It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Unusual static electricity shocks when touching water

page: 1

log in


posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:01 AM
Ok, I'm really starting to wonder what's going on. I'm wondering if anyone else has routinely encountered the same things or even had it happen to them. I've experienced static electricity shocks several times when touching water. A couple of years ago I could turn on the water faucet and not get any shock, then touch the water coming out ,zappp, I felt it. The other day it was raining all day outside. I go into church touch some standing water which is customary, nothing happened. Although a few times I noticed a small static shock when doing so. Anyway at the end of the church service, I picked up an umbrella and was in contact with a relative who I was escorting out. Then I touched the standing water. I felt a big zappp. I didn't feel anything when contacting anything else or the person I was escorting. I'm thinking this is weird. The rain had turned into a light mist outside. I thought it was supposed to be difficult to get static shocks when it was raining outside. Maybe there is a valid explanation for this. Maybe I got too much iron in my blood and I easily accumulate electricity and it builds up and discharges suddenly without warning.

I once shocked a girl in a club one night. She told me I did when we accidentally touched and she was wondering what that sharp but small pain was. I asked her if anyone had ever shocked her like that in the club before and she said no. During this past winter I touched some sheets of plastic and didn't notice anything until I went to touch a light switch. Apparently I accumulated such a massive charge the small lightning bolt that shot out from my finger traveled a good distance and you could hear it. It was one of the most painful shocks I've ever had. I say a long distance but I know my finger was within an inch of the switch plate.

It seems really strange to keep getting static shocks when touching water and sometimes other objects. Is this common or do you guys occasionally get static shocks not when touching doors and other people but immediately after that when touching holy water? I've gotten shocks when touching regular water too. I guess what makes it seem strange is that I touch doors and other objects and then get the static shock when touching water. Apparently things are getting more diversified since I accidentally shocked a girl in a club a few months ago. Maybe there was a thunderstorm overhead. I have experienced a lot of static electricity coming off all my fingers in a club when apparently there was a storm outside. I'm wondering if this is a little bit unusual or very unusual.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:04 AM
Do you live in an area with very dry windy conditions?

Cause that will cause massive static electricity.

If not, then you are a bit weird. :p


posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:27 AM
I used to get so much static at work I had to buy some anti-static spray and spray all around my work area. Without it even picking up my can of soda would shock me. What kind of shoes do you wear? Try to notice how you walk, if you shuffle your feet at all that will build up a charge too.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:01 AM
I experienced the same thing. It happened to me about 20 times over 2 months of last summer. I noticed it always happened to me when I was very angry or very happy.

Well it have stopped now, I don't know why or how it happened.

P.S. I don't live in windy area. It happened only one or two times in open area so I thought maybe installations around the house might be the problem. We have checked electrical installations in bathroom and kitchen but everything was ok. In my family i was only one experiencing this.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:39 PM
reply to post by orionthehunter

It happened to me a couple of years ago and it was really bad. I did not eat fish, or use body oil or skin lotion and it was in winter within a dry atmosphere. I took a bath, adding a capful of oil to the water and the problem stopped. After that I paid attention to adding a bit of oil to my diet, such as a salad with oil and vinegar, or eating some fish. I haven"t had the problem since.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:49 PM
Yes, sometimes I feel kinda tiny shock when water (mostly from PET bottle) touches my tongue.
Water was better and smoother in mouth in ol' good times

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:53 PM
I seem to routinely get shocks, rain or sunshine, humid or not, often when I'm not expecting it. This evening after pushing a cart around Walmart, touching several objects in the cart and on the shelves, I got a big shock when I touched the self check out display panel. I have no idea why. I do not shuffle my feet. I'm wearing normal walking shoes and usually am on a tile floor. It's often quite humid hear in South Carolina. It was raining almost all day the other day when I got shocked indoors. Maybe I have too much iron in my blood. I'm thinking about going somewhere and donating some and see if that helps. I heard donating blood removes iron from the blood. I don't know if lots of iron could result in these symptoms or not.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:50 AM
I gave blood back several months ago and have been taking fish oil supplements. I've lucked out since then and haven't noticed all the static electricity shocks. Of course the air has been very humid as well. That hasn't always stopped me from getting shocked in the past. It has not been windy and I've built up quite a shock walking across tile floor and not shuffling my feet at all. I suspect something in a grocery cart or material handling cart built up a shock though and transferred the juice to me since I was holding onto it. Other times getting shocked when touching water is still a mystery. Maybe the water built up charges in my area.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:02 AM
I used to get shocked by stuff alot when I was younger. I went to wash my hands one time and got a nice shock from the water. One time turning the cable box off I got shocked so bad that the cable box turned off and I think the lights dimmed also.

new topics


log in