It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American pride banned at the Olympics!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid

Originally posted by mpeake
The real danger is to the people in the stands, or the parking lots, who have to worry about psycho idiots who want to blow things up in the name of "their god".

If there is real danger to the American fans don't you think that is enough reason not to be overly exuberant in the celebrations. Or do you not care about fans as well.

I could care less about the flag getting rubbed in another countries face, I just want the athletes to be able to take pride in themsleves and the country that they represent. If people like you are offended, then turn the channel, or shut yor eyes till your country wins and you can watch your represented athlete do their thing.

Well unfortuantely for you the USOC does care about it. The Olympics is supposed to have a certain spirit to it, and that spirit is not one of showing how much better your country is than other countries by winning more medals.

Please people, read the article before making comments.

The reason there would be danger to fans has nothing to do with American athletes celebrating. It's because fanatics will kill whoever they can to prove their point. Celebration of any athlete has nothing to do with it. Do you really think that a terrorist will have explosives set up, and the moment a US track star wins a race, then waves the flag, KABOOM? Come on, let's use a little common sense here. They don't care about how they celebrate, just that you and I and anyone else that doen't beleive what they beleive are killed in the name of their god.

Also, the Olympics essentially ARE about who's country's athletes are better than the other. Otherwise it wouldn't matter what country you came from. It would just be about the athletes themselves. They have World Games for that. Perhaps a little more knowledge of the games would be helpful before you just spout off whatever comes to your mind.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Also, the Olympics essentially ARE about who's country's athletes are better than the other. Otherwise it wouldn't matter what country you came from. It would just be about the athletes themselves. They have World Games for that. Perhaps a little more knowledge of the games would be helpful before you just spout off whatever comes to your mind.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by mpeake]

Your response is essentially laughable. Have you even heard of the Olympic Spirit? Let me quote from an Olympic site since you think that I personally know nothing of the Olympics.

�The goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better
world by educating youth through sport practised without discrimination of any kind
and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of
friendship, solidarity and fair play.�
www.olympics.org.uk...

Wow. Sounds like you could stand to learn a lot from the Olympics.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I say, ban this behaviour for ALL countries. Let's get back to making the games about the athletes, their individual accomplishments ( not their country's) and sportsmanship (not one-upmanship).

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I am wondering if the USA attending the games is a good idea. I think it maybe putting other countries at risk. I mean the US chose to go to war with other countries and must have realised how world opinion of them would change and indeed that they were putting themselves under greater risk of attack before the wars.

Should the US now put other countries safety first after they chose to put themselves at higher risk?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
I am wondering if the USA attending the games is a good idea. I think it maybe putting other countries at risk. I mean the US chose to go to war with other countries and must have realised how world opinion of them would change and indeed that they were putting themselves under greater risk of attack before the wars.

Should the US now put other countries safety first after they chose to put themselves at higher risk?

The United States of American was attacked on Sept 11th. Now they are stopping the threat before the terrorist are able to plan another attack. So far we have been luck enough not to have been attack again. I just wonder how long it will last. The US should go to the Olympics though, if they don't the terrorist win. That is what terrorist want, for us to run and hide. The US is not going to run and hide as long as Bush is in office. But if Kerry wins, the US might start hiding.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AntiPolitrix

Originally posted by Kriz_4

The United States of American was attacked on Sept 11th. Now they are stopping the threat before the terrorist are able to plan another attack. So far we have been luck enough not to have been attack again. I just wonder how long it will last. The US should go to the Olympics though, if they don't the terrorist win. That is what terrorist want, for us to run and hide. The US is not going to run and hide as long as Bush is in office. But if Kerry wins, the US might start hiding.

But you are happy enough to allow other countries to be under threat by the US presense at the games. Everything isn't just about the USA, that was my point. There are other countries in the World you know. I was asking wether the US could possibly think of the safety of others, instead about how it makes the US look.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

No it is NOT, these games only happen once every four years. These athletes work hard to get where they are and they represent the United States. When they do stand with a gold medal around their necks, that means they are the BEST in the world. The very best at what they do. How can you people not understand. Have either of you (Jakomo and Flyer) ever been competetive in anything. Well we know Canada boy hasn't but what about you Flyer. Have you ever competed in anything.

Yes I have, when I won Id be happy but I wouldnt shove it down other peoples throats.

I guess it means so much in the US because we ALWAYS win.

Thats because most of the athletes used drugs and was ignored by the USOC.

Maybe they should just call it the American Games. People in America grew up free and no one should be able to take that freedom away.

I hate to tell you but half the world is more free than the US thanks to Bush.

My great great great grandfathers died so that we could drap the American Flag around our neck and parade around the stadium after we win among other things. I am truely sorry you know nothing of patriotism, it is a great feeling to know that i stand for something. Not just cold air and living north of the United States. USA USA USA
[edit on 26-7-2004 by AntiPolitrix]

You confuse patriotism with jingoism. Patriotism is being proud of your country, jingoism is believing your country is better than everyone else. You are a perfect example why the US is hated worldwide.

If you want to run around with your little mini flags and chanting USA, USA to make yourself feel better. just make up another sport and call yourself "World Champions" it works with the NBA, MLB and NBA.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eastern_Diamondback

Originally posted by TACHYON
We should be able to fly our flag like everyone else. Take a look at my flag at iwo jima picture. If you do not show any emotion for that picture you really do take your country for granted.

The sad fact is that 3 of the 6 Marines raising the flag over Mt. Suribachi were killed shortly after the photo was taken. And within a decade one man, Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian, was so distraught about his experiences that he ended up drinking himself to death.

And never mind Jakomoff. He'll never know the feeling. He's not sure whether he's French, British, or Canadian, so he'll pretend he's "enlightened" and that such ideas are meaningless social constructs.

Pretend he's "enlightened", lol I like that one. Sheesh, even if he was proud of his country and his flag was not able to be flown, thats just putting down all your countrys accomplishments and dignity. I dont understand why he would not want to fly even his own flag. Oh and by the way Jakomoff(lol) we put a flag on the Moon, why dont you ask them why it was put on the moon? Every time I hear the words "thats one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" makes my heart weak with joy.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
You confuse patriotism with jingoism. Patriotism is being proud of your country, jingoism is believing your country is better than everyone else. You are a perfect example why the US is hated worldwide.

If you want to run around with your little mini flags and chanting USA, USA to make yourself feel better. just make up another sport and call yourself "World Champions" it works with the NBA, MLB and NBA.

Im sorry you see it that way, i guess if Canada won anything besides hockey, you might know what im talking about.

You have some good points but then you mention the drugs, you say that most American Athletes win metals because they use performance enhancing drugs and the Olympic committee didn't care. Sure, now you are just talking out of your butt. We have drug test just like everyone else and the same rules apply. The US win metals because we bust our butts to be the best. Why is it just Canada who can not bring home metals. Japanese and Russian athletes must be on drugs too because they win alot of metals.

NBA and MLB are popular sports in many different parts of the world. Yea, we have been playing longer but is it the US's fault the Olympics picked those sports up and added them to the games? Same goes with Canadian Hockey, how is Mexico going to compete, what about other countries that aren't covered in ice year around, how are they going to compete? Hockey always comes down to Canada, Russia, or the US. So..i guess we need to get rid of Hockey all together.

As for the "US endangering other countries", i don't think its a new issue. If terrorist are going to attack, they are going to attack. It doesn't matter if the US is there waving our flags or not. Terrorist want to bring terror and it doesn'y matter who they bring it to, they know it will be televised. Believe me, I wish there wasn't so much hatred towards the US but the hatred is nothing new. We have been hated for a long time, alot longer than i've been alive. So what can i do, a few more people hate Americans, theres nothing i can do about it. The games must go on.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Antipolitrix:

You might know something about patriotism if you came from a Country that is worth being proud of.

You talking about Canada is like me talking about splitting the atom. Stick to what you know, lest you make a fool out of yourself.

Oh, too late.

I LOVE it when Yanks insult Canada and all they can come up with is "Uh, so what all you're known for is hockey".

LOL

I don't get offended because it's like arguing with a toddler.

You don't even KNOW how ignorant you are, that's the funniest, saddest, most pathetic part. Still funny though.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Antipolitrix:

You might know something about patriotism if you came from a Country that is worth being proud of.

You talking about Canada is like me talking about splitting the atom. Stick to what you know, lest you make a fool out of yourself.

Oh, too late.

I LOVE it when Yanks insult Canada and all they can come up with is "Uh, so what all you're known for is hockey".

LOL

You don't even KNOW how ignorant you are, that's the funniest, saddest, most pathetic part. Still funny though.

Wooooew, Jakomo is going to split an atom...

I hope you don't do that near me but seriously, what else is "Canada" known for besides hockey? Is it beaver skins? How about pine trees? Come on..a, im "ignorant" remember..a, you might have to explain to me what Canada is known for besides hockey..a.

Not that it makes a difference but im not a Yankee. Houston Texas is a long ways from the NE section of the US.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
AntiPolitrix: So start a new thread with your questions about Canada, or pick up a book.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Stick to what you know, lest you make a fool out of yourself.

Oh, too late.

You don't even KNOW how ignorant you are, that's the funniest, saddest, most pathetic part.

How about a sharp decline in the personal insults here.

That might be a good way to continue the discussion.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thanks Zed! I was just about to jump in and say the same.

I wnat people who aren't from the US to realize that the desire to see American athletes celebrate with the flag has nothing to do with putting down other countries, or making them feel beneath us. It's about showing a deep pride in the hard work that they put in to get to that point. Celebrating your country during a win is the right of any athlete and shouldn't be stopped because of things happening outside of the Olympics. Comment have been made that it might not be fair that the US attends the Olympics at all because of the threat that they bring to the rest of the people there due to the war we are in. Beleive me, the threat of terrorism would still be there whether the US attended or not, and certainly won't go away if we celebrate less. Terrorist don't hate us or anyone else because of the way we win and celebrate, they hate us becuase we are free and stand for everything that they don't. For anyone attending the games or will be watching the games who aren't from the US that will get offended by a US athlete celebrating with the flag in a patriotic manner, well, all I can say is, oh well. That's your right to feel that way.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well I am not a nationalist.. I don't wave my American flag around.. especially the way things are today with this illegal iraq invasion....

If all the other countries who's fans come to the Olympics can wave flags.. so can American fans.

I see the American flag is now considered a symbol of terrorism....

well, is it not a symbol for terrorism?
your goverment acts like a world dictator ignoring the UN and world oppinion,
suppressing their own people as well as others, breaking more international laws than I can count at 2 in the morning not to mention hunam rights violations....
and of course, never ending talk about spreading democracy, try getting it yourselves. you got to rightwing parties to vote between, an elction system thats basicly based on who have most money wins...
face it youre just as bad as the people your fighting, diffrence is youre not poor, at least not the ones sending u in to battle.

I agree its stupid becouse the americans in the olympics are gonna have terrorist attacks directed on them iether way...
but you got to agree on that their is a lot of anti americanism aout there, in europe as well, and not without reason, you need understand that before you get all uppset that people dont like u....

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I wnat people who aren't from the US to realize that the desire to see American athletes celebrate with the flag has nothing to do with putting down other countries, or making them feel beneath us. It's about showing a deep pride in the hard work that they put in to get to that point.
. . . .
For anyone attending the games or will be watching the games who aren't from the US that will get offended by a US athlete celebrating with the flag in a patriotic manner, well, all I can say is, oh well. That's your right to feel that way.

What about an American who does view the patriotic behaviour as being more then patriotic, who see's it being to the point where the behaviour as being 'we are above the rest of you because we are America'. What if an American views the patriotic celebration as being very jingoistic and arrogant? Is their opinion as valid as the next gun-ho American, or are they as wrong as any non-American?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join