It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did we ever go from this to that?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sorry. Just teasing, not trying to denigrate. Of course you are entitled to believe what ever you want. I wouldnt have it any other way. Honest.

I dont have to really respect your belief, however, just your right to hold it. And personally, Im totally done pretending to respect at all the people who are playing the games which divide us and are running our country into ruin.

But here is a really good little article about why we suck at democracy which is particularly fitting for this thread.

www.cracked.com...

Knowing this, the news media decades ago started covering politics like a war, or a sport (in the biz, they call it "horse race coverage") where the reporting is entirely about which side is winning -- at the expense of figuring out the actual impact the resulting election or legislation will have on you as a human being. We tune in for "Us vs. Them," so that's what they give us.

Knowing that, it's kind of hard to draw any other conclusion: Democracy is screwed up because while agreement and compromise make the world better, bitter rivalry is just more fun.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I am afraid I can see not difference between the parties. I believe this definition aptly describes our predicament.

The two opposing political parties utilize their tremendous hold over mainstream media to dramatize political distractions and engage in covert warfare and operations, in grand performances of bureaucratic rivalry meant to propagandize and divide the populace. Divisive issues are purposefully fed through the major media outlets to divert attention away from the ruling class's hidden and ulterior (and sometimes global) agendas. By drawing attention to the differences between the two embedded political systems, ideologies, races and classes, the political groups obscure political clarity and divide unity among the masses. The tactic creates confusion and frustration among the population, which enables the ruling class to increase and consolidate their wealth and power through maintaining an illusion of a two-party system of checks and balances that actually works.

Do you wonder why the status quo never changes no matter which party is in power?

Sure, some superficial changes are discussed. Rhetoric changes, but the underlying policy does not.

The military empire and corporate stranglehold over power remains.

I have come to believe all states are merely illusions used to control people. A very few have most of the resources. They intend this to remain so. Governments of every ideology are tools to ensure this.

This video gives an interesting description of the state, and how it survives even against the interest of most in it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

i am not accepting that apology since it really isn't you say you dont buy into either party but you use the same tactics looking down at someone else their viewpoints and try to seem superior.

that is todays politics in a nutshell people believe both parties are the same and they aren't one side the actions of the past 100 years speaks volumes to me from the federal reserve the the massive regulations to the hundreds of new government agencies and growing the american government to unpresidented levels in american history to the erosion of gun rights and the rights to do what you want with your own home you own land and your own body.

there is one side clearly worse than the other.

democracy does suck but america isnt a democracy it is a republic.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

How did we get here?

IMO the answer is quite complicated and convoluted, but can be boiled down to this:

In the days of IKE and JFK, we basically believed everything that they said, and that was said about them in the MSM. IKE was like a father or grandfather figure, and the Kennedy's were the "royalty" of "Camelot".

Today we basically believe nothing that they say, and nothing the MSM says about them. We have presidents that some are convinced are nothing but liars, and now even a president with beliefs contrary to those of most Americans and who some are convinced isn't even eligible to be president.

WE have become very cynical. But there's a reason for that. And that reason IMO is that modern technology - the internet - makes it easier for the rest of us to see a version of the "truth" we prefer, and then lets us join together with others who share our beliefs.

edit on 3/28/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Let me let you in on a big secret.

No one can make you feel stupid but you.

You can call me stupid all day long, but I know I am not. And so the whole idea of being called stupid is funny to me. Just like if you called me a big fat purple dinosaur, or a lot of things I know for a fact, I am not.

If you are sensitive to people having what you perceive to be a "superior air" or "looking down on you" for whatever reason, that my friend, is on you. It may be you internalized some stuff when you were a child that was not true, or it may be that you really are not on the same level as some people in some ways.

Either way, its still on you.

Dont envy what others have, make the best of what YOU have. If you arent the brightest bulb on the tree, dont compete with the class valedictorian on his/her turf, go find out what you do best and stop #ing whining. I dont moan endlessly that some people are better carpenters, or artists, or hotter looking, or stronger, or whatever. But I also dont apologize for being smart, and I dont pretend that people who cant be bothered to learn or research stuff have opinions as valid as my own.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Maybe this will give you answer
www.videonger.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join