It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Lobbying attorney to US District Court Justice....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
BitTorrent Case Judge Is a Former RIAA Lobbyist and Pirate Chaser

Less than a week after her investiture ceremony, U.S. District Court Judge Beryl Howell laid down a landmark verdict that will make it easy for copyright holders to send cash demands to people they suspect of copyright infringement. Many people called the decision into doubt, and the revelation that Judge Howell previously worked as an RIAA lobbyist and as the Managing Director of a pirate-chasing outfit hints at a conflict of interest.

Isn't it magical? A lawyer who lobbied the government for the RIAA and practiced law in a consulting firm that specializes in bringing suit against alleged copyright offenders is elevated to U.S. District Court Judge.... and creates precedent favorable to her former bosses.

Howell’s resume immediately reveals that she is no stranger to copyright law. As General Counsel of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary she helped with the drafting of several prominent intellectual property protection laws, including the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Digital Theft Deterrence and Copyright Damages Deterrence Act and the No Electronic Theft Act.

The above clearly indicates that Howell is familiar with protecting the interests of copyright holders, but there is more. Until 2009 she also held the position of Executive Managing Director and General Counsel at Stroz Friedberg, a consulting firm that specializes in the management of digital crimes.

Is it any wonder the political bodies are so inclined to hear the corporate voice, and not the human one?

edit on 28-3-2011 by Maxmars because: changed title from "This is how Corporations get more rights than Humans do."

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

How long will things like this be happening before we all boil over and take justice into our own hands? I really don't even have a comment on that post, it makes perfect sense that that would be happening.

I think pretty soon we need to not look at impeaching one person, I know a lot would pick the President, but I think we need to remove every single person representing us. Impeach everyone.

Khar

edit on 28-3-2011 by Kharron because: typo, i need to start reading before I submit

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I thought the info was very beneficial. Thank youf or the heads up but I am just wondering if the title was a little misleading. S&F

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

I have thought the same as well. It was difficult to come up with some opinion to state in the opening post for the same reason... how much can you say about this? It sort of goes against everything I thought the judiciary was about.

The appearance of bias should be enough to void her participation in any case relating to copyright law. Yet obviously, that's precisely WHY she was appointed.... go figure.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by agentblue
I thought the info was very beneficial. Thank youf or the heads up but I am just wondering if the title was a little misleading. S&F

Perhaps you are right... this got my hackles up, and I may have wandered in to hyperbole.

suggestion noted... rethinking title now.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by Kharron

I have thought the same as well. It was difficult to come up with some opinion to state in the opening post for the same reason... how much can you say about this? It sort of goes against everything I thought the judiciary was about.

The appearance of bias should be enough to void her participation in any case relating to copyright law. Yet obviously, that's precisely WHY she was appointed.... go figure.

And you know the main reason any of them even feel that they can attempt to act like this? Accountability, or lack of it.

Not a single politician will be held accountable for any criminal behavior they perpetrate. No CEO will walk away without at least a few million in their pocket.

I say we start making them feel accountability.

Khar

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
but I think we need to remove every single person representing us. Impeach everyone.

AMEN !!!
preach it brother

star

new topics

top topics

join