It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Cookies on your computer that you cannot delete

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
the resistance needs to up the ante if it is to have a chance

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
it's part of the W3C spec that defines a cookie which states that it cannot share data across domains. Flash, however, is a different beast. I'm sure a well-versed action-script developer (java/ecma script derivative that lets flash content generate and interact with user-generated data) could easily send info to a 3rd party via embedded querystrings or xml:http requests.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Which Google searches? One domain cannot read another domain's cookies without some very specific cross-domain scripting which would then result in... what? "S98ySnp88SnSuQinIWn802SK_kSHnklW283"

Well, yeah, it would require very specific scripting and that the sites were working together. But it's easily possible.

It's not a script, it's a simple redirect that strips ATS referral data before sending users to Facebook.
Ok, but how is it not a script? The redirection and stripping of the referral data must be written in PHP right? Am I missing something?

edit on 28-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
But it's easily possible.

Actually, no, it's not easy.

]Ok, but how is it not a script?

There's no actual logic/programming involved.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

Thank you so much for this! Took me a LONG time to recognize Comcast had 4 trace files... never knew about this one.

You;ve already gone above and beyond posting this, but if it's not any inconvenience, could you tell me if I can delete the below files? Don't spend anytime researching, really, only if you happen to already know the answer

That flash player install has been shwoing up consistently lately and I've been manually killing it.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Flash, however, is a different beast. I'm sure a well-versed action-script developer (java/ecma script derivative that lets flash content generate and interact with user-generated data) could easily send info to a 3rd party via embedded querystrings or xml:http requests.

Possible, yes.

Share objects are able to store more data than cookies? Yes.

Flash sucks? Yes.

Is there any evidence in the wild that anyone has been harmed or any site is doing something wrong with your data? No.

Deleting all these shared objects, and rejecting them, will suddenly make some sites a bit more of a hassle to use. There's a reason the core foundation of the Flash player allows for local data to be stored. And the reason isn't nefarious cross-domain tracking of users.

Seriously. This is paranoia over "what might happen," with no evidence that anything has happened. If there was a concern, I'd be the first to detail how to correct potential problems.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am in awe of the raw intelligence and memory of you guys to understand the details of programming and computer science in this way, something I could never do.

The safest way I can manage to ensure there is nothing on my computer I don't want is to re-install the OS on a fairly constant basis.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Warning, before you delete any LSO cookies, if you are an avid flash games player, those games save your data in an LSO cookie, you will lose all your stats if you delete them.

Armor Games, Newgrounds.com, etc. all store your game stats this way.
edit on 28-3-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Is there any evidence in the wild that anyone has been harmed or any site is doing something wrong with your data? No.
I find that extremely hard to believe. I find that flash cookies are used for tracking more than anything. I simply don't like all those websites tracking everything I do and having these undeletable LSO's storing all this info about me without me even being aware of it. It's god damn annoying and an invasion of privacy, I'll delete them if I so choose.

Deleting all these shared objects, and rejecting them, will suddenly make some sites a bit more of a hassle to use.
I've been using Better Privacy for over a year now, and I've never had a problem. Ok, well I must admit some times I play Runescape, and my graphics settings will be reset. But that's not really a problem, because I haven't noticed similar problems with any other websites.

EDIT: Oh yes, Newgrounds would be a problem, as stated in the post above this. However you can disable the auto-delete option of Better Privacy and delete individual cookies.

edit on 28-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

I had posted a question never got answered is there a selection or can I get some help also? thanks!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply. I was merely pointing out a "scenario" that could possibly happen - not an accusation. You seem a bit defensive about this topic. Do you know for sure that this has never been exploited?

link   
Why was this thread moved to Hoax?

Wow...I don't know what to say.
The info in this thread has already been proven true, read the replies.
I don't get this.

link   
just thought i'd throw this out there for everybody - CCleaner by Piriform is a killer (and FREE) privacy tool for removal of pretty much any and all junk data on your Windows system...no viruses, no spyware...i've been using it 4ever

it gets rid of Flash cookies, along with a TON of other residual data left on your system by other apps (cache/temp data, browsing history, etc...) including all major web browsers and even Windows itself...it's super popular and very widely used

you can get it for free at Download.Com (CNET site) - just search for CCleaner, or directly from their web site at www.piriform.com...

here's a post from last year showing these guys were all over the Flash cookies
forum.piriform.com...

link   
Hoax?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't believe this...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I've moved this thread to the "HOAX" forum not because I believe the opening post is purposefully proposing false information with the intent to deceive, but because I firmly believe the entire "cookie" issue (either HTTP cookies or shared objects) to be a paranoia that has been artificially created.

I've been creating web applications that rely on cookies since such things were first available in Netscape 0.9b (still using the Mosiac logo at the time), and have been allowing any site to write as many cookies as they like on all my computers ever since. Not once have I ever encountered a problem, or have been concerned about privacy or "tracking."

I wrote about this some time back: The conspiracy of "tracking cookie" paranoia, and created an advocacy site embraced by many: KeepOurWebFree.org.

In my activity within trade groups and "closed email lists" of industry professionals, I've directly witnessed people involved with very large online media properties salivating with excitement over the potential result of unchecked cookie paranoia -- unnecessary laws and regulations that will make it difficult, if not impossible, for independent websites to operate. Seriously.

If anyone can point to a documented case of where cookie data has caused harm (emotional or financial) to someone, I will move this out of hoax. But based on my professional involvement on this issue, there is none that anyone is aware of.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Can someone please point me in the right direction to where I will find the thread titled-
"Removing Secret Cookies(for dummies)"

I am lost.
I don't know the difference between the Batch File, and the Adobe Macromedia site, nor do I know which to do first. Although, the order doesn't really matter because I am not sure how to get either to actually do anything anyways.

Save as Type, gives me 2 choices.
1- Text Document (*.txt)
2- All Files
So I don't know what this is or where it is at- lsoremover.bat

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Not once have I ever encountered a problem, or have been concerned about privacy or "tracking."

I wasn't much concerned either, until I saw the LSO from whitehouse.gov.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I wasn't much concerned either, until I saw the LSO from whitehouse.gov.
Most Government websites love using LSO's, NASA seem to leave one or more every time I visit.

edit on 29-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join