It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hows this for a contridiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
A young woman is murdered..the first on the scene EMT snaps a picture of the corpse and pastes it on facebook.
As reported in the online news article

It was a paramedic who took the crime scene photos, and posted them on the site, but is Facebook, itself, to blame?

It’s a case of what the family is calling “disrespecting the dead,” reports CBS 2’s John Slattery.

Martha and Ronald Wimmer think that the photographing and posting of their daughter’s brutalized body is just more than they can stand.

Here is what sounds absolutely crazy

Because Facebook is a not-for-profit community bulletin board, it’s protected by a 1996 law. The Communications Decency Act that gives Facebook immunity. The Wimmers’ attorney said what Facebook did was wrong."

Something termed the Communication DECENCY act gives facebook immunity for a person using their site to post an image of a murdered girl...Decency?

So my question is should both the EMT and Facebook have to atone for this rediculous act of indecency? Should they compenate the family? Should facebook members at a minimum demand that facebook increase it's standards of operation?
edit on 28-3-2011 by chrismarco because: Neglected to post link

Link
edit on 28-3-2011 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Mar 28 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Facebook in no way at all should be held responsible. It's not like they have a staff of people sitting at a computer looking at every picture that's being uploaded all over the world and screening them.

The EMT I'm sure violated terms of service by uploading a picture like that. I won't even say what I think he should get. He's a a sick POS as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I don't know how this works, but i hardly think facebook is to blame, anyone can go on there and post what they want. Maybe, if facebook had known about this picture, and done nothing to get it removed, then yes, they need to be punished.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Facebook is guiltless

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

My title I think should have said the Hypocrasy of the Decency Act..Contradiction probably not the most appropriate title I was looking for..

new topics

top topics

join