It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmonaut Crashed Into Earth 'Crying In Rage'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
S & F OP.

A lot of good people have been lost in spaceflight programs. America's casualties are public, but I believe the losses behind the old Iron Curtain of the USSR are far greater than the twenty-some we know about.

There was a reason the Soviets only announced a launch after it was successful.

Interesting note about Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space and Kamarov's close friend, who supposedly threw a drink in Brezhnev's face for not stopping the launch of that death trap of a ship in 1967.

Funny how a hero of the Soviet Union, Gagarin died in a "plane crash" the next year.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by amcdermott20

Apollo 1 was a certified disaster with the loss of Virgil Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee. A certified disaster that could have been avoided with more research into the concerns voiced to NASA over pure oxygen environments. Yet, we kept right up with that little program and eventually we got to the moon... several times. Keep in mind Apollo 13 didn't exactly run like a swiss watch either.

Very good point although my understanding is the Apollo 1 tragedy was cause for Nasa to take pause for review and redesign resulting in more cautious unmanned flights up through Apollo 8 where the program was again accelerated to realize Kennedy's ambitious goal of an American on the moon by 1970?

Originally posted by Liberterius
Ahh cosmonauts, the rats of space. I feel as much as when I clip a fingernail. No ruskie flag on the moon is there.
edit on 28-3-2011 by Liberterius because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by amcdermott20
Wow.... you're a terrible person. Without these Soviet heroes giving their lives, there might not have been an Apollo program.

My first thought was to reply along the same lines but we should remember that the nationalistic rhetoric of the cold war resulted in a lot of blind hatred bred on both sides of the iron curtain which many people of those generations harbor to this day.

There is a lot of bitterness on the part of many citizens of ex soviet republics towards anything they perceive as representative of communism, space flight included.

Perhaps Liberterius falls into one of the above?

Regardless, I believe all the great individuals in those early days of space exploration should be respected and celebrated for their bravery and heroic achievements regardless of political ideologies.

My two cents on the matter..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
(Although the photo that accompanied that article seems sketchy.....the one with the Soviet officers staring at a burnt hulk. ...).

Komarov was honored with a state funeral. Only a chipped heel bone survived the crash.
That photo of the burned hulk doesn't look like a chipped heel bone so the photo and the story are inconsistent for sure.

But that is a pretty heart wrenching story.

And depending on what version of the story you hear about the failed O-ring failure in NASA's Challenger disaster, apparently some people thought there was a grave risk of launching at such a low temperature where the O-rings wouldn't function properly, but they got overruled and the launch happened anyway.

So I don't think the taking of large risks was uniquely Russian, NASA was known to do it too, however this story almost sounds like it goes beyond risk taking into almost certain death, if this version of events is to be believed.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Attention !

A new article claims the story isn't 100 % accurate.

Read all about it here : New Account of a Russian Cosmonaut's Death Rife with Errors

In all fairness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join