It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatwoods Monster real or hoax?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I know this has been posted before over the years but I have such a deep interest in this case I think it should be rediscussed.

This case always intrigued me because of the type of entity described by the witnesses..It is completely unknown whether the Flatwoods Monster existed. Perhaps it didn't, perhaps it did, just like any other alien sighting, nobody knows for certain. I believe what they saw was real..what about you? Or what do you think it was?

The Flatwoods Monster incident, which occurred in Braxton, West Virginia, on Sept. 12, 1952. During this strange incident, eyewitnesses say they saw an alien craft land and then stumbled upon its terrifying occupant According to the reports, this creature was huge, at least 10 feet tall. its face gave off a reddish glow, and its body was green in colour. Its head was shaped like a heart or Ace of Spades, and out of this strangely shaped head bulged non-human eyes. The body is described as being shaped similar to a mans and dressed in some sort of dark clothing resembling a skirt. Reports ranged from the creature having no visible arms to short, stubby arms ending in long claw-like fingers.

Flatwoods Monster Story

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I've always liked the Flatwoods Monster case, it's one of the few of the more outlandish stories I believe and I think it has a lot to do with how odd the creature's description is. Not being immediately lumped in with the Nordics and Greys everyone else seems to see helps also as I think a lot of them are just copy cats.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern
I've always liked the Flatwoods Monster case, it's one of the few of the more outlandish stories I believe and I think it has a lot to do with how odd the creature's description is. Not being immediately lumped in with the Nordics and Greys everyone else seems to see helps also as I think a lot of them are just copy cats.

You know from the looks of them things they kind of look like a demon. I believe the story 5 kids cannot come up with the same story and drawings unless they premeditated the story together. But I dont think they did premeditate it personally.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is also one of the few "out there" cases that I believe in. I'm not really sure why. Maybe the evidence seems pretty convincing...maybe they just tell a good story,..maybe it's just so creepy and bizarre and unique that I want to believe it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
For some years I thought this was just some absurd yarn. I think it's because I was inclined to believe the debunkers (who, as Stan Friedman points out, were a little less than intellectually rigorous in their investigations).

But over the years I've come to believe the people with firsthand experience--that is, the people directly involved. Of course there have been who-knows how many thousands of odd occurrences since then; and at some point you just have to start believing that something is going on.

My current belief is that it was perhaps some kind of device, or at least a projection of some kind of device meant to keep people away from the danger of the disabled disk....

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charizard
This is also one of the few "out there" cases that I believe in. I'm not really sure why. Maybe the evidence seems pretty convincing...maybe they just tell a good story,..maybe it's just so creepy and bizarre and unique that I want to believe it.

I agree its just so out there for a story that it makes you think..I truly believe this story and i don't with many Ive read..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
For some years I thought this was just some absurd yarn. I think it's because I was inclined to believe the debunkers (who, as Stan Friedman points out, were a little less than intellectually rigorous in their investigations).

But over the years I've come to believe the people with firsthand experience--that is, the people directly involved. Of course there have been who-knows how many thousands of odd occurrences since then; and at some point you just have to start believing that something is going on.

My current belief is that it was perhaps some kind of device, or at least a projection of some kind of device meant to keep people away from the danger of the disabled disk....

I never thought of it that way as a device or projection to keep people away from the disk.I agree at some point we have to believe some of these stories there is just to much out there unexplained

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I drive through there all the time on the way to WVU for football games. To this day there still is close to nothing in Flatwoods besides a couple truck stops and a fast food place or two. I just can't imagine the people back then making up a story like that. Its not really how the people of West Virginia are, especially back then.

Did they see an alien? Maybe. Did those people see something out of the ordinary? Absolutely.

PS The truck stops there sell Flatwoods Monster t-shirts

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CameronWV
I drive through there all the time on the way to WVU for football games. To this day there still is close to nothing in Flatwoods besides a couple truck stops and a fast food place or two. I just can't imagine the people back then making up a story like that. Its not really how the people of West Virginia are, especially back then.

Did they see an alien? Maybe. Did those people see something out of the ordinary? Absolutely.

PS The truck stops there sell Flatwoods Monster t-shirts

I'm not sure id want to lIve in Flatwoods after that sighting i would be terrified its one of the most chilling siteing Ive ever read about..Id buy a Flatwoods Monster t-shirt just to say i was there..and your right i cant imagine that story was made up

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There was a lot of UFO activity in that particular time period. Feschino,s book SHOOT THEM DOWN
documents this activity in quite detail. I would highly recomend this read to any serious researcher.
There was an abnormaly high rate of "crashes" or "lost" fighter jets flown by experienced WWII and
Korean Veteran Pilots.The supposition was that there was an air war going on with alien craft and the Flatwood sighting was attributed to a "wounded" UFO forced to land. After it made the neccesary repairs it left the area but not without first leaving fear and terror with the residents of this small community. If you see the sketches that Feschino made by the description of the wittnesses, you can't help but to see our demon friends the reptilians?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
There was a lot of UFO activity in that particular time period. Feschino,s book SHOOT THEM DOWN
documents this activity in quite detail. I would highly recomend this read to any serious researcher.
There was an abnormaly high rate of "crashes" or "lost" fighter jets flown by experienced WWII and
Korean Veteran Pilots.The supposition was that there was an air war going on with alien craft and the Flatwood sighting was attributed to a "wounded" UFO forced to land. After it made the neccesary repairs it left the area but not without first leaving fear and terror with the residents of this small community. If you see the sketches that Feschino made by the description of the wittnesses, you can't help but to see our demon friends the reptilians?

Hello Leo
I'm going to buy that book by Feschino SHOOT THEM DOWN sounds like a good read..I was wondering myself about the
reptilians because of the arms ending in long claw-like fingers sure sounds like our demon friends the pictures of whatever it was looks just terrifying..thank you for the reply
~~cookie

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CameronWV

I agree with you opinion. There has to be some credibility to this sighting.
Yuo have to keep in mind that in that particular time frame there was an extreme
ammount of UFO activitey throughout the whole country. Communication at that
time was limmited to radio, tv. and newspapers and this kind of thing was looked
upon as a laughing matter and not to be taken seriously. Also, you did not have the interstate
as you do know so flatwoods would be an isolated community tucked way back in the hills of W.Va.
For what reason would these children, playing football on a warm summer eve, fabricate a story like this that would bring about unwanted national attention to this little town. They experienced something bizzare and unusual, no doubt. What it is or was still remains to be seen

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729

what evidence do you have that there was abnormal amount of crashes and losses in this period?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

Read the book SHOOT THEM DOWN by Frank Feschino
I am only relaying what he has researched.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This has always been one of my favorite cases. I have always believed that this was a real case because:

1) The sincerity and consistency of Kathleen May and the children.

2) The physical effects some of the witnesses suffered.

3) The fact that in the days before and after the sighting other witnesses reported seeing a similar being in the Flatwoods area.

4) The skeptics had to really reach to debunk this. Joe "it was an owl" Nickell claims that the witnesses had to have seen a meteor, plane lights, and a startled owl to make his theory work and it just seems to be relying on a lot of coincidences to explain this away.

I have always been intrigued by the similarities between the Flatwoods Monster and Moth Man and wonder if they are related.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

Hello Angry

While the flatwoods incident occured in the early 50s', Mothman was a product of the mid 60's'
I dont think there is any corrilary between the two incidents. The only common denominator is that they
both occured in W.Va.. Flatwoods was UFO related while the mothman was a sighiting of a bizzare creature
with no mention of a UFO presence.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729

Hi Leo!

While it is true that 14 years separated the Flatwoods and Mothman incidents the two "monsters" descriptions are very similar.  A creature over 7 feet tall, with red glowing eyes, avian characteristics, that fly or glide over the ground. If you discount the late, great Frank Frazetta's illustration that was used on the cover of The Mothman Prophecies (and was the basis of the Mothman statue in Point Pleasant) but which has NO similarities at all to original witness descriptions of Mothman, and do a side by side comparison of the drawings by witnesses you can see some similarities.

You mentioned Flatwoods as being a UFO event and Mothman as not being UFO related but I am not so sure. If you go back to witness testimony in the Mothman case you see that while no one reported a glowing red orb crashing into the hill side there were reports from people of radio interference and an electrical hum. That doesn't even take into account all of the "men in black" reports and other weirdness John Keel reported in his book.

Not to mention that Mothman was dismissed as an owl by some people, too.

I am not saying the two cases are definitely related but I think the similarities are interesting.

edit on 3/30/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Smiley troubles!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

Hi Angry

That is an interesting perspective that you present with some relationship between Flatwoods and Mothman.
I have always looked at them as seperate incidents. I think we can agree that something extremley bizzare
happened in both incidents generated by some common source that is responsable for all of this phenom.
The Feschino book SHOOT THEM DOWN is an extremley well documented account relating to Flatwoods.
Also, I grew up in the 50's and lived 40 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line in the southern suburbs of a major industrial city so you can say that this happened in my back yard.There was a lot of UFO activity in the surrounding area at that time. I was 9 yrs old when this incident occured and vividly remember the witnesses
being interviewed on the tv show WE The People. Being around the same age as some of the boys I was
immediatley caught up with ufos. this was my intro to the subject. I was probabley the only 9 yr old in western pa that read three newspapers a day looking for anything related to this subject.
The Mothman Prophesise's by the late John Keele is,in my opinion, the best book written on this subject.
He also published several other books on relate matters. I would recomend reading This Haunted Planet
Oh by the way, love yer Avatar!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Pretty hard to mistake a heart for a spade in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I agree big diffrence!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join