It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers hit Gillard, ministers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Hackers hit Gillard, ministers

au.news.yahoo.com

Thousands of emails are believed to have been accessed in the cyber attacks.

Four Australian government sources confirmed with the newspapers they had been told Chinese intelligence agencies were part of a list of suspected hackers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Not sure were they are going with this??
The Australian govt has been talking about restricting internet access and possibly making a fibre optic network which will replace the internet is australia and will be fully controlled by Australian Govt...

Internet censorship in Australia currently consists of a regulatory regime under which the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has the power to enforce content restrictions on Internet content hosted within Australia, and maintain a "black-list" of overseas websites which is then provided for use in filtering software.

Since October 2008, the governing Australian Labor Party has proposed to extend Internet censorship to a system of mandatory filtering of overseas websites which are, or potentially would be, "refused classification" (RC) in Australia. This means that internet service providers would be required to block access to such content for all users.

Internet censorship in Australia

au.news.yahoo.com
edit on 28-3-2011 by dniMnepO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

S&F

Governments really really want control of the internet. It is just too easy for individuals to have a major impact with the internet.

I was part of a small hand full of people who derailed a US House bill a Corporate carte wanted passed. They had to do a lot of damage control and wait till the lame duck session to get a compromise bill passed instead.

Good luck to you guys down under in fighting this.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

News Ltd newspapers report

Lol surprise, surprise who would've thought they'd be the ones trying to spread this news.

News limited is owned by News corp which is headed by Rupert Murdoch and located in the Rockefeller complex.

Were talking the same company as fox news, super trustworthy news right there

The internet is a major threat to all sorts of people in positions of power and they are willing to cooperate against a common enemy to get the censorship happening.
edit on 28-3-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

We shouldn't forget that there are serious security risks with the internet. Too many important things are online for us to take too many chances. I am sure that, when the new national nets are set up, people will find a way around them anyway. Censorship never works.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
If they get this NBN up and running we are doomed to fake news and PR spin forever. Proxy to the rescue.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It's like Australia was founded to be a physically and now digitally impenetrable island fortress!

When our internet is censored perhaps we downunder could set up a clubhouse and have ATS international members send us printed pages of interesting threads etc.?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
It's like Australia was founded to be a physically and now digitally impenetrable island fortress!

When our internet is censored perhaps we downunder could set up a clubhouse and have ATS international members send us printed pages of interesting threads etc.?

haha thanks for the laugh, you guys are right. I reckon the reason the legislations wern't passed was because they realised how flawed their idea was to use software in Australia to restrict websites.... Ofcourse any decent software engineer is going to be able to get around this very quickly. We all need to work together on this one to keep the WWW active!! I think we should start doing some research into privately owned ISP's. Find a trusting one that gives you a back up landline (dial up) connection because I got a feeling were going to need it in the near future.....

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dniMnepO
Not sure were they are going with this??
The Australian govt has been talking about restricting internet access and possibly making a fibre optic network which will replace the internet is australia and will be fully controlled by Australian Govt...

Internet censorship in Australia currently consists of a regulatory regime under which the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has the power to enforce content restrictions on Internet content hosted within Australia, and maintain a "black-list" of overseas websites which is then provided for use in filtering software.

Since October 2008, the governing Australian Labor Party has proposed to extend Internet censorship to a system of mandatory filtering of overseas websites which are, or potentially would be, "refused classification" (RC) in Australia. This means that internet service providers would be required to block access to such content for all users.

Internet censorship in Australia

au.news.yahoo.com
edit on 28-3-2011 by dniMnepO because: (no reason given)

First, the fiber network is being built as we type.

Secondly, what do you mean you don't know where they are going with this?
Where's there to go with it?
Hacking by the Chinese is becoming a bigger and bigger problem every year.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

Several comments:

1. I agree that Chinese (State/Party sponsored or otherwise) hacking is a growing problem.
  2. Walling off your country in an effort to promote national security and the safety of your citizens is a nice step toward where China is today with it's "Great Firewall"
  3. Those of us in China who wish to access or create forbidden content are readily equipped to leap over that "Great Firewall" - and the billions they've spent has done little to stop us.

edit on 2011-3-29 by JustSomeIdiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JustSomeIdiot

If you can jump outside the firewall whats to say people cant jump inside it?
Interesting... Why are the chinese govt agencies hacking our govt computers??? what do they have to gain? thats what I dont get...
I dont see how they are going to fully secure the WWW without making their own complete alternative to it for Aus users only.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

The comps they hacked were low security..
Just servers they use to speak with constituents..

There's no way the Government can or will use this event for stricter censorship..
Though I'm sure they will quickly create a more sinister attack if and when it's needed..
Currently the NBN is still not even close..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
NBN won't hit major cities for quite a number of years yet, think i read Sydney until 2017-18.

Here's hoping that was Anonymous , now that would be funny and scary for censorship.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Perhaps the 'idea' of censorship of the internet is being tried out on Australia to see how people in one country will react to this intrusion and what methods they will use to get around it. Far cheaper to install it world-wide once you have flushed out the 'problem areas'.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
Perhaps the 'idea' of censorship of the internet is being tried out on Australia to see how people in one country will react to this intrusion and what methods they will use to get around it. Far cheaper to install it world-wide once you have flushed out the 'problem areas'.

Perhaps, but It seems to me there is already a fairly large 'experiment' going on in which around 450 million daily Internet users out of a 1.3 billion person population are 'participating'. The results from this test have so far not been quite as good as the sponsors had hoped - but they keep trying...

I am not sure what a relatively small additional test with a sponsor less willing to invest in the latest equipment and techniques could possibly contribute to the 'cause'.

join