agree more, I really think It's important not to get ahead of ourselves at this moment in time.

Instead, take a step back and realize that as of right now, this isn't harmful to anyone. In reality what it is is "very small traces" of radiation being found. Nothing to panic over just yet.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lubilou

Tap water will be fine here - it is the food chain that might be affected - although bear in mind the report did say it has been detected in tiny amounts

Personally I don't drink the tap water here in the UK anyway

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Well, it's nowhere near the level we received from Chernobyl (mind, that killed 85% of the UK population and left the rest of us with 2 green heads and between 3 and 7 eyes
). And I suspect rather less than what you'd get through eating half a banana. The background radiation alone will be much higher in most parts of the country.

But nonetheless, if we continue breathing in radiation from Japan for the rest of our lives. We'll probably die

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

Thanks for letting me know. I don't drink tap water either but my nephew drinks it all the time.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Instead, take a step back and realize that as of right now, this isn't harmful to anyone. In reality what it is is "very small traces" of radiation being found. Nothing to panic over just yet.

Getting ahead is precisely what we need to do. This is one instance where getting wise after the event is too late. Be proactive and for heavens sake read what it says here www.idealist.ws...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm not being deliberately rotten about Glasgow & it's people ... but it's one of the few cities in the Western world where a blanket of radioactive fallout wouldn't present a deleterious threat to the life expectancy of it's adult population.

The only official pronouncement from the British government I can remember, from the time of Chernobyl, was "not to drink the rainwater" ... and, being adolescents, that was exactly what we went out and did. Now, twenty plus years later, none of us has suffered any health problem related to our foolish consumption of radioactive rainwater.

I doubt this will be a major problem to Glasgow & it's hardy natives.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Well, it's nowhere near the level we received from Chernobyl (mind, that killed 85% of the UK population and left the rest of us with 2 green heads and between 3 and 7 eyes
).

Yeah so funny. I'm 60. I know 8 people who died of cancer. Two of them from lung cancer and they didn't even smoke. Have a freakin clue.
www.idealist.ws... - for your education.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Getting ahead is precisely what we need to do. This is one instance where getting wise after the event is too late.

When there's no need to worry. I'm not going to worry.

And read my post again, I said there was no reason to get ahead of ourselves here (in other words, not to panic), not that there's no reason to get ahead. Big difference.

edit on 29-3-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

I spent a week wild camping in the Lake District a few weeks after Chernobyl. And guess where I got all my water from?
And when I came home I was literally glowing! Although that might have been the sunburn .....

(which reminds me, if you want to worry about radiation, worry about going outside in the sun - especially given the state of the ozone layer atm)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

But did they eat bananas? Or chocolate covered brazil nuts?
Or live anywhere near a coal mine or coal power stations (the latter are - normally - much more dangerous than nuclear reactors). There are many, many, sources of radiation all around us. And all of it can, in theory, kill us. Maybe that's why we all die so young?

(personally I smoke a pipe, and thus consume additional radiation every day - a little more from Japan won't make one iota of difference)

Oh, and btw, if British water and British foodstuffs are contaminated, so, at the very least, are all food and water from N America and the rest of Europe. So what are you going to eat and drink now?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

does anyone remember what we were told when the Chernobyl stuff came over us - I was only a kid then so wouldn't remember - was there a cover up then or not?

I was in my early 20's and as far I remeber we were told nothing. But then I didn't read current affairs the way I do now. The internet didn't exist. Information was drip fed from media that was far slower than it is today.

The Soviet Union didn't let the world know till Swedish scientist picked up the radiation 2 days after the breach...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

I suppose at least nowadays we have the internet and sites like ATS on our side on this one

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
They have just found some in Oxfordshire now as well

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

They have just found some in Oxfordshire now as well

Just hearing the same thing on Sky news too.

I would assume this will be found all over the country as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join