It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anybody out there? Man guilty of shining laser pen at police helicopter claims he was hunti

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Is there anybody out there? Man guilty of shining laser pen at police helicopter claims he was hunting for UFOs

menmedia.co.uk

A man said he shone a powerful laser pen at a police helicopter by accident while he was 'looking for UFOs.'

Derek Brown, 27, pleaded guilty to recklessly endangering an aircraft but told Manchester Magistrates Court that there had been sightings of UFOs in the area and he hadn't realised it was a police helicopter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The Aliens and UFOs forum here on ATS has included suggestions in the past that people try communicating with UFOs by using a laser pen. I've seen this suggestion on other UFO websites as well.

Not only is this dangerous, but (as this new story shows) it can get someone in trouble with the law.

This might go without saying to some here on ATS, but I thought it worth sharing this article here on ATS.

menmedia.co.uk
edit on 28-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
LOL, UFO hunting with a laser.. I think Steven greer was doing that as well. I have a couple powerful pointers including a 1 watt, but I would never shine in at an aircraft, let alone a UFO. It's actually illegal to use anything over 5 mW outside, just so people know. You can get hit with major fines, and even jail time..

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Freezer

And if I did shine it at an aircraft, I wouldn't be waiting around 30 minutes later when the cops showed up!

#1. How do aircraft pilots see a lazer being pointed at them from below? I fly private aircraft, and I have been in commercial cockpits, and it is very difficult to see "down."

#2. Why are these guys still hanging around when the cops show up? It wouldn't take much to avoid being arrested. Bootheal, small hole, cover lazer with dirt and leaves, and claim you were watching for hootowls. No lazer = no arrest. Or, just go home after a few minutes, why hang around the amount of time it would take for an aircraft pilot to direct a cop to your location?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I actually just read in a thread on here yesterday, someone was giving that advice in regards to the 'strange rumbling sounds.' They said to carry a laser pointer around with you, and if you hear that sound, shine it into the sky to look for an object that may be hiding behind some sort of a cloaking device.

Aside from that, I'm not entirely convinced by this guys story. There are a few details I am curious about. Such as how far away the helicopter was, and why he couldn't hear it.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I would think that even "ET" would not like a laser pointed at them.

If it's flying around slow enough to point a laser at it.

It's probably a Police Helicopter.

PS. I heard if you shine it at the wrong Aliens...You will get probed.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Freezer

And if I did shine it at an aircraft, I wouldn't be waiting around 30 minutes later when the cops showed up!

#1. How do aircraft pilots see a lazer being pointed at them from below? I fly private aircraft, and I have been in commercial cockpits, and it is very difficult to see "down."

#2. Why are these guys still hanging around when the cops show up? It wouldn't take much to avoid being arrested. Bootheal, small hole, cover lazer with dirt and leaves, and claim you were watching for hootowls. No lazer = no arrest. Or, just go home after a few minutes, why hang around the amount of time it would take for an aircraft pilot to direct a cop to your location?

Well the guy did think it might be a alien, so perhaps that is why he hung around.

In answer to your first question, a laser will be very visible to a pilot, and most likely flash blind him. We are talking about coherent light here, and being that there are commercially available 1 watt lasers floating around ( thank casio
), it would be quite easy to temp blind a pilot. I do understand what you are saying about the view in the cockpit, as for helicopters, they do have some with windows on the bottom, so you can look down. Perhaps in a commercial airliner, you could have the beam refracted by the window, and as you probably know, pilots at night depend on their nightvision, and any small light will affect that. (most laser pointers are used at night)

There was also an a previous incident where a couple of guys shined a laser at a police helicopter (very dumb), and the helicopter was equipped with thermal imaging. No way you can run from a helicopter with a thermal imager, or at least it will be very difficult..]
edit on 28-3-2011 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
What a dumbass. What If a aircraft crashed and people died? This guy was just looking for
"reptillians? And lil magical lil grey pyschic people".

The law needs to make example of this guy.
Rather he's retarded or not. I don't care.
edit on 28-3-2011 by AtruthGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Shining 1 watt lasers into cockpits does not cause temporary blindness I'm sure. I think the real reason is that high powered lasers mess with super secret laser detectors that are in place for national or global security. What better way to shun lasers from tripping sensors than to make a big deal about lasers in the air blinding poor innocent do gooding airline pilots that are responsible for a lot of do gooders lives.

Propaganda a bit I sense.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

The Aliens and UFOs forum here on ATS has included suggestions in the past that people try communicating with UFOs by using a laser pen. I've seen this suggestion on other UFO websites as well.

Not only is this dangerous, but (as this new story shows) it can get someone in trouble with the law.

This might go without saying to some here on ATS, but I thought it worth sharing this article here on ATS.

menmedia.co.uk
edit on 28-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

Taking UFO/alien claims at face value... Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? Those are the singularly last "people" you would want to make your presence known too.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtruthGuy

What a dumbass. What If a aircraft crashed and people died? This guy was just looking for
"reptillians? And lil magical lil grey pyschic people".

The law needs to make example of this guy.
Rather he's retarded or not. I don't care.

The law should never make an example of anyone period! The law should be carried out always with a reasonable mindset or all law's, social order and civil society is at risk of devolving into a tyrannical, despotic, witch-hunt macabre paranoia state. Only a person completely devoid of a conscience could demand such a thing.

This guy should get a slap on the back of the head and a mid-sized fine.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I think it is time the police got over themselves.

The guy didn't mean to do it.

OK.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
Taking UFO/alien claims at face value... Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? Those are the singularly last "people" you would want to make your presence known too.

Why is that?
What makes you think that aliens are worse than cops?
Personally, I would rather take my chances with an alien, as opposed to ticking off a couple cops.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Says who??

I'm sorry I sold this alcohol to a minor, I didn't mean to do it...
I'm sorry I fell asleep at the wheel and ran a family over, I didn't mean to do it...

It's called Culpable Negligence, and when it's putting peoples lives at risk it deserves to be punished accordingly.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

OK, I will go to jail right now for shining a light at a policeman.

What is your point?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

My point?

My point is that intentional or not he was putting innocent peoples lives at risk and that kind of behaviour needs to be kept in check, or does that not bother you?

He didn't just "shine a light" at a policeman, he shone a laser pen at a police helicopter in flight putting the policemens lives at risk and due to the fact that this was in Manchester ,one of the most densely populated areas of the UK, he put people on the grounds lives at risk as well...

Laser pointers although not proved to cause any long term damage do disorient and cause temporary blind spots, much like looking at the sun.. I think you'll agree not a good thing whilst flying a helicopter.. at night..

ignorantia legis neminem excusat

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
They said to carry a laser pointer around with you, and if you hear that sound, shine it into the sky to look for an object that may be hiding behind some sort of a cloaking device.

That is most likely the reason why it is now illegal to even import them here in Australia. Buy one from overseas on Ebay and expect a knock at your door.

Although it is obvious pointing them at aircraft pilots can be hazardous, banning them outright just seems a little over the top considering the small amount of people that actually do this.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Freezer

Very easily it seems.

This is highly dangerous and I hope these clowns get more than they deserve.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Wow! Thanks for those videos. I guess it is pretty easy to see.

I guess I wasn't thinking that a person would be able to notice a plane that far out on approach, and if they did notice it that far out, the laser wouldn't be strong enough. I guess I was wrong on both counts!

I can certainly agree that it would be distracting and dangerous if a pilot were trying to line up their approach and spot their touchdown point, and a laser was in their line of site. It would also be pretty unnerving considering all the terroristic activity. You wouldn't know if this was a Sniper or RPG or just a kid with a laser. As a pilot, you might even choose to not make the landing if the terror threat was high that particular day!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I would think that even "ET" would not like a laser pointed at them.

If it's flying around slow enough to point a laser at it.

It's probably a Police Helicopter.

PS. I heard if you shine it at the wrong Aliens...You will get probed.

Shine it at the wrong cop, you get probed as well.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join