It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Behavior of Exotic Antimatter Particle Seen at Giant Atom Smasher

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

New Behavior of Exotic Antimatter Particle Seen at Giant Atom Smasher

www.livescience.com

A rare particle containing equal parts weird antimatter and normal matter has popped up in experiments at the world's largest particle accelerator.

Scientists recently observed new behavior of this particle, called a B meson, at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) atom smasher, a 17-mile long (27-km) underground ring at the CERN laboratory near Geneva. B mesons are made up of one quark (the building block of protons and neutrons) and one anti-quark, which is the antimatter partner to the quark. [The Strangest Little Things in Nature]

All normal particles are thought to have antimatter partn
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The more we learn, the more we realize how little we know..

This is amazing not only in the facts, but also in the potential for science to learn so much about our world and how it really operates..

Anti-Matter!!!!
Dark Matter!!!!

What is next?

So maybe Star Trek was not so far off...

www.livescience.com

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I gave you a star and flag, because I know this is incredible stuff, but if you notice the time (its almost 3 am) my mind is not coherently processing this information, and I would like to take a look at it later, so Im posting on it so it goes to my ats.

damm puppies and their small bladders, maybe this will lead to anti-pissing in the house capabilities

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
hmmmm how do we know people aren't just making up a ship load of crap? i mean, they can say they've just discovered atoms that looks like a gnome in a galaxy far far away and we'd just be like "OMG that is amazing!!"

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Incredible science us humans are playing with but... You play with fire you get burnt... I beg them to proceed slowly and not get too excited with their toys.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
DARE I SAY IT?!?!?

Mr. HIGGS!!!
Is that you? Have you finally revealed yourself to us?
Considering the state of the world,
that 'theory of everything' could be just what we need....a lifesaver- or even a HUMANITY-saver.

*Higgs boson, oh higgs boson! Wherefore art thou Higgs boson?*

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
What a fantastic discovery! HOWEVER, I am of the mindset of "just because we could, doesn't mean we should". We could possibly be creating new particles. We could be toying with something we can't possibly understand. They played with the atom and look where that got us. CERN is questionable to me. Scares me a bit. But, we will have to wait and see what happens. What is done is done, there is no undoing it.

S&F OP!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

perhaps the absence of anti-particles can be explained by the presence of singularities. perhaps they assisted in sandboxing the equal proportion in order for the opposite to exist.
f

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I don't think it's the Higg's boson we've been waiting for..

It's a meson; made from one quark and an antiquark.
If the Higgs particle does indeed exist..it is a boson. The decays are also different.

Just another particle we've to add to our particle zoo...accelerators are powerful things indeed.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

thanks for crushing my dreams

JK! *wink wink nudge nudge*

I was being jovial in that post- however, you've brought up something...
WHY does this theoretical particle HAVE to be a boson?

***just a little BG on myself- I got my Bach of Sci in Psychology/Pre-Med with a Minor in Philosophy (Concentration on Phil of Science and Phil of Religion);

And though I do not have the slightest clue about the mathematics involved in quantum physics,
(took 3 semesters of CALC in college- that was plenty lol)
I do have a solid science foundation, as well as theoretical physics/philosophy...

I also had the privilege of being nominated and assigned to a research team in College -Clemson University- funded by NASA to conduct research on societal development in space/on mars. Not from the scientific aspect, but from social/psychological/philosophical/spiritual/religious.

It was called "The Terrestrial Lifeboat Project"
I was part of the original team.
....hmm....maybe I should create a thread on this- with everything that's going on....our task (over several years- I was part of the team for a little under 2 years- my Jr and Sr year in college) I still have all my research/doc's from it packed in storage...

---- sharing my educational BG so that y'all have an idea of where I am educationally/intellectually regarding this issue- I know more than average, but am not an expert. I'm also a total nerd- despite my appearance lol -----
edit on 29-3-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

The more we learn, the more we realize how little we know..

This is amazing not only in the facts, but also in the potential for science to learn so much about our world and how it really operates..

Anti-Matter!!!!
Dark Matter!!!!

What is next?

So maybe Star Trek was not so far off...

www.livescience.com

Great article, and good find semperfortis! Its funny you should say that Star Trek was not so far off...

... www.telegraph.co.uk...

The evidence is really mounting up !
S+F etc, etc.

TB

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
hmmmm how do we know people aren't just making up a ship load of crap? i mean, they can say they've just discovered atoms that looks like a gnome in a galaxy far far away and we'd just be like "OMG that is amazing!!"

I think you are confusing science with religion. Man made from mud, woman made from man's rib, man walking over water, ressurrecting, multiplying bread, healing the blind, etc etc. That's the "OMG that is amazing!" stuff we can do nothing about, except believe or disbelieve.

When scientists say they have discovered something, dude, they have to prove it. Do you think Einstein is celebrated as one of the most important minds because everybody just shouted "OMG that is amazing!" to everything he said? No, he had to prove himself! That's how it is in the scientific field. That's the beauty about science. Doesn't matter where you live in the world, we can all agree that force = mass * acceleration. That 1 g = 9,8m/s. And so on and so forth.

So, cool, scientists just found out something new. Alright, now they have a lot of work to do to prove to the scientific community that what they are saying is true.
edit on 29-3-2011 by henriquefd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
And even the famous Einstien failed to produce that final theorem that ultimate theory....shows we are not as smart as we thunk we wuz.....Just apes playing with matches mostly....Think how far we could get if we didnt spend mostly 75 % of all we produce for war.If we didnt spend all those trillions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man years to produce.... death. Death in a thousand new and interesting forms for our fellow men.
God what a total waste.!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I found this part of the story particularly interesting.

In this case, the B mesons decayed by a different process, and created different end products, than previous research has measured. That was partly enabled by the increased energy of the collisions at LHC compared with other atom smashers; the more energy, the more particles are produced, and the more particles, the greater the chances of finding rare events like these, Stone said.

Makes you wonder just how many particles there are out there, and to what plateau the energy collisions need to reach before they are all discovered. Makes me a little worried too... These incredible machines that are waiting to be built, will be inherited by mere children of the evolutionary scale. Will our quest for the answer to the big question, 'why are we here' be our undoing?

Perhaps the universe was intended to be that way. For its inhabitants to never truly know the answer... Perhaps the answer would be so groundbreaking that it would bring chaos and disorder to the delicate balance of our spiritually driven societies if it were ever unleashed. So, maybe there is a safe guard in place to protect races like us from the answer, and that safe guard is assured destruction. Or, at least, assured on the creator's (multiple?) end. The more complex you make a universe, the harder it is to predict, would it not be?
edit on 29-3-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

While I ponder the scope and power of the energies involved with particle collision as deeply as the next person, I also believe that far from being part of the problem, these discoveries will be part of the solution. The thing that humanity ought most fear, is itself. The fact is that even without atomic weapons, or particle beam weapons, or any of the other fantastical methods of murder that have been invented, or are to be unveiled in time to come, mankind has a murderous , greedy streak. It is THAT which must be stifled, and not the advancement and discovery of the workings of the universe.
The tools we need to escape this solar system, to envelope ourselves in the shroud of space, and travel to the stars, are things we should search for and take joy in the location of. What we have to do as a species, is prevent the weight of our hatred from over powering the strength of our capacity to care for one another and be a family.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
anyone else think meson =mason. one negative one positive combined in one= duality/good evil -

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
reply to post by BlackPoison94

thanks for crushing my dreams

JK! *wink wink nudge nudge*

I was being jovial in that post- however, you've brought up something...
WHY does this theoretical particle HAVE to be a boson?

***just a little BG on myself- I got my Bach of Sci in Psychology/Pre-Med with a Minor in Philosophy (Concentration on Phil of Science and Phil of Religion);

And though I do not have the slightest clue about the mathematics involved in quantum physics,
(took 3 semesters of CALC in college- that was plenty lol)
I do have a solid science foundation, as well as theoretical physics/philosophy...

I also had the privilege of being nominated and assigned to a research team in College -Clemson University- funded by NASA to conduct research on societal development in space/on mars. Not from the scientific aspect, but from social/psychological/philosophical/spiritual/religious.

It was called "The Terrestrial Lifeboat Project"
I was part of the original team.
....hmm....maybe I should create a thread on this- with everything that's going on....our task (over several years- I was part of the team for a little under 2 years- my Jr and Sr year in college) I still have all my research/doc's from it packed in storage...

---- sharing my educational BG so that y'all have an idea of where I am educationally/intellectually regarding this issue- I know more than average, but am not an expert. I'm also a total nerd- despite my appearance lol -----
edit on 29-3-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

Completely and totally without any sarcasm whatsoever:
Wow! Now that's an interesting background!
Thanks for sharing.I'd be interested to hear more...Nice to see some real intellect here; I keep thinking of ATSas the scruffy long haired guy in the double wide doing videos on: "Nibiru" has been found! and it's gonna' kill us all, and his wife "Yells from the kitchen "honey; chickens done!"..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
anyone else think meson =mason. one negative one positive combined in one= duality/good evil -

uh no...

have nice sunny day;! we;ve got one above 32F!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Haha, no problem with me crushing your dreams

Why does it have to be a boson?

I have no idea seriously. I'm hoping to take Physics to a degree level and then possibly a phD...so I'm clueless on this matter...and not much it hitting back on the Internet searches.
Go and ask some real scientists ;P

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Why does it have to be a boson?

Because the force carriers are bosons, which don't decay. They obey the Bose-Einstein statistics. Charged Mesons, such as described in the paperr contain a quark-antiquark pair and decay, usually very rapidly, to form electrons and neutrinos. Uncharged mesons decay to form photons. Mesons with integer spin are bosons, while a composite with half-integer spin is a fermion. The difference is important to application of the Pauli exclusion principle.
I know - TMI.

<<   2  3 >>

join