It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the sociopath/psychopath be cured?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I was wondering if it seems to you, as it does me, that Western capitalistic 'Democracy' is very conducive for the empathy-less brain, and hence will be slow to view those people as mentaly ill. Such as George W., Big Banksters, many here would say Obama, certainly, I'll bet, Bill Clinton, and the heads of Corporations, those men who do stuff like pollute, give money to politicians so they can keep polluting for profits, outsource American jobs and hid their money from US taxation. Etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I've always wondered what would happen if a psychopath took MDMA or some other psychedelic...As they are known to change brain structure. It might not cure them, but it would definitely do some permanent change for the better.

Also, I have a hard time believing psychopaths lack ANY emotion. The mind doesn't work that way. Emotions are controlled by volume knobs in the brain. These are called receptors. Neurotransmitters like Serotonin, Dopamine, NMDA modulate these receptors... They turn the volume knobs up or down (very basically). I'm thinking maybe some receptor density problems are to blame. Or maybe some foreign infection, like a parasite, or fungus is creating some chemical imposter that is turning down the volume.
edit on 29-3-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

'___' + the selfcentered brain. Hm! That IS most intriguing. Psychadelics do make people more spiritual, they do have brain changing capabilities, which is why aboriginal shamans incorporated them in their spirit quests.
Could that be one reason for the PTB's "war on drugs"?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I'd be very interested to hear your definition of each of these because it isn't clear to me at all. I agree that they can't experience (or process) experiences the way other people or situations really are and that they seem to believe that they have some kind of logic going on. I, personally, see major contradictions in what you've said concerning a situation as I know it. Maybe clarification would resolve that?
No doubt this is something that's very hard to generalize, but I would ask you about potential and opportunity. In some cases, isn't it possible (or even likely- as in the case of someone like Daumer or Son of Sam; as examples) that they have led a pretty unsocial existence and have had little opportunity for trouble with the law up until they finally, after a long time, get caught?
Looking at anti social personality issues in general, there are some contradictions or maybe confusion with this. A narcissist will often wind up in a position of authority (even though many of those around them will be at least vaguely aware that it's a really unhealthy situation) while a passive-aggressive will usually suffer very definite consequences in their jobs/ careers. Both have extreme difficulty maintaining close personal relationships, if they have any at all and both have issues with authority, but they can have varying degrees of self preservation that keeps them in check when it is a threat to them as with law enforcement. Do you see what I'm getting at?
I

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

IMO the problem of the lack of empathy demonstrated in increasing prevalence in western society stems from an addidction to mass media, not democracy. Movies, TV, gaming hypnotizes the nervous system and bathes the brain in abnormal levels of its own neurotransmitters. Addiction results.

To add insult to injury the MSM feeds a continuous fare of fear and ridiculous need maufacturing. None has a clue of who they are and what their real needs are.

It's all really screwed up Sociopaths generally excell in bussiness and politics so they rise to the top. Our narcissist-in-chief is a perfect example.
edit on 29-3-2011 by robyn because: spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice I'm thinking maybe some receptor density problems are to blame. Or maybe some foreign infection, like a parasite, or fungus is creating some chemical imposter that is turning down the volume.

Interesting thought. possible ?
Also with siblings, why would one be effected yet not the other ?
As for medication, the WORST thing is to have a sociopath/ psychopath
on prosac / paxil esp. if they have violent tendencies.
and illegal drugs only deepens their world of invincibility.
Daily doses of Niacin (B3) seems to tone down the rhetoric.

. . . Also keeping a written diary of their incidences
is definitely beneficial; Sociopaths just don't like being exposed,
but the more they are exposed the more they'll need to deal with
their condition.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tarnished Templar

I have never been diagnosed as a sociopath nor really a psychopath, (borderline personality, Bi-Polar, PTSD, depression, addictions, etc), but I wanted to try and answer anyway, from my prospective: I don't think there is a dang thing wrong with me, (until the winter months when my depression REALLY kicks in...THEN I can see my thought processes might not be 100% normal when I am thinking of suicide, murder and darkness....). My thoughts and belief system are my own and quite sane to me. Who defines "sane" anyway? Just because I don't conform doesn't make me insane, in my book. You see, to me, it is ALL ABOUT THE VIEW. In other words, how we choose to interpret and process what we see, feel, hear, etc is "reality" to us. I can see something and based on my past...on how I have learned to process and understand certain input...make an interpretation of what I have seen..."reality" and yet another person can see the very same thing I did and based on THEIR interpretations, THEIR map, so to speak of viewing the world....come to a completely different conclusion...thus a different "reality". Who is right? And based on what?
So, no....I don't think you can "cure" something that doesn't exist. If a person cannot function in society because of their interpretation of reality, then they are outcasts and socially unacceptable.....like the pedophile who lived in seclusion to avoid acting on his impulses.
I hope this didn't read "crazy" (hehe) and that I made some kind of point.
Now back to plotting the take-over of the world........

Peace, Ya'll

d(-_-)b

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
THEIR map, so to speak of viewing the world....come to a completely different conclusion...thus a different "reality". Who is right? And based on what?

It really comes down to basic social manners

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Anybody who wants to change can change. Recognizing with shame that certain past actions were very bad ideas, and having a realistic sense of what one is as well as a sense of what one wishes to be, is the big prerequisite. It's not all it takes, but it opens the initial door.

What those various old men from the past who walked around in deserts said about repentance - they were on to something.

edit on 29-3-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Cured of what?

The problem with giving someone a "diagnosis" based on an agreed upon symptomology is that it assumes there is a place where everyone "should" be. What people want is not "curing" of those with such tendencies. but enough behavior modification that they don't bother the good people - that or lock them up or kill them. They don't need to be cured of anything, you need to learn what they are and stay away.

As to what they are: they are not wired differently, they are not short serotonin or victims of abuse: folks who show those characteristics are different then most people in a way that can't be understood by dr. fraud's disciples. Their animating energy, the energy people call "souls" is different than the average earther human. In fact, not all body animating energy is the same. The animal kingdom is a collective matrix, the animal kingdom has placed aspects of itself on the earth plane, in bodies, to experience the non-animal form. Those who are in body form for the first time are very awkward on the planet, they act very much like, you guessed it........ animals!

There are other beings on the planet that are NOTHING like the average earther human, and they appear as sociopaths based on this silly diagnostic nonsense. They are not sociopaths, they are simply different at their core. Rather than cure them, simply stay away from them as what they want - often your energy and your attention, is not what you want - life, love, understanding, community. They don't want that stuff, as this is now where they are at.

Categorizing people to death has led to nothing useful. Simply accepting the truth that not everyone is like the supposed baseline of loving, caring, thoughtful people and seeing that what people represent is the level at which they are at. If they think killing is fun, THAT is the level they are at. If they think helping out a neighbor his fun, THAT is where they are at. Trying to get a killer to enjoy helping a neighbor, when understanding this fundamental truth, can only be seen as pissing off the pig - to turn a phrase.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Interesting thread.

I've personally come across at least a handful of psychopaths/sociopaths in my life so far. Once I studied the pathology of it, it became very clear to me that those people had this condition.

It is also much more common than you think - approximately 1 in 20 individuals. There may be an evolutionary advantage to a percentage of the population exhibiting psychopathic/sociopathic behaviour but I also read the reason we are not all like this is because human society would be too selfish and uncooperative and just collapse.

The further you climb in any social hierarchy organisation, the more psychopaths you will find. They are particularly adept at charming others and manipulating them and are entranced by power, wealth, status and greed. They care nothing for the feelings of others. The only thing that matters in their world is themselves.

One I came across totally lacked understanding of the ill health of a family member but cared everything about who she could step on to get on in an organisation - -which appeared to be be much more important than trying to cure her ill relative. She was also obsessed with online gaming that involved stealing other gamers things and would regularly pit colleagues against one another.

In answer to your question, I've read they can't be cured. I also agree with another poster that children should be taught about the dangers of psychopaths so they have an awareness for later life.

Many of the world's worst dictators and tyrants have demonstrated classic psychopathic behaviours. I also believe that psychopaths should be rooted out from obtaining positions of power in the military and in government as some of the world's worst wars have been triggered by megalomaniac psychopaths such as Hitler.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
Anybody who wants to change can change. Recognizing with shame that certain past actions were very bad ideas, and having a realistic sense of what one is as well as a sense of what one wishes to be, is the big prerequisite. It's not all it takes, but it opens the initial door.

What those various old men from the past who walked around in deserts said about repentance - they were on to something.

edit on 29-3-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

For the majority of humans this may be true.

But sociopaths and psychopaths will lie convincingly that they recognise, accept and regret the wrongs of their past actions when in fact this couldn't be further from the truth. In their minds what they did was perfectly acceptable and always will be.

There is no reforming them. They will go on to behave exactly as they did previously in life and will never reform, most likely making someone's life a misery, somewhere.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

"The further you climb in any social hierarchy organisation, the more psychopaths you will find. They are particularly adept at charming others and manipulating them "

Yup. The ones I experienced all had one thing in common, [ to my perception. ] Which was this --edge-- to their personality. It's really really hard to put into words. I always say, it reminds me of when actor Christopher Walken would play a bad guy. Although, the subtlety of it being there, --without-- any overt obvious bad stuff going down, like a ridiculous movie.
I made this post, because I am extremely curious as to if you and any other person, knows what I'm talking about. Otherwise, I'm like, "Is it me, is it just me?!"
The ones of my experience were men. I don't know if I've ever met a woman one, so I don't know if she'd have that same "edge" I'm referring to. I don't know if Hillary Clinton would be one, but there is something spooky, Mulder, about her. I know that. (Not to veer political, though.)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Since there is a strong genetic component, in a word, no.

Recent studies have shown that approximately 4% of any given population is sociopathic, with the gene passed through the mother. It appears to be an adaptation to living in multiple large groups, as it confers an advantage over non-sociopaths.

I've been working on a thread positing that as a natural consequence, genetic sociopaths tend to cluster at the top of any given social or economic system, which would explain a lot of the apparently really stupid decisions made by smart, well-educated people. They aren't stupid when viewed from the point of view of a wealthy sociopath: they quite literally can't see the problems their decisions cause and can't care, they are literally not equipped to think that way.

I suspect that they are a genuine subspecies of humanity, a true race of social vampires preying on normal humanity.

I'll post the links and such when I make the thread about genetic sociopaths.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Don't worry, it's not just you. I think you have to be a pretty perceptive person to recognise the personality traits of psychopaths and sociopaths. Actually, it's a good thing because it means you are very unlikely to be charmed or manipulated by them and hopefully can mange to keep away- unlike others.

I'm not sure of the correlation or ratio of male to female psychopaths, but I would imagine it being more less 50:50. If it is weighted I would imagine it would be more weighted toward men.

You would do well to avoid them in the workplace.

Not sure about Hilary Clinton being one but wouldn't mind putting money on Palin being one. Oh, and check out Imelda Marcos for a lesson in Sociopathology 101.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

I suspect that they are a genuine subspecies of humanity, a true race of social vampires preying on normal humanity.

Your post, and the above quote, hit the nail on the head.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Actually, the prevalence of sociopathy varies from nation to nation, and more apparently from culture to culture. It's most highest in the U.S. , where it's estimated to be ~4% as you state. It's lowest in east-Asian nations where the culture has a high value on collective morals. I can clearly see a huge amount of sociopathic behavior and the radical perspectives they harbor. Many have no clue that what they're talking about is mindless idiocy for anyone with a still intact conscience. Personally, I think that if the average individual in the U.S. isn't an outright sociopath, there's a very good chance he's at least highly narcissistic and passive aggressive.

reply to post by the.lights

It's weighted towards men, I think 4:1 if I'm recalling correctly. Women who are equally narcissistic tend to be labeled as histrionic personality disorder and/or borderline personality disorder. It seems this may have both a hormonal, and social aspect to it.
edit on 29-3-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Thanks for the insight and factual confirmation. Very interesting as I suspected that ratio, (or similar), might be the case.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights

Originally posted by apacheman

Your post, and the above quote, hit the nail on the head.

I think this perspective is both incorrect and tragic.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Care to enlighten us with a reason for this thinking?

I would agree that they are social vampires who prey on the rest of humanity. That's self evident.

What I would contest is the necessity to classify them as a sub-species of humanity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join