It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans Still Call our Language English?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is gonna be a shorter post but anyways I really just wanna ask this question...Why is American language still called English...I know it is because its the langauge that was spoken by the English founding fathers but that was over 300 years ago. I just dont know why it has stuck as the name of this countrys language. We speak nothing like they did then and different from how they speak now in England. I know that its basically the same words and all and how we write them but Americas language has totally evoloved from the English that it stems from. Over the years Americans have developed their own distinct way of using it. If you have a English and American person in front of you the difference is very noticable...So why havent we changed our language to American? Instead of everything like your tv when youre setting it up ask you what language. Or on websites or other things when it asks you what language you prefer...I prefer American...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
For the same reason Brazilians still call their language Portuguese.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Because you still speak English. The language has evolved over time and has different dialects but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's still English.
I think it's pompous and self important for a country to try to change the name of the language they speak when they are not the birthplace of the language.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

You seem to have little grasp of either the American or UK versions of the English language so I fail to see why this topic is causing you any concern at all.

Maybe you would like us to create a new language called gdaublish?

edit on 28-3-2011 by davespanners because: bad englishness

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I just can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Are you brain dead?
It is the same language. Did you eat paint chips as a child? Live under power lines?
Get a hobby. With all do respect of coarse.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I wouldn't make a deal about it. It's just a name and i wouldn't like telling someone "Oh, yes i speak American" but It's like Mexico-->Mexicans-->Spanish-->Espanol or however you spell it...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Its because its still the English language with just a few words changed and on top of that the American accents can still be found where they originate from in England.

No such thing as the American language buddy.
edit on 28/3/11 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
I'm sorry, but I just can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Are you brain dead?
It is the same language. Did you eat paint chips as a child? Live under power lines?
Get a hobby. With all do respect of coarse.

lol ..you made me giggle but you too have been at the paint chips haven't you?

With all DUE respect of COURSE.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Yeah, guilty. Side effects are typos.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well even here in the states some one from New York speaks completely different then someone from the deep south. Would we then have to make sub languages of this new language?

such as redneckese and newyorkhipsterese

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread. Do you call french fries "freedom fries" too?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
No reason to be so hostile..bullocks....stop being so serious about S#it people...God!!!...It really doesnt matter if some think im stupid or ate too many paint chips...smoked and done alot of other things that probably effectefd the brain cells more than the brain could handle but im definately not stupid...All i did is ask a simple questions expecting to get simple answers but of caorse not...theres always those who like to beliddle people to make there pointless existance seem a little more important for a moment...but if this country did everything else to distance itself from england i just dont see the point in keeping english as the name of our language...because the way they talk compared to the way americans talk is totally different..yeah its the same word sfor the most part but we use them so much differently

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

I believe that is something we or at least I would care to forget about.
Though I'm sure there are some people in this country who still believe it is a great idea.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
That's why we (non-americans) call it "american-english"

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

lol freedom fries

and i think -ELahrairah- has the correct answer for this whole thread "redneckese and newyorkhipsterese" couldnt say it better
edit on 28-3-2011 by Whirpool because: forgot more

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Deeep breath.
Stop taking things so seriously. Paint chip addiction is a disease. One day at a time, and typos will be drastically reduced.

I'm joking. Sorry I pissed in your cheerios. Can we be friends? Wanna ride bikes?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Whirpool

I speak spanglish pretty well. I was raised speaking coonass though. You know, Louisiana deep swamp talk.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
There hasn't been enough time past for America to claim it's own language. A thousand years past might be long enough. Maybe the American dictionary will have enough changes and differences from actual English that it will be more of a reason to change the name. How about Spanish and Portuguese? Similar language in ways but different in others. Did they both come straight from Latin or did one come from the other? This could be an example of what your asking.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

im not the one being over serious...its a simple question...and since when has this site have its members be spell checkers? make sure to look for them typos...really? pointing out persons simple mistakes to make yourself look more intelligent? why bother? if people on this site are as smart as they believe they are then i think it would be easy enough to figure them out...really,if if people arent getting what im asking then i apologize...maybe if i worded it differently it would have made a difference...or not to all ya that live in great britian,england or whatever other names your country has...and whats so GREAT about it? im sorry if posting this thread has disturbed your early morning tea and crumpets/scones/biscuits

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

You might be interested in this:

List of Dialects of the English Language

First thing you'll notice is that there are hundreds of entries. I was in the Navy, and I've heard dialects of English that for the life of me I would never have identified as the English language.

Hope this is not too far off-topic....

<<   2 >>

join