It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Department of Labor Quietly Removes Mural Over Weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- The Maine Department of Labor quietly took down a mural depicting the state's labor history over the weekend, after Gov. Paul LePage (R) sparked controversy last week by ordering it removed and saying it was biased against businesses and employers.

“The mural has been removed and is in storage awaiting relocation to a more appropriate venue," said LePage Press Secretary Adrienne Bennett in a statement provided to The Huffington Post. "Workers and employers need to work together to create opportunity for Maine's 50,000 unemployed. We understand that not everyone agrees with this decision, but the Maine Department of Labor has to be focused on the job at hand."

"This is government censorship at its worst," said state Rep. Diane Russell (D), who has been an outspoken advocate on labor rights.

The mural will be moved to the Portland City Hall. State Rep. Ben Chipman, whose district includes the city hall, said, “While I do not agree with the governor’s decision to remove the mural, locating it to the site of the original Maine State House where it can be on public display and continue to be owned by the people of Maine will allow it to receive the recognition and appreciation it deserves."

Yet another volley in the battle of the corporate elite against the American worker.

In order to "balance" this portrayal of labor history, maybe there should be a mural of the bosses hiring Pinkertons to be agent provocateurs and create violence during non-violent strikes.

All in all, it doesn't seem bad that the mural will be placed in Portland City Hall. I'm sure it will find a lot of viewers there as well.

I don't remember, though, any Democratic governors ever removing the artwork of conservative artists. I guess the Repubs want to recreate the whole society in the image of the very, very rich. In this quest they leave no stone unturned.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Yeah, I've been reading about this also. More proof that concepts such as tolerance and compromise are not part of the GOPs playbook.

I say chalk it up as another volley across the bow of the working class. That and never forget and stay vigilant.

Thanks for bringing this up on ATS. Star and flag!

Cheers!
edit on 28-3-2011 by Hessling because: Something to add.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

This is disgraceful, the state house belong's to the people. Apparently some republicans have problems with pictures and statues. Remember John Ashcroft spending $10,000.00 of tax payers money to have drapes made to cover the bare breast of lady Justice. Gosh Freud would find these folk very interesting.

new topics

join