It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead whale washes up in Virginia Beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16bc5d1253b6.jpg[/atsimg]

Virgina Beach, Virginia - A dead whale, approximately 35-40 feet in length, was found washed up on the beach in Sandbridge Sunday morning.

The Virginia Aquarium's Stranding Response Team responded to the scene to secure the animal to the beach so it didn't get washed back into the ocean, said Virginia Aquarium spokesperson Joan Barns.

Barns told WAVY.com that the whale is known as a Sei (say) whale and is not very common for the area, although they do show up from time to time in local waters.

The Virginia Aquarium will conduct a necropsy (animal autopsy) on the whale tomorrow morning at low tide to determine a cause of death. Samples will be taken from the animal and sent to various institutions for general research purposes as well, said Barns.

I do enjoy reading that they have a stranding response team, good to know that if he was alive at least there is people out there who care.

Maybe this guy died of a natural cause, but I doubt it, with all the animals washing up on our shores, something weird is going on.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 28-3-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

at least there is people out there who care.

Yes, at the least, there are a small few...

It's going to get worse.
I'm so sorry I cannot be more optimistic about this.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well the waters around the Chesapeake Bay are polluted as hell and there is a ton of marine traffic there as well so who knows. Yea the Virginia Beach Science Museum/ Aquarium has a ton of marine biologist there and doesn't surprise me at all that they have a team for this. The museum is great by the way if your ever there you should visit. At one point they were gonna build a HUGE tank for a whale there but I think they scrapped it.
edit on 28-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Damn, this sux.

I live 40 mins away from Va Beach.

This isnt good for me and my people. This wouldnt be from radiation would it?

The Va Department of Health Monitoring Air, Water and Food for Radiation services are saying there are low levels of radiation in the area but why cause a panic, right? It's radiation none the less.

Good find, its good to have a heads up.

centreville.patch.com...

new topics

top topics

join