It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinterest in denial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday and found very little interest on the subject, not sure what the reason for this is. Either its denial of denial, disinterest on what denial means or a misplace thread that was very boring! Not sure if it’s permitted to do this, but will try anyway.

(The simple yet effective motto of our membership is deny ignorance, which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within.) ATS

As clearly as this is stated in just the facts, it is a slogan and most people are going to remember the slogan and forget the description. So for those who are interested, I thought a review of this slogan would be appropriate for ATS. First of all ignorance is available in every part of human life and in each and every one of us. If you don’t realize this you are in “denial”, and if you are in denial you are partly ignoring the truth. So as you can see with this we are presented with a very real problem especially in ATS. I took a guess that above top secret means access to information that leads us closer and closer to the truth of any particular subject matter. So to really do this we all are going to have to become ongoing experts of cutting through denial and thus revealing the truth.
So let’s start with the facts.
What is Denial ?
www.jchristoff.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">denialism

The consequences of being in denial can range from the personal – that lump is just a cyst – to who we are as human beings – the Holocaust didn’t really happen. To be in denial about something that presents itself as a moral imperative is an act of spiritual cowardice. Much better that denial be in the service of personal courage -- to use a dash of delusion to propel oneself into facing up, and standing up.

www.care2.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">source

Denial is simply refusing to acknowledge that an event has occurred. The person affected simply acts as if nothing has happened, behaving in ways that others may see as bizarre. In its full form, it is totally subconscious, and sufferers may be as mystified by the behaviour of people around them as those people are by the behaviour of the sufferers. It may also have a significant conscious element, where the sufferer is simply 'turning a blind eye' to an uncomfortable situation. Denial is a form of repression, where stressful thoughts are banned from memory. If I do not think about it, then I do not suffer the associated stress have to deal with it. However, people engaging in Denial can pay a high cost in terms of the psychic energy needed to maintain the denial state. Repression and Denial are two primary defence mechanisms which everybody uses. Children find denial easier, as with age, the ego matures and understands more about the "objective reality" it must operate within.

changingminds.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">source

So after our quick journey through the meaning of denial, the word repression is seen to be a form of denial. This is the main point I am trying to reveal. Look at this quote from ATS

[Deny ignorance is what we do. It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen. Ignorance is the social disease of history. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance. We deny it. It’s not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength. Here, ignorance is denied.]

So in this very statement our very own advancement is jeopardised because unwittingly we are leading ourselves on the path of repression. As many may know through experience, to repress empowers. To put a plug on a volcano, just means its going to explode in an uncontrollable way, where as if we were to use that energy we could also put it to the good work of revealing the truth. What do you think? I am interested in hearing each of your ideas on this subject as I feel this would really get ATS rolling. My suggestion is that a much better slogan would be……………..
Enter ATS & Transcend Ignorance!!!
once we start, the will be nothing stoping us anywhere anytime.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
i agree - to deny ignorance means to some extent to IGNORE it. This is never helpful. Ignorance needs to be educated. So ATS should be a forum to educate in order to transcend.

But on some of these threads it seems that education is ignored in favor of one upmanship in proving MY knowledge. I guess that's human nature.

The threads I enjoy the most are the ones where there is discussion of people's ideas and opinions as opposed to arguments because I am right and know more than you do ... Oh sorry... you"re talking about ATS and I wandered off into utopia!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

For this to work there would need to be a recap of everything that has ever came to light on a given subject at the start of every thread. The reason most people cant proceed towards some kind of ultimate truth is because they're bombarded with so much evidence and speculation. They cant remember what made sense and what was BS. All you do is argue either way at any given time. So all you can do is draw your own conlusions. Then i bet when you put these conclusions in a thread here on ATS. People will just argue the toss as to whether its believeable or not.

Denying ignorance has got nothing to do with anything. Its just a catchy slogan which suggests that some kind of truth will be gained if you traul through the thousands of threads on this site and participate in discussions. I think you've been here long enough to realise that this is'nt true.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I deny the existence of this thread because it is a repost.
Naughty, naughty.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal

Denying ignorance has got nothing to do with anything. Its just a catchy slogan which suggests that some kind of truth will be gained if you traul through the thousands of threads on this site and participate in discussions. I think you've been here long enough to realise that this is'nt true.

I like your standpoint, what are you saying, that ATS does not deny ignorance? On the other hand, I can see what you mean about being caught in a wheel with no way out, or let’s say a never ending story. But being here will help you to update your view and eventually take a bigger leap towards the truth. Every journey starts somewhere; it’s when no attempt to leave your home town (your inherited consciousness) that no chance of reaching the truth can be even imagined.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

I deny the existence of this thread because it is a repost.
Naughty, naughty.

This is correct and I am aware of this.
You can deny as much as you want, but the truth remains.......

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mizd18

But on some of these threads it seems that education is ignored in favor of one upmanship in proving MY knowledge. I guess that's human nature.

The threads I enjoy the most are the ones where there is discussion of people's ideas and opinions as opposed to arguments because I am right and know more than you do ... Oh sorry... you"re talking about ATS and I wandered off into utopia!

To be fair its a part of human nature, there are many levels. As for utopia, the sky is the limit and why not make some space for utopian ideas.Idealy we will be able to relate in the threads we find more beneficial for us on an individual level. I feel we are all able to live in any particular reality as a human. Only we dont know our options, this is our beggining in that sense so lets go for the best.

top topics

join