It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Battle for Tripoli will be a Bloody one.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The recent move by the international community to enforce a no fly zone of Libyan airspace has changed the course of what may well have become incredibly bloody yet short civil war. It was not so long ago the rebellion forces in Libya were on the brink of defeat and they were saved at zero hour by a momentous decision by the international community, a decision I agreed with but now I have some questions. This action has quite literally put the rebels on the road to Tripoli and the demise of the Gaddafi regime. However despite agreeing with the initial decision to assist the rebels and destroy the Gaddafi regime, I fear this may lead to a bloody battle when they reach Tripoli.

Before the move by the international community, it was apparent from the various news reports that Libya was a country of two sides, one side in the west who had strong support for the Gaddafi and the rebels in the east. It is also clear that Gaddafi still has some strong support from both the civilian population and from the military most of which is cantered in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.

With the support of the might of the International air power over the country the rebels have started to penetrate into the western regions of Libya and it won’t be long before they reach Tripoli and when this happens the die-hard supporters of Gaddafi are going to meet the fanatical rebels forces set on destroying his government. This will be urban warfare, the air power and missiles of the international community will be of little use. Both sides will suffer massive casualties, the battle for Tripoli will be a bloody one.

This raises some important questions, whilst it seems obvious that the conclusion to this conflict will be bloody, there is very little focus on this in the media and it seems that the military are doing very little to prevent it. For me it also seems to be contradictory the UN resolution to protect civilians, there will be massive collateral damage, I often wonder whether it is to protect the rebels or to protect innocent civilians. If the international community took action to protect Benghazi from the military then why are they not doing more to protect Tripoli form the rebels.

Considering we don’t even actually know yet who these rebels are and what their agenda is, would a more sensible course of action not be to use the UN no fly zone to stop rebel forces marching into Tripoli and causing a massacre. The International community should be legally obliged to do this under UN resolution 1973 as failure to prevent this battle will lead to death of countless civilians. We don’t know how merciful or just the rebels will be when they take down Gaddafi’s government, they will kill his followers during the battle. In the aftermath of the battle, assuming that they win, the smart thinking for them would be to defend themselves form a coup and as such kill all of Gaddafi’s old followers who have survived the battle.

If the international community do not stop the battle for Tripoli and seek a diplomatic solution the blood of the innocent will be on their hands.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I was against the no-fly zone. I am against any other type of intervention there. Get our soldiers/marines/airmen the heck out of there. We have no business there whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
The recent move by the international community to enforce a no fly zone of Libyan airspace has changed the course of what may well have become incredibly bloody yet short civil war. It was not so long ago the rebellion forces in Libya were on the brink of defeat and they were saved at zero hour by a momentous decision by the international community, a decision I agreed with but now I have some questions. This action has quite literally put the rebels on the road to Tripoli and the demise of the Gaddafi regime. However despite agreeing with the initial decision to assist the rebels and destroy the Gaddafi regime, I fear this may lead to a bloody battle when they reach Tripoli.

I starred and flagged your thread not because I agree with everything said but because you are the first one I've read since this mess started who has the balls enough to admit they supported the intervention and NOW has second thoughts. Of course it's about OIL...

It's always about OIL. [And Weapons sales]

I'm surprised people are shocked and or surprised about it being about OIL. This is exactly why the Russians are all up in arms over this whole situation. If the EU finds a cheaper more reliable source for fuel than the Russians, then that threatens the Russians major source of revenue. [Fuel Sales to the EU/China] not to mention arms sales to Libya and Iran.

Keep in mind this is also the major reason the Russians support Iran. [The Russians are not a bunch of warm and fuzzy humanitarians] There are sanctions in place against Iranian fuel sales to the EU as well. The Russians don't want any change in that situation either. So if Iran's sanctions come off that will be yet another contender with Russia for EU/China Fuel sales.

Nobody on any side of this are just a bunch of warm and fuzzy humanitarians.

It will get bloodier before it gets better

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The battle for Tripoli will go through. That will be the battle for the Central Bank of Lybia. And the bankers are going to want to convert it into a EU/USA friendly bank that they can control. We already have a guy who was teaching in Washington go to Lybia to run the economy for the rebels and hes already made deals to sale oil to Qatar.
edit on 28-3-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The UN resolution has clearly forwarned all loyal to old goofy that they will be targeted if they fail to follow the resolution. So the bloodbath that you claim possible is indeed highly probable. That being said no pleas to prevent this from occurring will stop it from happening. Whats more it is beyond justifiable, as threats and mental instability of a dictator warrant all necessary measures to END thier rule for the greater good of mankind.

This didnt start there and wont end there, and lets just say that there will be much more to come. Would you have the military wait till you are forced to convert or die? A New World Order Indeed, enough is enough...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I can't believe this. What are you suggesting should have been done OP? Let the ghadafi loyalists kill all the rebels? This is about supporting the rebels and helping them win the fight against an oppressive regime. Is it bad to help the good guys defeat the oppressors?

Seriously...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I don’t think you have quite grasped the point I am trying to make in this thread. I am no fan of Gaddafi, I support the rebels and their efforts to remove him from power. However I do not condone the killing of innocents because of their political believes either way. I think the International forces behind the no fly zone should use it to enforce a ceasefire to prevent massive casualties on both sides and properly explore a diplomatic solution. They don’t even know who will take control of country once Gaddafi is gone.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

The time for cease-fires is over. Two opportunities were violated and both factions expressed an interest in continuing the fight. Both sides just want to settle this thing once and for all, especially the rebels.

Besides, history shows that dealings with dictators never end as expected.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Yes but UN resolution 1973 was supposed to utilise the no fly zone to enforce a ceasefire not encourage the civil war. It has gone far enough, they should hold off from advancing into Tripoli until there has at least been a shore ceasefire and some attempt a diplomatic solution and establishing a viable alternative government.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by kevinunknown

I starred and flagged your thread not because I agree with everything said but because you are the first one I've read since this mess started who has the balls enough to admit they supported the intervention and NOW has second thoughts. Of course it's about OIL...

It's always about OIL. [And Weapons sales]

I'm surprised people are shocked and or surprised about it being about OIL. This is exactly why the Russians are all up in arms over this whole situation. If the EU finds a cheaper more reliable source for fuel than the Russians, then that threatens the Russians major source of revenue. [Fuel Sales to the EU/China] not to mention arms sales to Libya and Iran.

Keep in mind this is also the major reason the Russians support Iran. [The Russians are not a bunch of warm and fuzzy humanitarians] There are sanctions in place against Iranian fuel sales to the EU as well. The Russians don't want any change in that situation either. So if Iran's sanctions come off that will be yet another contender with Russia for EU/China Fuel sales.

Nobody on any side of this are just a bunch of warm and fuzzy humanitarians.

It will get bloodier before it gets better

What I don't understand about that whole ordeal though...if Russia has got it's panties up in a bunch over the EU getting alternative fuel sources. Why didnt they veto it in the UN? They've got absolute veto-rights, meaning they could've easily prevented the whole intervention in Libya to begin with.

Once again...all is fishy as hell.

edit on 28-3-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Why do you think America has pulled out they don't want any more blame leave it to the them to sort it out we've taken most of the big weapons out the picture no it's down to the nitty gritty and it's time for civilians and children to leave the capital we should evacuate the danger zones to refugee camps to those who want to go if gadaffi realy cared about his people he would have stept down can't believe anyone is still on his side he's a sell out

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Very good question....
They and or the Chinese could have each blocked it separately or together yet they both abstained...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Arn't the French selling Russia warships?

That could explain the lack of the veto from them. As for China, hmm. There has to be something that was exchanged. China got a number of oil contracts in Iraq, maybe they'll get some more fields in Libya.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I am split on how i think we should have handled the situation. On one hand we have no bis over there and no money to fund another war let alnoe man power is running low. But on the other hand were we supposed to just sit back and watch people with handguns and ak47s fight aginst f16s and tanks?? Now since we went in and helped Libya it will be hard to explane not going into syria or bahrain, so to me it's good and bad.
edit on 29-3-2011 by badgerman24 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I posted this days ago in the 'Middle East on Fire' thread long in anticipation for people like the OP. The end of the beast's and his minions rule that had brough suffering to too many of our libyan brothers and sisters, are comming to an end soon.

==============================

As for Libya, the stalemate continues between the Rebellion and the Beast's forces.

It calls for a final solution then.

Historical records in BOTH the holy books of Koran and the Bible tells the report of Soddom and Gomorrah being destroyed, on account of its horrid and barbaric activities going there. Our ancestor Abraham had tried to coax and even negotiated with the Almighty to spare those cities, and He agreed, provided if Abraham and his nephew Lot could even find just a handful of good men there, but none were found.

Today, Libya is our common Creator's and humanity's wrath, for the Beast had mass murdered many of creation and our fellow brothers and sisters. Not only is divine wrath awaiting, so too is humanity's. But being humans, and the Beast and his minions are but a flawed human. we must seek ways to ensure the final solution is fair.

OPERATION ODDESSY TWILIGHT:-

Mission: To destroy the encamped Beast with his minions whom had sworn to die in Tripoli and to save as many of Libyans as possible.

Phase 1, H+--I week:- The Rebellion forces with coalition and Nato forces air cover with planes and helicopters, to set up a safe zone area to hold hundreds of thousand Tripoli residents. Tentages, beddings, lockers and water sanitation devices be installed with those areas a few km on the outskirts of Tripoli.

Each 10 tentages, meant for a family, will be the lowest unit to keep order. Security will be provided on air and on ground by Rebellion forces.

Phase 2, H-72 hours. - All electrical units and water supplies within Tripoli will be cut off. A warning will be sounded out to Tripoli residents to evacuate to the Rebellion safe sounds. As there are snipers and armed goons of the beast patrolling Tripoli by day and night, all movement by civilians must be made under cover of the night, prefferably under a moonless night, with compass.

They only need to bring their families and titledeeds to the homes, which will be recognised by the Rebellion.

Phase 3. H hour. Tripoli will be levelled to the ground by bombs, just as the Beast had attempted to do so in Rebellion held cities, but with a difference - The Rebellion takes all measures to protect those civilians there by creating safe zones they can evacuate to. Any one still staying in Tripoli will be treated as the Beast's goons - bunch of animals whom had supported the mass murders of fellow Libyans and our fellow brothers and sisters, to be exterminated.

Phase 4. H+ 6hrs. Rebellion forces to mop up the city of Tripoli, rescuing any of those alive and give them aid. Those that resist will be destroyed, just as the Beasts and sons will be if found.

Phase 5. H+24hrs. Reconstruction and rebuilding of Tripoli to begin, with the wealth that Libya can bring, and not neccessary to be the capital city. Residents of Tripoli with title deeds to their previous home will occupy the new premises at no cost.

Should this proposal be taken, I would appeal even on bended knees upon a ground of broken glasses for the inhabitants of Tripoli to take heed and not be held hostage or support the mass murderer anymore, and to evacuate. Every human is precious, and when the Rebellion has won, EVERYONE will have a voice, a new FREE country fit for humans and a role model state for all ME.

To Gaddafi and goons whom I know are reading this:- I, only an insignificant nobody, understand your position, and had not change my offer. Salvation is for all, but retribution is necessary for redemption to happen, more so for the mass murderer. Thousands of your victims screamed daily for justice.

Your end will come, but you still have the free will to choose your exit. One with guns ablazing, dying a hero by your own standards but not humanity's, or UNCONDITIONALLY SURRENDER to face justice, sparing the lives of those whom you held hostage or brainwashed, and be spared eternal damnation by our common Creator, a far worse fate that even the devil could not accept and need company like you to share his misery.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I don’t quite get what your saying, are you using the phrase “Beast” in reference to the Devil?

If so, yes I agree he is evil, but no, I do not think of this as some paranormal battle between the forces of good and the forces of evil.

new topics

top topics

join