It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theism has killed over 2 billion people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SorensDespair
All I've read so far is that people kill people. Their religious beliefs are only a means to displace the blame from the individual or group to a God that is often their own external manifestation of their superego. The same can be said for any justification for killing.

Religion is the excuse used.
American Christians murdered 5,000,000 Southeast Asian Buddhists during the VietNam war.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Freedom is another excuse. Empirical expansion was also used before religious states became the norm.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This guy puts it well

The people who do all the killing are those who use the “end justify the means” type thinking

People who use arrogance, dogma, ignorance as tools to excuse what they do

people who believe they have absolute knowledge with no tests in reality

Whether you like it or not, religions are breeding grounds that produce the kinds of minds that could kill millions in the name of their beliefs

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

American Christians murdered 5,000,000 Southeast Asian Buddhists during the VietNam war.

I thought they were fighting communism. Vietnam was a religious war? Are you sure every american soldier was a christian fighting there because of his beliefs? That's news to me.

I don't know how many people theism has killed. Do you all think it is more, or less than people killed in the name of love, greed, or freedom?

I never hear "people claiming to protect their children have killed billions, thus protecting children is wrong".

Ideas have killed people. Some were really bad ideas. Some of those deaths are really wrong, although the idea behind the action that caused death wasn't. And there are a few deaths that were good things resulting from good ideas (like self-sacrifice to save other people)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
As a Christian...I don't agree with your premise.

However, let's say there is no God... only science and scientific fact.

How many people has science killed. Let's go to only one event...oh, I don't know...how about Fukushima reactor meltdown. How many people in this one event...this one technology provided by the saving graces of science...How many people will die slow torturous deaths, cancers, tumors, birth defects, loss of ecosystems, loss of wildlife, sea life, how many people will be displaced by the wonders of science?

So, based on your paradigm... all scientists are responsible and share and bear the burden of the deaths and deaths yet to be from this one event. As such...all science is evil.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Oh oh! Blaming religion for something that is actually fundamental in the human race! The need to compete for resource and eliminate adversaries. Yes, sometime people make up religions in order to feel better about their killings, or they distort existing religions in order to fit their purpose.

Also claiming that WW2 was a religious war, this is non-sense. Third, we do not count the victims of communism in Eastern Europe ? the communist crimes were committed under the ground of atheism.

In the end, religious or not, humans do love to kill and dominate , conquer and subjugate.The domination game starts at home ,is well practised at work , is expanded in politics and finally highly weaponized in the army! The problem is deep in what we are as human specie , most of us being intelligent animals rather that evolved creatures. A specie in infancy, struggling to become adult and be welcomed in the universe.
edit on 17-4-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Then it is false to it core beliefs, which then in turn makes it false Christianity.

After this biblical event warfare and even capital punishment were to cease, if people are using Theism to kill they are in direct violation of the bibles commands.

Matthew 26: 52 & 53

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. 53 “Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

This shows that the time for man to fight for God's sovereignty on this earth with any weapon that causes death was over. Any christian that used swords and later guns was in direct violation of scripture and would never have God's blessing.

In fact those that kill there brother are condemned as the devils children, since our brothers encompass all mankind we can't be killing anybody or forcing Christianity, or a certain way of life on anybody, right now only God himself has that right, if Jesus didn't do it, should his true followers?

1 John 3: 10-12

This is how God's children and the devil's children are distinguished. No person who fails to practice righteousness and to love his brother is from God. 11 This is the message that you have heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 12Do not be like Cain, who was from the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because what he was doing was evil and his brother's actions were righteous.

Theism would never have killed a soul if it had been practiced they way Jesus intended, instead some very evil men abused it, and yes they did kill billions, either directly or indirectly. And God hates it.
This is all part of the great Apostasy that scripture predicted.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I know the wars are the biggest numbers, but everyone seems to brush over the other stats the OP mentioned. People who watch their kids die because their publishing company tell them they cant get blood transfusions or the ones who let people die from easily taken care of medical issues because they think one word in the 20th translation of a book they think their god had written might mean to stay away from docs etc.

To the one who mentioned sciences deaths, those are not OK either, but even with the quack science and just insane "studies" that were allowed to be done once and probably still get done in secret the death count is no where near what was done in a religions name.

Its not intolerance by another name, you can believe what ever you want in my book. up to the point where you force your views on another, let alone try to take a life in its name. If you would rather die than see a doctor, thats your buisness. religious or not. bullying people into it and making kids die because of it is wrong in my opinion.

As others have said, religions dont kill people, people kill people. its a power thing. Most religions are just remnants of old power. it was how you made it ok to kill and subjugate people. And in my experience most of the ones who claim their core belief is peace and love also say except for those people. Thats not true peace and love.

-M-

p.s.
Didnt realise how old of a thread i dug up sorry. was looking for a place to post something and the search results showed this as more recent and thought it might be relevant but wasnt.
edit on 20-3-2013 by mutly because: What the P.S. says. didnt realise how old the thread was, got caught up in reading.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mutly

People who watch their kids die because their publishing company tell them they cant get blood transfusions or the ones who let people die from easily taken care of medical issues because they think one word in the 20th translation of a book they think their god had written might mean to stay away from docs etc.

Do you honestly think that those numbers amount to much? One person needlessly dying is too many, of course, but you're vastly overblowing the religion / medical issue -- it's the Jehovah's Witnesses (who are just opposed to blood transfusions, they still go to the doctor,) and weird cults like the Followers of Christ. Two billion other Christians happily accept medical care, blood transfusions and other benefits of modern science.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Because there is life, there is also an end to it, at some point, in whatever way.... A lot of time is spent blaming the end of it on this that, who, what, when, where, even the person who lost their life. But that fact of mortality remains, or does it? What about reincarnation? Oops, wrong forum, for I am waxing philosophical now.
But my point is, beliefs, lack of them, behavior, and even just the "natural" or what we are led to believe is natural in the course of events, all end in the same fact of mortality, even if we do reincarnate. So the whole discussion of faith or lack thereof, as a means to blame is just another divide and conquer deal.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Been here done this ....again
Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao all avowed atheists with huge death tolls
And many of your "Religious? wars were about economics and religion was used to garner support.

Jesus taught turn the other cheek but that doesnt concern your argument does it.
Cherry picking to troll IMHO

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join