It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to send information faster (much faster) than light

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Information, in relativity theory, is thought to not travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which has an index of refraction of 1.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Like Freddy Kruger or the Terminator, this idea keeps being reincarnated. Your tin-cans on a string idea is worthy of its own McGyver episode. The truth is, when you pull on one end of a rope or rod, you produce a sound wave which propagates toward the other end at whatever the speed of sound is in the material . For aluminum, it's about 6.42 km/s. The fastest natural material is diamond, with a speed of sound about 12 km/s. In the future, perhaps carbon nanotubes or boron nitride nanotubes will be faster. But we will never get anywhere near the speed of light, which is 300,000 km/s.
edit on 2011/3/28 by Phractal Phil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
If you really want to transmit information faster than light speed, you could just tell my sister.

This reminds me of something a coworker of mine used to say - "Information travels no faster than the speed of light. Gossip, innuendo and idiocy all seem to know no such speed limit."

new topics

<< 1   >>

join