It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you step in to the light?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Lets assume for a minute that when you die. There is a bright white light and you have to decide whether to step in to it or not.

Would you?

Theres part of me that believes that this light may lead to some kind of instant rebirth as another life form. Kind of like stepping in to the light and straight out of your new mothers womb. This puts me off the idea of stepping in to the light. Having just endured one life, i would'nt want to just step straight in to another one. Id want to chill out for a century or two. See how thing pan out here on earth. What kind of technology we come up with stuff like that.

What if you only get one chance to step in to the light though? What if it does indeed lead to some kind of heaven or other spiritual plane and you miss out on that. Destined to spend the rest of eternity trapped here on Earth.

So what would you do?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
To be honest. I have thought about this and I wouldn't at first.

I am a very curious (nosey) person and I would want to check out things for my self.

I would love to be able to invisibly check out human affairs before i passed on.

I would love to see what is really going on behind the scenes before I gave everything up.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I don't think stepping into the light is a choice - you are dead, and that is where you are going.

Stepping into the light here and now is a choice.

So is stepping into the dark.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by larrydavid

I have done it before and until i learn all of lives lessons, i will have to do it again.
We all have to.
Thats called life.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
What a simply put post. I think you have found a moment here. No busy argument either way, no forceful suggestions, just a simple what if.

What if you only get one chance to step in to the light though? What if it does indeed lead to some kind of heaven or other spiritual plane and you miss out on that. Destined to spend the rest of eternity trapped here on Earth.

I would offer to the above,what if, an if so.

If so than what if there were those who wait to take you with them or maybe come back for you one day?

I mean "what if?".

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
What a simply put post. I think you have found a moment here. No busy argument either way, no forceful suggestions, just a simple what if.

I would offer to the above,what if, an if so.

If so than what if there were those who wait to take you with them or maybe come back for you one day?

I mean "what if?".
edit on 29-3-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Mods please remove this double post of mine.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I would definitely. What makes you think that you have to die to step into the light though? What if you didn't have to die to step into the light and make your way back? Would you?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

Yeah I would step into the light. I've seen that movie the Frighteners, better off going into the light.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

I had the choice and I chose to stay.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If it happens like you describe, you die and see nothing but a light, I'd have to wonder if there is anything else but the ligth, if there is another choice or not.
Personally I hope that when I died thing would be perfectly clear to me and I know exactly what to do... if not i probably sit by the light and demand a good explenation from someone.

Your not gonna go blindly jump off a building just because religion or spirituality tells you it's a good idea, would you?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I plan on stepping inside my own mind when I die. Basically, walking into the world of my own imagination.
edit on 29-3-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Step into the Light, or the darkness...??

Well, maybe I'll just chill with Jennifer Love Hewitt for a while.

(BTW, who would step into darkness? I'm pretty sure nobody would do that.)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

don't want to write a one-liner but...
you'd be surprised to know just how many would....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

OK GypsK, I would love to hear your thoughts on why (people might "choose" darkness)?

Darkness being something of a metaphor for perhaps the "other place", not "heaven", etc.

Or?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I won't know for sure until I get there, to that point, but from everything I have learned in this Earth-bound life then yes, I think I should as that is what I have been always taught. Have I been taught right?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

The light part of the death experience is irrelevant,

books.google.com... =dpCTTeTCKcLAtgesnLF2&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I cant highlight and bring in a snipped, so read the page, it talks about how pilots subjected to g forces sufficient to make them pass out saw a light and had an experience very like what is reported in NDE.

So dont fixate too much on the sensory parts of the experience. Some portions are caused by the brain dying. Its better to go into death without a plan. Just let go, and be aware, and try to do your best in the moment and you will be fine. The more you rely on your "knowledge base" or mythologies, the more trouble you will have and the greater the chance to # it all up.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

The more you rely on your "knowledge base" or mythologies, the more trouble you will have and the greater the chance to # it all up.

Interesting comment, I wonder what you might base it on.

How can anyone screw up their own (unplanned for) death?

How can anyone "know" anything about such things, as they are essentially of the Unknown?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth

Originally posted by GypsK

OK GypsK, I would love to hear your thoughts on why (people might "choose" darkness)?

Darkness being something of a metaphor for perhaps the "other place", not "heaven", etc.

Or?

well, in short, because there are a whole bunch of people who romantisize the "darkside" and are so caught up in their little fantasy worlds that 'dark' becomes equal to ' the more exiting choice'. While 'light' equals 'boring'.
Next to that there are many cults on this earth that worships the dark side. I know this because a long time ago I was part of one of them.
Really, you'd be surprised just how many people would choose darkness over the light without a second thought.

I'm not saying they are right, just saying that some will make another choice then you and I would make.
You asked.

edit on 30/3/2011 by GypsK because: typo

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

First what is 1 walking on? Or is flying part of this phase or floating or being magnetised to what energy fits you best? Decision it seems could cause back up or purge in system.
Be well
edit on 3/30/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Really, you'd be surprised just how many people would choose darkness over the light without a second thought.

I'm not saying they are right, just saying that some will make another choice then you and I would make.

Thanks GypsK.

I think you're right that many people romanticize the "dark-side", or perhaps further enjoy dark pursuits in life, etc.

I suppose if there is something like "free will", people who prefer such things should be at least allowed their choice.

But from a philosophical view, I think a case can be made for examining such choices, in "light" of the fact that they would not only be objectively "wrong" choices, but ones made with insufficient information.

Probably our Western "religious" baggage predisposes us to accepting this "cosmic choice" paradigm, and certainly, the idea of free will seems to suggest that such choices are in order. But what kind of "choice" is it really?

If someone asked you to "decide" about this "eternity", or that, regardless of which, there is one sticky problem. Finite people really have no concept of what "eternity" could possibly mean. It's not exactly like asking our dog to choose between a juicy steak, and a rotten apple, such a "choice" wouldn't be a choice anyway, in any real sense. But if there was such a thing as a conscious existence that never ends, we wouldn't be the ones to ask anything about it, IMO. It wouldn't exactly be a "fair" question, and obviously, if your "eternal" destiny somehow hinged on such a decision, any just "god" sitting in "judgement" couldn't exactly get away with holding you to your "decision", such as it was.

Oh, perhaps there are other "creatures" we could imagine, possibly "angels", maybe they would have some inkling of what such a thing could mean, but certainly not people.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, no one knows what happens after death, in spite of plenty of popular NDE stories about this "light".

Logically, I tend to think that "eternity" shouldn't be anything creatures with only finite experience should have to worry about, although, many people do in fact worry about it.

While I personally wouldn't worry about "eternity", I suppose it wouldn't be entirely irrational to worry about possible "justice" beyond the grave. Somehow, if history is any indication, people have this common "need" to believe that justice is somehow done "somewhere". Clearly, it isn't done in "this" life, so that would bring us to the next.

What "should" happen to finite creatures who have misbehaved, been selfish, made bad choices, caused the suffering of others? "Hell" perhaps? Well, not if it's "eternal", even if it was Hitler we were talking about, since that would be overkill. But probably a "purgatorial" idea could make sense, as long as there is some remedial value to it.

JR

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join