It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casting Call: Survival documentary turns to ATS for experts...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hmm, I really don't know of any survival experts off the top of my head.

But that is because I don't frequent the survivor forum...

To be perfectly honest.... Semper does come to mind. With his military training, being a cop and what not.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I can only see this as a good thing, one that will hopefully inform or at least shine a light of concern on an important topic that unfortunately far too many have not a clue about. The 'zombies', as JacKatMtn oft refers to on the All Things Survival radio show.. Those folks who would rather quickly find themselves up the proverbial creek with no paddle, no clue, and no plans or prior preparations.

I don't know about you folks, but I'd damn site want to at least know that We, the members of ATS, stepped up to the plate per se and did our level best in an attempt to afford those potential 'zombies' the knowledge and/or ability to perhaps have a fighting chance should things go south. (?)

As Bill mentions in the OP,

This network is currently putting together a show that highlights the ubiquitous nature of preparing for regional, national, and global disasters.

These type 'disasters' or emergencies could range from a mere days long power outage to that of Katrina, recent events in Japan, etc ... what have you.

While I'm sure they're going to want to 'run the gamut' of 'how to prepare' for almost Any type 'survival' situation, I would think it quite likely that their core and overall focus be on the more immediate type situations such as extended power outages, destructive floods and environmental circumstances as opposed to the likes of cold war era type situations or scenarios.

I'm sure it doesn't have to be the whole 'camo dude', with an arsenal of weaponry, living bug out -style in the hills of West-by-God Virginny ... but more everything from that of the most mundane such as camping supplies, first aide, knowing how to identify wild plants and what not that are safe to eat, prepare and consume to that of 'survival skills' ... knowing how to construct, build or provide proper shelter if need be ... knowing how to actually grow, prepare, store and save your own food if the situation were to arise requiring such.

From the Survival Forum alone I'm positive there's a Wealth of information, techniques, knowledge and Know How readily available for and to those who otherwise would find themselves *bleeped* if any sort of SHTF scenario actually came to pass or be.

Perhaps we can help reduce their numbers, 'the zombies' that is, and even possibly afford others that fighting chance they may very well need to make it through in a time of need.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Just what I said, wanted to make sure we are all on the same level/page mod or Member. It would be terrible if they excluded Mods for any reason, not sure who will make the final casting decisions but it should not matter who you are, how long you have been here or your stats, just what you have to bring to the table.

This is something very timely not only for us but the entire viewing audience. Truly a brilliant idea.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
There was a casting call about a month ago on craigslist looking for those knowledgeable in survival skills for the Discovery Channel.....dsc.discovery.com...

I plan on auditioning for flytying and fishing skills.

Here is a casting call especially appropriate for ATS members.

pilgrimfilms.tv...
edit on 29-3-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by lastrebel
I dont think Nomad Survivalism would fit into there mindset.

Nor mine: Stock up on enough liquor and cigarettes to barter for whatever you need.

And if that doesn't work... well... we got booze and cigs.

I dont need to stock up on booze..........I make great moonshine...after TSHTF I would be the new JP Morgan

In a pinch.......You can use it for gas

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Good, but how will this play out?

Will this be another lame reality show that focuses on the drama, more than the substance.. To make it "entertaining" ... To educate and inform, or to have subjects of the fringe culture exposed and open to ridicule and jokes?

Here we have a family, a survivalist family, members of ATS, who also believe in government conspiracies, aliens and UFOs, reptilians and more "entertaining" stuff!

So people, what's in your bugout bag, and what are you most afraid of?

Is that how this will go?

Stay tuned!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

What state are you filming in, I assume your not going to travel all over the US?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
While sharing specific techniques for dealing with particular situations is valuable and worthy in their own right, I think the real value of using ATS'ers lies in showing the thought process that led to the selection of those techniques.

I've found that there is a unique collaborative mind here: we form subject clusters of expert, knowledgeable, intuitive, and well-connected people. Please note that those designators describe different people. We sort through raw and processed data swiftly, there is a remarkable correction feedback loop, and we have the advantage of the "naive innocent" who stumbles across exactly the right way to ask a question that connects the dots in an unexpected way the experts couldn't predict.

What is remarkable about the feedback loop is that even when a member gets emotionally involved with the incorrect answer, usually the more or less factually correct version is speedily discovered and presented from enough different directions that consensus evolves in short order.

The greatest value we can offer then, is teaching a way of collecting and viewing data, thinking them through, deriving several appropriate conclusions from them and formulating alternative action plans. We can share our cooperative thinking model and help remove some of the impulse to distrust the neighbors, giving the viewer an alternative to the "everyone panics and goes cutthroat" mentality.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Exactly...
The real stuff on ATS is its peer review. It is a very unique system. This applies to literally every forum on these boards. However, the show will not be about how people came to the conclusion they need to prepare for sit x. It will be "Here is Joe Blow. He is a survivalist. Here is what he does."...

The way this will be perceived by a viewing audience is that Joe Blow is one of 350 million people who think the world is about to end for some "crazy" reason and no matter the intentions of the producers it will cast a negative light on the participants. Why? Because they are not the norm...

At first the truth is ridiculed.
Then the truth is violently opposed.
Finally the truth is accepted as if it were always so.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

make us look like fools? whos us? im not effected by anyone's opinion. and certainly not anyone claiming to be "IT" yet being a moronic colossus in the process.

doesnt effect me. why should it effect you. are you investing?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I trust any of the big TV Networks about as much as I trust my previous boss, The Red Queen.

Glad I won't be considered.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
I haven't signed on in a long time, but this thread is just horrible.

It's either phishing for lists/photos and whatever info you send on people who are prepared, or it's asking people who are trying to get away from everything to show everyone everything.

This scares me about this site, here's the owner asking you to tell your secrets to him in hopes to be on some fairy tale TV show.

I'm sure he'll destroy all the lists he collects of his members who are prepared, with what and where, after picking "winners".

Some times, paranoia is just paranoia.

If one worries over who knows they are "prepared", I have to ask myself just how "prepared" they really are... after all, it means they AREN'T prepared to be found, so what ELSE might they not have prepared for?

I don't mind telling that I've got next to nothing laid back in the way of "preparation", but I have no doubt at all that I can get through whatever comes - with bubble gum, shoestrings, paper clips, a wee bit of knowledge, and the one most important factor in the entire equation - DETERMINATION.

Who would ever be able to steal any of that, and how?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

The greatest value we can offer then, is teaching a way of collecting and viewing data, thinking them through, deriving several appropriate conclusions from them and formulating alternative action plans. We can share our cooperative thinking model and help remove some of the impulse to distrust the neighbors, giving the viewer an alternative to the "everyone panics and goes cutthroat" mentality.

Here is short snippet of what I wrote to the TV production company regarding survival:

"Regardless of what causes a general breakdown ,much of surviving will be about families and communities being able to work cooperatively, not waiting for someone else to come to the rescue.
The romance of the lone wolf idea is a recipe for disaster for most."

Kinda makes government list irrelevant, doesn't it? Maybe that wouldn't make good television as it sounds too much like the Waltons. Totally unglamorous, lacking in violence and bravado. Good interpersonal skills may be the most important survival skill of all. How many of us are good public speakers? mediators? planners?
Even though I have long prepared to survive alone in the wilderness if necessary the reality is that few of us (me included) would last long in such a scenario, nor would I really care too.
Let's face it - man is a social animal. Nearly all of us have loved ones who we would not abandon. The lone wolf survivor type makes for a cool image but little else. Real life survival situations bring out the best in most of us but that doesn't make good television since we seem to require a bad guy/good guy plot to nearly every narrative.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Perhaps we can help reduce their numbers, 'the zombies' that is, and even possibly afford others that fighting chance they may very well need to make it through in a time of need.

And by helping to increase their numbers, we also increase our own chance of survival. More resources, more cooperation, less crime and chaos. It is mutually beneficial for those of us that are prepared, to continue to help others get prepared as well.

For those worried about a government list of survivalists, I work for the government, and we are not nearly organized enough to handily wield such a list in good times, so there is no chance of us nefariously using such a list during chaotic times!

Trust me, the government is its own worst enemy, and it is also made up of a bunch of people, and people have their own families, fears, agendas, etc. When SHTF, don't be looking to the government as a friend or an enemy, just look at it as another victim.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think some of you might be missing the point, as I understand it, it's a documentary on preppers and the lifestyle, it's not a survival show. I think it's more of the mindset, how you particularly go about prepping and why. I'd do it. Personally, I feel like there are a lot of misconceptions about us. I think way too many people lump preppers in with anti government loons and militia types, or that we're nuts. But that's just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Did ya know I can say "Don't Shoot Me" in seven different languages????
now there's a survival skill....

I think to many are to caught up in the Hollywood disaster epic and just cant see how right now American infrastructure is so fragile that it's not going to take a killer comet of Mega volcano to disrupt our lives... Bump the price of gas to $10 bucks a gallon and see what happens to our society... cut funding to food stamps and see how cordial your neighbours are... it wouldnt take much just a small jab in just the right place.

It's cool to see yourself standing behind a Ma-deuce letting lose at full rock-n-roll and saving the pretty girls...but not so cool scratching in the dirt to trying to keep your tomatoes alive so you have something to eat... Reality sucks... that's why we have CGI and stunt doubles... Your right man... to much BS on this subject and not enough common sense

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Loon, nuts or pragmatists, there must be a vital aim in the project.

And that is to educate mankind what to do, and more CRITICALLY, how to recover, when SHTF.

It can be entertaining, moralistic, educational, or plain boring if the camera crew are unskilled, host inept, and producer lethagic, but it must never deviate from the principal aim.

With that aim in mind, I am sure it will be a success worldwide, as currently, there are no shows, documentary or even movies that teaches how mankind or its remnants to recover and rebuild society and civilisation, more so as alarming threats to our civilisation are beginning to surface...

The highly successful Survivor series by Burnett, at least with the initial few, has no honesty and truth in its attempts, but only show and proven the darkside nature of humanity.

If it is reality that the producers wanted to portray to the mankind, it should have an ending, whereby after kicking out everyone else utilitarianly, the one that survives using his darkside would be given the million dollars, and made to stay on the island by himself, with no escape, and see how long he can last with those paper notes......
edit on 30-3-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i am wondering why no one has said yes? do you not wish that we would all be able to survive? or are you all that selfish? I would do it but i doubt i would be picked, i am not one of the "gung ho" types just real world know how.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm curious why so many people are paranoid about the idea of storage and preparation? Not 2 generations ago (true for most of our grandparents) self-sufficiency, food storage, personal/home safety, farming, hunting, fishing, etc. would have been normal, everyday, obvious stuff. When did it change, that those who live this way now, are considered paranoid, strange or dangerous? Granted, a few are, but I would argue that is not the majority.

This is now a time when the largest numbers of humans are living in urban centers, not rural. This is relatively new to human civilization and within a generation, many of the skills of the past, are being lost. I think one day, this may come back to bite us. The mega-city style cannot sustain the billions on the planet for long... something will tip that scale and people will suffer for having lost touch with basic skills.

edit on 30-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
i am wondering why no one has said yes? do you not wish that we would all be able to survive? or are you all that selfish? I would do it but i doubt i would be picked, i am not one of the "gung ho" types just real world know how.

I'll tell you why I didn't say yes...
I can see having a film crew on my place as being disrupting to my family... Pseudo stardom corrupting my teenagers... yeah like most folks on here I could use the extra money but... when you sit down and think about it the less it sounds appealing to me

Now if it were structured like home improvement and they needed an expert in my field to go out and help with a weekend project... that I would do...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join