It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THC Prevents MDMA Neurotoxicity in Mice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

In summary, THC completely prevents MDMA-induced hyperthermia, glial activation and DA axonal loss by inducing CB1 receptor-mediated hypothermia. THC anti-inflammatory properties mediated by CB2 receptors also reduced microglia and astrocytes activation induced by MDMA. However, THC receptor-independent antioxidant properties do not seem to contribute to reduce MDMA neurotoxicity. Although it has been previously reported that other drugs reducing MDMA-induced hyperthermia also reduced MDMA neurotoxicity [9], these drugs are not used by potential MDMA users. On the contrary, 95% of MDMA users also consume cannabis [14], [21] and, consequently, THC. Some clinical studies have shown that the use of cannabis and MDMA usually results in neurocognitive deficits and neuropsychiatric symptoms, especially in long-lasting heavy users [38]–[40]. However, clinical data suggest the possibility that THC may protect against the neurotoxic effects of MDMA, since several neurological symptoms were attenuated in THC and MDMA consumers when compared to pure MDMA users [21], [41], [42]. Indeed, the use of THC to prevent MDMA-induced hyperthermia and neurotoxicity does not seem to be an adequate measure. However, this study elucidates the consequences of drug polyuse which is one of the main concerns in the study of drugs of abuse, especially MDMA.

Pretty interesting document. I have never seen information before like this so I thought I would pass it along.

Link To Article

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
MDMA has potential mental health uses, but like most potentially good substance, the government deems itself the arbiter of our bodies, minds and property. Most illegally obtained varieties are mixed with other drugs and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot glow stick, but I certainly hope TSHTF soon so this mess of a drug war can come to an end and safe access is made available.

Am I misinformed by my doctor, or does MDMA "push" your brain too hard to make serotonin, dopamine e.c.t and wears it out? I am to understand there are therapeutic levels though.
edit on 27-3-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

So this is kind of for kids ,but offers a GREAT explanation of all most common forms of drugs and their effects on people.

learn.genetics.utah.edu...

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Niice!

Thanks OP!

I did enough mdma back in the day to knock an army over.. (and make them have an orgy) lol
but always kept the ganja close by.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

My brain just exploded from trying to read the article you posted.

Do they have a pill for that?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

At this point I believe it is more theory than anything.

At this point from what I know there is no doubt that MDMA causes neurotoxicity. To what extent the damage done and as to how THC can prevent this is debatable.

I know many people that have taken MDMA for very long lengths of time with very short intervals of spacing between rolls. These people still, IMO, are "functioning" in society just as well as anyone who hasn't.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
So this is kind of for kids ,but offers a GREAT explanation of all most common forms of drugs and their effects on people.

learn.genetics.utah.edu...

Thanks for that. There's a lot of neuro-psychology or whatever you would call it, that's very informative. It says '___' binds to certain receptors of which there are two types, but sometimes excites them and sometimes inhibits them. I wonder if anyone's discovered what determines the different reactions.

Also S&F OP, interesting information. Who would have thought that combining two drugs actually kept the body healthier than doing one of them exclusively? And I'm wary of the so-called health benefits of many big pharmaceutical industry pills. You know, the commercials for drugs that list side effects that are more numerous and severe than the symptoms you're supposed to be treating.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
THC is excellent for the brain. It targets cancer cells and destroys them, helps keep normal cells healthy, and promotes neurogenesis. It's ideal to take some puffs after a stroke, so I can totally see it helping with potential damage from X.
edit on 2-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

From "what I have heard" these two go well together.

Not a surprise I suppose really when you figure THC is most likely more beneficial to the user rather than detrimental.

new topics

top topics

join