It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Man From Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'm just wondering if anyone's seen this movie. If you look, you can find it online. I'd try to embed it, but I don't know if that'd be kosher.

I saw it a few years ago and it's an incredible movie, but I'm sure some will find it boring. It's mostly talking and it all takes place in one room. The basics are that a man is planning on leaving his job at a college and moving away, so his friends throw him a going away party. As the party progresses the man start intimating that he's around 14,000 years old. The bulk of the movie is his friends' reactions to what he's saying and asking him question.

If you're religious, I wouldn't recommend it. That's not me trying to be insulting, it's just me trying to save your around two hours.

It's not perfect. The science (aside from a man living 14,000 years) and history might not be 100% accurate and as it goes on it can get a little, "Really? He did that?" but it's still a really good, thoughtful movie. I wanted to recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it and hear the thoughts of anyone who has.

Here's the trailer, but it contains a minor spoiler and it doesn't really do it justice.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Saw this movie, the writers nephew even posted on IMDB at the time.

Brilliant movie IMO.

I agree a lot wont appreciate it, but yeah its a great movie! Very unique, different!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This seems like an alright movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

That sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing. I just don't understand why you say you wouldn't recomend it to a religious person.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

That sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing. I just don't understand why you say you wouldn't recomend it to a religious person.

It has undertones, or shall I say, allusions to what is is not what is...

Lol hard to say without spoilers...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I've watched this one twice (spread out over a few years of course). Some of those movies that take place in a single location can be very very good because it relies heavily on character(s) and storyline. You've got to love a good story if you're going to watch this one!

I myself really enjoyed it and I thought the ending was very well done. I wonder what the effect would have been if the ending would have been a cliffhanger.

This movie drew me in and kept my full attention.

By the way OP ... Love your avatar ... that was a GREAT mini-series.

SnF - I think movies like this (simple but great plot and storytelling) need more attention.

Peace,

AS
edit on 28-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: snf + structure

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

I don't want to say too much to avoid spoilers. I'm just going off of reactions I've seen on the IMDB board. Some religious folks really didn't care for it.

That said, it's not right for me to say all religious people won't enjoy it. If you are religious and want to see it, then by all means do so. It is only a movie after all.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have fallen behind on my movie watching lol. I have way too many that I have not yet seen. Due to that, I will most likely not watch this anytime real soon, but I am using this comment as a reminder for myself to check it out in the near future.

Originally posted by AeonStorm
Some of those movies that take place in a single location can be very very good because it relies heavily on character(s) and storyline. You've got to love a good story if you're going to watch this one!

Immediate thought upon reading this comment-- Reservoir Dogs.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Thanks, I loved it and I still wish they would've kept going with the series.

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Some of those movies that take place in a single location can be very very good because it relies heavily on character(s) and storyline. You've got to love a good story if you're going to watch this one!

If you guys like movies that take place in a single place then you have to check out Secret Honor. It's just Phillip Baker Hall playing Nixon, post-presidency, getting drunk and ranting into a tape recorder. One set, one actor and it's one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. I didn't get most of the people referenced, but it's so intense, engaging and funny that I got sucked in. I hate Nixon, but this movie is so effective that you almost feel sorry for him.

It's incredible and I highly recommend it.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaulGoodman

Thanks, I loved it and I still wish they would've kept going with the series.

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

If you guys like movies that take place in a single place then you have to check out Secret Honor. It's just Phillip Baker Hall playing Nixon, post-presidency, getting drunk and ranting into a tape recorder. One set, one actor and it's one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen. I didn't get most of the people referenced, but it's so intense, engaging and funny that I got sucked in. I hate Nixon, but this movie is so effective that you almost feel sorry for him.

It's incredible and I highly recommend it.

Another couple I can think of is Exam and Buried

Oh ... and if you want see a mind-f**k of a movie watch Triangle. Totally underrated.
edit on 28-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
very though provoking. I enjoyed it and think it could be a spinoff into tv miniseries. I mean if highway to heaven was a tv series. anything is worth a shot.

btw, it is available at netflix and in their watch online. you don't even have to wait for the mail.

to see how angry the people started to get towards him is very telling of how primitive even those who proclaim "enlightenment" are. i loved the flick. I think the ending was the best and when it was over I jut wanted more of it.

its one of those movies that sticks in our head for awhile.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This movie is my number one top favorite movie of all time!!!!! No, not Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings. Its this movie with no CGI, and a dialogue plot that really did it for me! Completely original and unique! I have seen it at least twenty times, maybe more I have lost track. It always makes me think. But I am hesitant to show it to others because of the religious stuff, but as you said, it is only a movie!

Thanx for Aeonstorm for introducing me to those two other movies. I will definitely check them out!

top topics

join