It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmonaut Crashed Into Earth 'Crying In Rage'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hi ATS I just read the most amazing story from the sovjet era about two kosmonauts that had to choose between life and death.

It's worth the read.

So there's a cosmonaut up in space, circling the globe, convinced he will never make it back to Earth; he's on the phone with Alexei Kosygin — then a high official of the Soviet Union — who is crying because he, too, thinks the cosmonaut will die.

PS

This is probably the wrong forum but I couldn't find one better suited for it. My apologies.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

This is probably the wrong forum....

NO...this is precisely the correct Forum. It is history. "Hidden" history, back in its day. Covered up by the intense secrecy of the old Soviet system.

As opposed to the well publicised (good AND bad) of NASA......

(Although the photo that accompanied that article seems sketchy.....the one with the Soviet officers staring at a burnt hulk. I expect the Cosmonaut acutally died from blunt force trauma, on impact with the ground).

Komarov was selected to command Soyuz 1 (1967), with Yuri Gagarin as his backup. In the lead up to the mission, both men were working 12-14 hour days to prepare. One source reports that before boarding the spacecraft, Komarov feared for his life, but flew anyway to spare Gagarin the same fate. On orbital insertion, the solar panels of the Soyuz module failed to fully deploy, thereby preventing the craft from being fully powered and obscuring some of the navigation equipment. Komarov reported: 'Conditions are poor. The cabin parameters are normal, but the left solar panel didn't deploy. The electrical bus is at only 13 to 14 amps. The HF communications are not working. I cannot orient the spacecraft to the sun. I tried orienting the spacecraft manually using the DO-1 orientation engines, but the pressure remaining on the DO-1 has gone down to 180.'[27] Komarov tried unsuccessfully to orient the Soyuz module for 5 hours. The craft was transmitting unreliable status information and communications were lost on orbits 13-15 due to the failure of the HF transmitter which would have maintained radio contact whilst the craft was out of range of UHF receivers on the ground.

As a result of the problems with the craft, the second Soyuz module which was to have provided crew to perform an Extra-vehicular activity to Soyuz 1 was not launched and the mission was cut short.

Komarov was ordered to re-orient the craft using the ion system on orbits 15-17. The ion system failed. Komarov did not have enough time to attempt a manual re-entry until orbit 19. Manual orientation relied on using the equipped Vzor device, but in order to do this, Komarov needed to be able to see the sun. To reach the designated landing site at Orsk the retro-fire would need to take place on the night side of the earth. Komarov oriented the spacecraft manually on the dayside then used the gyro-platform as a reference so that he could orient the craft for a night side retro-fire. He successfully re-entered the earth's atmosphere on orbit 19. He was killed after the module crashed when the drogue and main braking parachute failed to deploy correctly.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 27 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: it's Klassified, Komrades!!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Hi ATS I just read the most amazing story from the sovjet era about two kosmonauts that had to choose between life and death.

It's worth the read.

So there's a cosmonaut up in space, circling the globe, convinced he will never make it back to Earth; he's on the phone with Alexei Kosygin — then a high official of the Soviet Union — who is crying because he, too, thinks the cosmonaut will die.

PS

This is probably the wrong forum but I couldn't find one better suited for it. My apologies.

Wow, we take for granted the enoumous technical problem that was "going into space".

Even today, we hardly leave the atmosphere if we do go. Everything is automated probes.

Perhaps we will never really go into space again.

So sad for so many to have risked so much for a dream that is now being killed by bean counters and public servants.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

A very sad read..
Both sides of the space race put ego above safety..
IMO, someone should have been held to account..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

You were right...

it was worth the read..

thanks for posting that..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I read this recently on a different forum and recalled first having heard this story in the 1980's and not knowing whether to believe it or not. Looks like it was more than true.

A warning to some, out of curiosity I clicked play on the soundbite of Vladimir Komarov's final words and kind of wish I hadn't.

There is a very human reason that post crash flight recorder audio is only released as a written transcript.

Regardless, thanks for posting this. As Weedwacker said, it is important that we remember all of history.

edit on 27-3-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Now that is horrifying. I had some idea of how complicated the mathematics and physics behind space travel are, but I never contemplated what could occur if something went wrong.

I've got to admire the bravery of the astronaut who had to attempt to land despite basically being "blind" and not having the information he needed to land safely. Definitely a horrifying situation.

Edit to add that the picture of the charred remains in the open casket is definitely creepy. It's crazy to think that was all that remained upon landing... or how they even differentiated it from the other parts of the crash.
edit on 27-3-2011 by xFloggingMaryx because: Another comment.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I really enjoyed the read

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i just read the article and if true its really sad. but there seems to be some questions about it. if anyone noticed there is a link there.

link

also, the article mentions Pravda and i was under the impression that it was not a very trustworthy site.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
wow such a sad story
well worth the read S&F from me this part struck me

copy and pasted from artical sorry don't know how to get it from there to here?.\

"Starman tells the story of a friendship between two cosmonauts, Vladimir Kamarov and Soviet hero Yuri Gagarin, the first human to reach outer space. The two men were close; they socialized, hunted and drank together.

In 1967, both men were assigned to the same Earth-orbiting mission, and both knew the space capsule was not safe to fly. Komarov told friends he knew he would probably die. But he wouldn't back out because he didn't want Gagarin to die. Gagarin would have been his replacement."

he did this so his beloved friend didn't die he didn't want him to lose his life so he went on a suicide mission big ups not alot of people out there will do this for a friend :'(

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Is it worth it to die for space exploration. God help the souls who will volunteer for Mars

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This reminds me of the story of those Italian brothers who were able to pick up communications from out of space, they received some very strange transmissions, a lot of them of people in distress.

It was believed it was part of the secret space-program of the Russians.. ( Although i remember asking myself what language they spoke)

I will try to find the link.

Edit: Added link

More info
edit on 28-3-2011 by EarthOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthOccupant
It was believed it was part of the secret space-program of the Russians.. ( Although i remember asking myself what language they spoke)

I think their sister spoke Russian and translated for them?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Incredible story! Wow! First, you rarely see this kind of friendship, and second, it is enraging to see how they treated Komarov...

The rumor of Gagarin throwing a drink at Brezhnev's face could be true since Gagarin died a year later, in a plane accident...

Gagarin also said he thought his friend was murdered? This would need more investigation to find out why Russians killed their own hero cosmonaut. What was ( and probably still is ) to hide?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Good thread and link but as others suggested, cannot trust the news source that quickly. Especially when I looked at the images of the cosmonaut's remains. It looked nothing like human remains. Does the body burn to this degree inside the capsule where the upper torso and lower legs disappeared? (BONES). Or was it just a staged photograph of something else?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Excellent post S&F

here's more details about the Black Space Program of the USSR

lost_in_space www.forteantimes.com...

i wonder where the lost Cosmonaut is at this point?

is there any info regarding the US's Black Space prog out there? beyond speculation that is.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is an "in your face" abuse and sabotage of people's passion for the "great work" from the powers that be!

That being said, I look at what is happening right NOW in Japan, where hundreds of workers are fighting a nuclear reaction which means certain death to them. They are doing it for the "great work" that impells an altruistic urge to preserve and advance the human condition.

These men in the OP's article are true heros and will not have died in vane.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

It's always inspiring to see the humanity behind the mask of Cold War propaganda. Much respect to these brave men who pushed the boundries of human capability.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Fantastic thread and a great, chilling story. The body of Komarov is just
, especially thinking what he had been through in his last moments

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

It's worth the read.

And people still actually think we went tot he moon in 1969 with this lack of technology? How absurd. We didn't go there, never went there and never will go there. The unknown is the biggest barrier.

PS

Wow, we take for granted the enoumous technical problem that was "going into space".

Even today, we hardly leave the atmosphere if we do go. Everything is automated probes.

Perhaps we will never really go into space again.

So sad for so many to have risked so much for a dream that is now being killed by bean counters and public servants.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join