It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona was al-Qaida Hotbed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
July 23, 2004
Billy House and Dennis Wagner
The Arizona Republic

WASHINGTON - Osama bin Laden's top agent for procuring weapons of mass destruction was among several key al-Qaida figures who attended the University of Arizona or lived in Tucson during the 1980s and early 1990s, according to the Sept. 11 commission's final report, released Thursday.

john

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
My husband and I read this article last night online. Honestly, we weren't shocked or surprised. In hindsight, we can see so many disturbing things that happened here prior to 9/11. Of course, there were the pilots who trained here in Phoenix. Then, the infamous "Phoenix Memo". Then, our strange feelings, about 10 days before 9/11, when we were flying out of Phoenix and didn't get on the plane because of the weird activity of several people waiting for the plane and just plain creepy vibes.
There are two things, related to 9/11, in hindisght that we've discussed over and over.
1. We are thrifters and we shopping at a local Goodwill one night in late summer 2001. My husband collects tee-shirts and he found several with Arabic writing and pictures of men in turbans. Just because they were unusual, he decided to buy them. When we started to check out, the checker, an Arab-American woman, said "These are very bad people..they ruined my country and put women into veils...I will not sell these." She then threw them in the trash. Many times, since then, we've wondered if they were the disgarded clothes of some of the hijackers who'd trained in our area.
2. This is somewhat unsettling and I can't go into great detail, but, about 3 days after 9/11, we were sitting outside our favorite coffee shop. Two white, twenty-something, investment banker types were discussing something and, because my husband is in the investment business, his attention was piqued. They were saying how that they were "lucky" that their manager had not allowed a wire transfer, for a large amount of money to go through. Otherwise, they said they might have been caught up in the investigation of 9/11. The wire transfer was for a large sum of money and was from Spain from a man named Mustafah. Being somewhat in shock from recent events, we didn't react immediately and didn't have the presence of mind to take down their license number. But, the next day, we did go to the FBI with the information. We were interviewed fairly thoroughly but, because we had no license number, we were told there wasn't much follow up that could be done. However, they said they were "Aware" of the situation.
We have often wondered if these guys were bragging or just total idiots to be discussing this, in loud voices, in a public place. It still remains a mystery to us.
The weird thing is this: I've wondered several times how or if I should reveal this info on the ATS board. I don't want to look like a sensationalist or someone out for a story. But, it's nagged at me ever since it happened.
There are several large mosques in Arizona. One is in Tempe, right next to the parish I attended. In the days after 9/11, it was truly spooky to hear there nightly call to prayers as I was at mass. This has nothing to do with feelings over Islam, but because I sensed that some of the planning had been done in Arizona area.
Excuse these ramblings. I've had them on my mind for nearly 3 years and the article in The Republic has allowed me to feel a little freer in discussing them.
Make of them what you will. They are really just a strange series of coincidences and may not add up to anything. However, to have experienced them all in total, over a period of about 1 month prior to 9/11 and just afterwards, was chilling.
joey

[edit on 23-7-2004 by joey]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I live in Arizona too and my cousin recently took a trip to Tucson and got lost. While trying to find his way he ended up on Rita Rd. off Hwy 10 south of Tucson. I believe it was exit 23, not sure now though, but he had to piss and followed a footrail back off of the road. He came upon a clearing with hundreds of backpacks some deteriorated. Inside some of them were black terrorist masks and gloves. We theorized that the smugglers did not want their cargo to recognize each other and made them wear the masks during their crossing. Seemed suspicious as hell to me and something that has been happening for a while, but he did not want to report it.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
YuP I too have encountered stange happenings in PHX Sky harbour Airport

I know all middle eastern people are not terrorists but when you are walking in a airport and see a group of people standing talking im arabic then suddenly quite when approached by security ... one needs to wonder

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Agreed about Sky Harbor. I know it may seem as if I'm "giving in to terrorism", but I'm extremely leery of flying out of Sky Harbor. Of course, this has limited my flying recently.
I've seen too many weird things at Sky Harbor to feel entirely safe (and I'm not really the best flyer anyway).
The entire "Phoenix Connection" to Al Queda is bothersome.
We've even theorized that there are several reasons why so many Al Queda were here:
1. The flying schools of course
2. A fairly large Arab population that could be easily blended into
3. Proximity to a largely unpatrolled border and
4. (Don't laugh) The weather, landscape and topography are very similar to the Middle East. When I see pics of Baghdad, I think they are showing photos of Phoenix. It's uncanny.
Well, hopefully, our FBI office is at least somewhat on top of things.
joey in phoenix

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think there could be alot more Al Queda operatives building up in several major cities near both borders. I too live in Phoenix, in the mid-90s I drove a shuttle for a holiday inn, there were alot of tight-knit groups of muslim men taking flight lessons, I had to drop them off at deer valley airport frequently, I never thought anything of it, but after it was learned that the WTC attackers took flight lessons in the valley, it makes ya wonder if you may have been driving terrorists around. They always seemed cold and didnt really even acknowledge you. But they probably were just unfriendly people, and it was before 9/11 so it couldnt have been that they thought we mistrusted them, kinda weird, but that doesnt mean theyre terrorists, although the possibility was certainly there. There have been large numbers of illegal middle-easterners coming up through the mexican borders, and if they have the money to pay the coyotes to bring em across, who knows where that money could come from. It is so easy to get across, theres no doubt some Al-Queda have come up from there, they could be deliberately building in numbers, an invisible invasion, as long as they dont dress like mujahadeen they could blend right in and unleash a barrage of attacks collaberatively. Imagine what that would do to this country, there would be unimagineable panic and disorder, mob attacks on anybody who even looks arab, not a pretty picture. I hope that does not occur, but weve gotta control our borders, no matter how hard a task it may seem. Get our men out of Iraq, launch pre-emptive, devastating covert
attacks on militant strongholds and meeting places abroad through effective reformed intelligence agencies, and place OUR troops on the borders to protect OUR country, not to die in a far away land for $%$#ing Halliburton.

[edit on 24-7-2004 by jd27]

[edit on 24-7-2004 by jd27]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Very scarey post!!!!!!
This is a trivial thing, but it takes on new significance, with all the news about so many AQ operatives, supposedly, having been in the Phoenix area. As I mentioned before, I'm a thrifter. Actually, I'm a vintage clothing dealer. Anyway, I spend a lot of time at Goodwill etc. In the months prior to 9/11, I commented to my husband about the large number of womens' Muslim outfits I was finding. In fact, I bought some. Now, the Phoenix Republic is reporting that the operatives often came with their families and were told to "blend in". This may seem weird, but I now wonder if all these womens' Arab/Muslim garb was dumped at Goodwill.
I could understand it if it was after 9/11 because a lot of Muslim women would decide not to wear the traditional clothing because of prejudice directed at them.
Oh well, the whole thing is scarey as hell. The border is so porous and, as you say, coyotes will bring anyone across for the right amount of money..or anything for that matter. The mind boggles.
joey

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I lived in Phoenix for 16 years. I moved from there in February of 2001.

I regularly flew in and out of Sky Harbor for years. I am not a religous person, but something the last year or so started to creep into my mind everytime I flew out of there. Those take-offs were the only time I prayed.

My neighborhood in Phoenix, downtown, was full of seihks(sp). And my neighborhood store was owned and operated by a Christian Iraqi couple. They were some of the nicest people. I went there for years, and they always remembered me and my wife.

Other then the flying though, nothing ever really struck me as out of place. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
last year there was a report that the brother of a us senator who has a ranch near herford azrizona where lots of illegals cross found a notebook in arabic while fixing his barbed wire fences that the illegals break-

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Slam dunk! I've been looking for a way to link 9/11 to Arizona so I could invade it. I expect to be digging that mass murdering SOB John McCain out of his spider hole any day now.

This PROVES my theory all along that my pre-emptive air strike on Flagstaff was justified. Those weren't abandoned mines, there were Al-Queda caves.

My mighty coalition of Puerto Rico, Rhode Island and Nerdling will be liberating the Arizona people any day now. McCain will pay for his harboring of the terrorists that hate the very freedom of the freedom loving Rhode Islanders, Puerto Ricans (and Nerdling).

And I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you Wyoming is full of cowards that hate freedom too. Though they didn't do anything, they don't support the War On Arizona and as a result will not be sharing in the spoils of giant hole and donkey ride tourism.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
www.tombstonetumbleweed.com...
www.tombstonetumbleweed.com...

article from the tombstone tumbleweed link is above-i belive its true because when i was younger and foolish i crossed the border a few times true the desert with friends!

you need to call your congressman and yell to prevent the next 911!
Information officer Andy Adame, from the Border Patrol Tucson sector says, “I guarantee it’s not true.”
However, seasoned Border Patrol field agents have shared some disturbing information with the Tumbleweed as well as other civilian sources with the hope the information will make it to the general public.
The Tumbleweed has verified information that a flood of middle-eastern males have been caught entering the country illegally east of Douglas, Arizona. The increased patrols in the Huachuca Mountains area of Cochise County, seems to have diverted the flow of OTM’s, “other than Mexicans” east to the Chiricahua Mountains.
Adame, who says many of the agents in the area are “green”, questions why they would have shared the information with the Tumbleweed or any other source. “Our policy is to turn any OTM’s over to the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security,” Adame said in a phone call made to the Tumbleweed Wednesday morning.
For reasons of National security, Adame said his agency cannot talk about the origin of nationaity, however Adame says that since October 1, 2003, the beginning of the fiscal year for Border Patrol, agents in the Tucson sector have apprehended 5,510 illegals from countries other than Mexico or other central or South American countries. Adame described them as “people from all over the world”.
In the last month, the Tumbleweed has confirmed at least two documented accounts of Border Patrol agents encountering large groups of non-Spanish speaking males in the Chiricahua foothills and on trails along the high mountain areas.
On or about the early morning hours of June 13, 2004 Border patrol agents from the Willcox station encountered a large group of suspected illegal border crossers, estimated to be around 158, just east of the Sanders Ranch near the foothills of the Chiricauha Mountains. 71 suspected illegal aliens were apprehended; among them were 53 males of middle-eastern descent.
According to a Border Patrol field agent, the men were suspected to be Iranian or possibly Syrian nationals. “One thing’s for sure: these guys didn’t speak Spanish and after we questioned them harder we discovered they spoke poor English with a middle-eastern accent; then we caught them speaking to each other in Arabic…this is ridiculous that we don't take this more seriously, and we’re told not to say a thing to the media, but I have to,” said the agent, who spoke to the Tumbleweed with the promise of anonymity.
Adame confirms the groups of illegals were apprehended on those dates in the same area but stated, “There were no middle easterners in the group. Every single one of them was Mexican.”
The field agent stated the men were wearing the traditional uniform of migrants - baseball caps, tennis shoes, some had work boots, denim jeans and many had t-shirts with patriotic American flags and slogans. The agent added the following description “A curious thing I noticed was that they all had brand new clothing and they looked as if they had just been to the barber shop--you know--new haircuts. They were clean cut and they all had almost the exact same cut of mustaches.”
The information was corroborated by a local rancher in the area who reports that sightings of groups similar to these are on the rise. The rancher reports that groups of heavily armed paramilitary drug smugglers have also been seen in the same area.
“We’ve had groups in the hundreds coming through again. They were gone for awhile but now they're back. And of course we have the drug mules again and many are carrying automatic weapons. Many other ranchers in the area have been frustrated with the lack of response from Border Patrol. After calling over and over again to the Willcox headquarters, we might get a response a few hours later. We call them in to the Border Patrol, we only have the Willcox station, and they’re so darned far away. By the time they send in the helicopters these groups are long gone. I don’t know how many they catch but they’re coming through here heavy right now.”
On or about the evening of June 21, 2004, agents from the Willcox Border Patrol station apprehended 24 members of a larger group of Arabic speaking males located just east of the Pierce/Sunsites area of Cochise County. At least half of the males escaped capture and disappeared into the United States.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Slam dunk! I've been looking for a way to link 9/11 to Arizona so I could invade it. I expect to be digging that mass murdering SOB John McCain out of his spider hole any day now.

This PROVES my theory all along that my pre-emptive air strike on Flagstaff was justified. Those weren't abandoned mines, there were Al-Queda caves.

My mighty coalition of Puerto Rico, Rhode Island and Nerdling will be liberating the Arizona people any day now. McCain will pay for his harboring of the terrorists that hate the very freedom of the freedom loving Rhode Islanders, Puerto Ricans (and Nerdling).

And I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you Wyoming is full of cowards that hate freedom too. Though they didn't do anything, they don't support the War On Arizona and as a result will not be sharing in the spoils of giant hole and donkey ride tourism.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Whoops, I forgot to post my reply !!! LOL

When you decide to invade Arizona, could you please not bomb John McCain's house directly? It's only 1/2 mile from mine and, I swear, I'm just an innocent bystander to McCain and everything else in Arizona.
joey

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Good luck finding Mccain Rant, he has several body doubles.

new topics

top topics

join