It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Three years & 6 000WU's***

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Hi all!!

Well, it's a bit of persoan trumpet blowing for me: today, 23rd July 2004 brought up my third year of running SETI@home - and coincided with achieving 6 000WU's, which I thought worthy of reporting (well it's of nterest to *me* anyway!)

Here are two screenshots to confirm these milestones:

Now, onwards to 7 000WU's....

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Congratulations to Genya on a new SETI landmark. Push on through!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
WOW!! GREAT picture Spectre - I would like to "steal" that, if I may??

Thank you so much for your "congrats" - I never realised that both milestones would occur on the same day, until a few weeks ago - then, when SETI@home had it's server problems recently, I started to panic a little bit... Sad, I know, but - as an "addict" yourself, you know these things are important Spectre!!

My only regret is that I couldn't download SETI@home before July 2001 - I knew of the program for probaly a year before hand but something prevented me from downloading it everytime I tried previously. Then, three years ago, I "got lucky" and started the thing going on my (then) P2 233Mhz machine, which took around 35 hours to complete one WU!! I reached 138 WU's on May 20th 2002, incidentally - hardly the type of performance to break records!! (Stupidly, I didn't print off the 100th WU certificate ...)

I achieved my 250th WU on June 12th 2002, my 500th on August 8th 2002 and my 750th on October 2nd 2002.

So, thanx again for the picture and kind thoughts Spectre - and here's to "catching up" with Sinchron soon (where he go??).

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
WOW, and I thought 10 WU was an accomplishment. lol
Then again, 3 years is a long time. Hows the computer holding up.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hi websurfer!!

Well, 10WU's isn't to be "sneezed at" (as we say!) and they are 10 more "ion the bag" for the project - and the team of course!! So, thank you for your contribution!!

Three years *is* a long time, of course - my only regret is that I didn't start running SETI@home from 1999. Whilst I knew about the project in 2000, for some reason I couldn't download it until that "chance" attempt proved successful in July 2001!!

As for "How are the computers holding up" - fine, quite honestly. They run 24/7 365 days a year (even when I'm away!) as I really want them to earn their keep. A "switched off" machine is just an expensive stone really, isn't it??

Thanx for your comments - and good luck in your own pursuit of ET!!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I just noticed I got 143 wu's. Last time I ook i had like 80. Congrats Genya on your achievment!!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
I just noticed I got 143 wu's. Last time I ook i had like 80. Congrats Genya on your achievment!!

Very many congratulations on *your* achievemnt too cpr12r!!
"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow" - you'll be at 25oWU's before too long, my friend!!

Thank you for your congrats too - I really didn't want to create a thread that "flagged" my own achievemnts - truly. What persuaded me to "share" was simply that both milestones were reached on the same day ie if I'd have been on 6010WU's - or even 100 556!! - then I wouldn't have mentioned it was my 3rd "anniversary" at all. I was just amazed, though, at the way both were achieved and thought it worth mentioning here!!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Wow! congratulations Genya! That is quite amazing that the two events coincided with each other. I bet you couldn't have done that if you'd planned it!
here's to many more crunched work units to come

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
..... I bet you couldn't have done that if you'd planned it! ...

Thanx pantha!

That's the thing, isn't it??!!
It wasn't as if I did plan it - if I had churned out 2 000WU's per year, consistently, then it would be a doddle: truth is, with failing to connect, having *this* machine blow up a year ago (motherboard and RAM got fried
), power cuts locally over the past three years, "donating" some WU's to another user, etc - it really was weird that the two events occured on the same day

I started the 46 000WU thread for the same reason, in fact - that the ATS stats board just happened to record that fleeting moment precisely: if it had shown 46 001WU's, or 45 999, I probably wouldn't have "bothered"...

As for continuing to crunch those WU's - yes indeed. And you too pantha:

32nd position = pantha = 1 179WU's!!
Way to go!!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Congrats Genya. I've hit 4306 and running BOINC at the same time. new stats bite all of mine gone. oh well onward ho

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hi nwscc!!

Very many thanx for the "congrats"!!
Also, fantastic job on your

12th position with 4 315WU's too (and most likely to jump a couple of places imminently, too, I'll be bound!)

Sorry to hear about your BOINC situation - I've yet to move over so will undoubtedly be at the bottom of the list when I do the transition. Never mind, it's a "team thing", isn't it?!!

Thanx again nwscc - here's to number-crunching!!

top topics

join