It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says too much testing makes education boring

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

You bring up a great point.

It's counterproductive to have an education system that assumes everybody is going to go to college and become an office worker. Considering the number of people that actually DO go on to do that is low, you are just wasting the time that COULD be used to teach children a trade, or real world life skills.

What's the point is wasting time learning biology or physics when you are going to become a plumber? I know I know, being education on a subject even if you aren't going to make it a profession is a good thing, but I think it's much more important to teach children how to survive in the world. Then, once they are older with an actual career that supports them, they can attend community college or pursue additional education by themselves.

The current model seems to be "teach the kids to know a LITTLE about a LOT. It's hard to have a successful career when you don't know a LOT about a little.

The assumption everyone is going to go to college, and educating them accordingly is a huge mistake that is simply making another generation of kids with very little worth to the job market.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Obama wants us to be passive, easy, easy...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Seems to me it's not the tests that are the problem but rather the teaching methods..
Schools are graded by how many students pass and are thus more interested in results than education..
Results probably affect their amount of money received and student intake..

So maybe drop the screening of schools based on results and instead let teachers teach..

<< 1   >>

join