It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuts protesters claim police tricked them into mass arrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Campaigners for the tax-avoidance protest group UK Uncut have claimed senior police officers "tricked" them into a mass arrest after a peaceful protest inside Fortnum & Mason's in London on Saturday.

Activists say they were given repeated assurances by a chief inspector from the Metropolitan police that they would be shown to safety after the protest, which she described as non-violent and sensible. However, when protesters left the luxury Piccadilly store on police instruction, they were kettled, handcuffed and taken into custody.

Their claims are backed up by footage, obtained by the Guardian, showing that, rather than being asked to leave, the protesters inside the luxury food retailer were told they were being kept inside for their own safety

In the video, shot by observers for the legal volunteer group Green & Black Cross, a police officer can be seen telling protesters they would be directed towards "the safest parts" once they had left the building

Guardian link

The video of the 'event' speaks for itself . sorry I can't fetch the vid up.

Out of 149 arrests at the protest, 138 are from Fortnum and Mason all I would guess UnCut members, whose protests in the last months have not seen any arrests

I hope this incident is investigated, though won't hold my breath,

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Interesting, legal advisors at the event were assured by the police that they wouldn't be arrested because their protest was peaceful. Those were the words of the female police officer only to find themselves all arrested once the exited the building.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
a police officer can be seen telling protesters they would be directed towards "the safest parts" once they had left the building

Which they were - the safest place fior these *SNIP* is under arrest!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 3/29/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

so you call these people ****heads for excersising thier right to peaceful protest and then being tricked into arrest by the very people who are supposed to serve and protect us.

Fighting crime and protecting people indeed...pfft

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

UnCut have been protesting up and down the country for weeks, no arrests,..why now?

If you are saying you disapprove of protests? how else to the people get their message of dissatifaction across? it is patently obvious it is not through the ballot box

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

a police officer can be seen telling protesters they would be directed towards "the safest parts" once they had left the building

Which they were - the safest place fior these dickheads is under arrest!

Would love to know what you think of the company that owns Fortnam and Masons (Wittington Investments) who have dodged the taxman to the tune of 40 million pounds !

Which is why these people were staging a sit-in.

Cosmic...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Which they were - the safest place fior these dickheads is under arrest!

Let's arrest all protesters and give tax breaks and allow tax avoidance to rich companies. Maybe you can start your own protest group protesting for benefits to big business and less to the disabled and elderly. You'd probably get quite a lot of support from the bootlickers

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hmm kinda reminds me of millions of people being cattled into a safe place, then the gas turned on.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Didn't people like Cameron and Obama say they supported the rights of Egyptian Protesters to peacefully protest? I guess that it just doesn't apply within their own home countries huh ! Waiting for Nato intervention 3-2-1. These rogue Goverments and their minions have got to go and now ! Eye for an eye !
Watch for event's around the Royal Wedding, I don't think it going to be all celebrations .It's going to get rough !There are already other threats there , by then I don't think either side will be in the mood to play nice .
edit on 29-3-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Why do they even try to arrest them? They could all lose their jobs over this. Seriously, why even try? The only ones that are going to pay by doing unlawful actions are the policemen themselves. I for once am looking forward to this.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
Why do they even try to arrest them? They could all lose their jobs over this. Seriously, why even try? The only ones that are going to pay by doing unlawful actions are the policemen themselves. I for once am looking forward to this.

Police do not pay for their actions, 95% of the time. And when they do, they are given a short paid vacation!

Deebo
edit on 29-3-2011 by Deebo because: add

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The government don't want any protests and thats why they put their people in amongst the protestors to cause havoc to make the cause seem pointless and its why to illegally contain the protestors.

new topics

top topics

join