It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA fires the wrong Witch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Is TSA - DHS the same or are they different Nazi organizations...?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Here's a situation for all you aspiring managers: If you were the boss at a U.S. government agency and one of your employees complained that she was afraid of a co-worker's religious practices, what would you do?

Would it change your decision if the religion were Wicca, and the employee feared her co-worker because she thought she might cast a spell on her?

Here's how the Transportation Security Administration handled it:

It fired the witch.

Each person's story is unique, but what happened to Carole A. Smith gives us a glimpse of the work life of the 400,000-plus Wiccans in the United States. And it sheds light on work life at the TSA, where the 40,000-plus public employees who keep bad people and bad things off of airplanes have started voting this month on whether to join a union.

At New York's Albany International Airport on March 12, 2009, transportation security officer Smith was called into the office of the No. 2 TSA boss there, the assistant federal safety director for law enforcement.

Smith, then 49, was a probationary employee, on the job for just seven months. Records show that she'd had several minor disciplinary actions — she'd forgotten her name tag one time, had been a few minutes late, had stayed too long on break — but the agency classified her performance as “satisfactory.”

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
She definitely has a case there...can she draw unemployment when it says she was fired for her religious beliefs?
Don't think she can.

I find it amusing that she was accused of "hexing" a car...then again, been there done that. I was threatened at one point with being fired for using my Tarot cards on break, and wearing a pentagram necklace by a woman that said only crosses should be allowed to be used as an outward expression of beliefs...btw...ended up getting fired a couple weeks later...for going to the bathroom too many times...(I'm diabetic, didn't know it)...what's the odds.

She didn't sound like too bad an employee...but of course, TSA will turn on their own just like they do on the public. Seems that you have to be deaf, dumb, and blind and a butt kisser to even hold your job with those clowns. She's probably thousands of times better off not working for them anymore, and I hope she wins the religious case with the use of a lawyer.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Recognized religion in the US.
She has a case for an unfair dismissal tribunal on the grounds of religious discrimination.

I used to wear a signet ring of a pentacle. The HR Manager used to give me strange "knowing" looks and made on and off jibes abo8ut black candle!

When I asked her how she knew what she thought I was,her response was. "It's my job to know these things" but never actually asked. And i wasn't about to start banging the Pagan and Proud drum.

They never fired me, but I got passed over several times.

Surely I could have just launched a spell, and it would have all gone my way!!

Ahhh that's right, the Rede got in the way!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Sounds to me that you were fired wrongly.
I'd get a lawyer.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I saw this earlier and became engrossed in all the little side searches that kept popping up while looking for other references to the story. The TSA firing a Wiccan for Whistle-Blowing headline sort of begged to be read. And it was not disappointing: It has the TSA, a self-proclaimed Witch, allegations of Stalking and Spell-Casting, Air Security and Safety Issues, Whistle-Blowing, Dating in the Workplace, and – perhaps most importantly – a portrait of a sensitive and caring employee as regards public airline passenger needs. By the way – she was fired.

I’ve already formed my opinions: I find the actions of the TSA unconscionable; find it difficult to believe that the accusing employee actually believed a spell was cast upon her car heater and feared Ms. Smith; accept without question that security and safety issues are present due to TSA employee negligence and lack of concern; and wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Smith’s refusal to sit down and ‘explain’ her religion to a mediation group (based on her grounds – in actuality, educating others about prejudices and biases they may have is usually commendable – IF they are really willing to listen).

After reading the initial article, I did a search to see if I could find any references in the ATS files about it. This thread popped up, but I figured it should also be in the files from the initial act two years ago. A search, however, revealed nothing from that time. Still, it’s not necessarily unusual that a search found nothing; there may be half a dozen threads on it somewhere. Really got sidetracked there a couple times – the story about the Baptist Pastors who captured a Wiccan and were holding him in the basement was pretty good.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
At least she was Wiccan, all she has to do in court is bring up the Rede & explain how long & drawn out spell casting is for them. Think about all the non-Wiccan practitioners out there & how much harder it'd be for them. Most Wiccans are just as hostile as any Christian towards non-Wiccan witches...

new topics

top topics

join