It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Cookies on your computer that you cannot delete

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yep just go to the .macromedia directory, its hidden so you will have to unhide it if your using a gui file browser like nautilus, do this by clicking on the view tab then clicking show hidden files you will find it in your user directory where you find desktop documents etc..

scroll down look for .macromedia, right click it and go to properties at the bottom,
select the permissons tab and set the file acsess to read only
im not a terminal user much i just did it with the GUI in ubuntu.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Thanks for such an educational thread, while we are on the topic is there any other little secret locations or files on a computer that can be deleted or blocked?

I dont mean obviousl things like temp files or cookies either, i mean things that an average/mediocre PC user would not know?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Thanks for the info dude, really helpful

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I've been using all these precautions for some time now (Better Privacy, emptying directories, locking them down, etc.).

But you know what worries me? Now that so many people have discovered these secrets the bad guys will have to come up with something newer and better. Make it your business to search and find out these things, instead of waiting for someone to tell you. Marketers and anti-privacy forces are dangerously and criminally demented when it comes to tracking and following their marks (that is, us). There's no level to which they will not stoop in their endless desperate quest for that almighty dollar. (Or, in the case of government, to snoop for the sake of snooping.)

And if you think I overdramatize....

Privacy Activism

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Perhaps a good time to plug this site:

NoDPI

The forum has some great reading...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Do some reading on VPN's there a good way to get around DPI
www.osattack.com...
www.inputoutput.io...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
Thanks for such an educational thread, while we are on the topic is there any other little secret locations or files on a computer that can be deleted or blocked?

I dont mean obviousl things like temp files or cookies either, i mean things that an average/mediocre PC user would not know?

You are very welcome. I will try to do some more threads like these.
Don't forget to star and flag! (My ego needs it for nutrition, lol)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
We have a Apple/Mac, and I was able to click on the "Finder" and type ".SOL" in the "Finder" search, and then I simply moved all of those ".SOL" files to the "Trash"; and then I emptied the trash.

Hopefully there wasn't anything that my laptop needed amongst all 1,502 of those ".SOL" files.

edit on 28-3-2011 by Tamahu because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
P2p?
You're saying there is some sort of distributed file shAring going on?
Ive not noticed this with flashplayer.
Sites normally should not be allowed access to cookies from other sites.
That's cross site scripting. And it's bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I hope you'll forgive a simple-minded, technologically handicapped imbecile, but I have no idea whatsoever where to begin. If you have the time, would you mind giving some simple, easy to follow instructions? Preferably with little helpful tidbits like if you type this incorrectly your computer will explode, or something along those lines. Again, preferably with less explody-things and more computery-fixy-things.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BunnyBeHoppy

trust me, your online - your on ATS, your being watched, we are considered smart and dangerous.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Absolutely understandable. Well, the dangerous part, anyway.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forsakenthinker
I hope you'll forgive a simple-minded, technologically handicapped imbecile, but I have no idea whatsoever where to begin. If you have the time, would you mind giving some simple, easy to follow instructions? Preferably with little helpful tidbits like if you type this incorrectly your computer will explode, or something along those lines. Again, preferably with less explody-things and more computery-fixy-things.

A good place to start is with the links. Then when you get your cookies cleared, link this thread out to whomever you can, get the word out, it will help more people.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Quick question while I'm on here. My computer screen flashes to black often, things get messed with without my touching them, and the mouse lags/moves without my clicking anything. Spy ware? Or is it just really, really old?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The headline is a little misleading because you can delete them obviously and others have responded to that effect, the issue is that they are related to flash and not the browser itself.. I already have extensions in place to take care of these things..

Still, most people don't know about them so .. S&F

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks...this took care of about 80 folders with los files for me...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

Thanks for the Advice Man , I Finally got that Gawd Dammn GOOGLE Spyware off my Comp ! .........

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Trust me googles the least of your worry's..
At least there spyware helps target on site ad's to your likes and tastes.. i would be more worried about "free" toolbars etc

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Ever since Google MADE Me Link my Youtube Account to my Google E-Mail Account , my Browsers Google Search Window would Freeze Up when I typed in a search Word . Now , it dosen't do that anymore . That alone makes me feel better .

As for Free " Toolbars " , I knew they were Trouble way back in 01' . No Thanks ! .....LOL
edit on 28-3-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
tl;dr

thanks for the tip on LSOs.
I D/L'd the gui for win7, but it came up with no hits.
My money is on Firefox deleting them for me.
Great to learn new stuff like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join