It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoded: 'The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wow. this thread shows how bad reading comprehension really is these days.

The original article says nothing about an impact at soddom and gohmorah, but that the effect of an impact elswhere.
The clay tablet is a 700bc COPY of an earlier work by a sumerian astronomer.
The asteroid was a kilometer long, not a mile long.

Also
Any comparison between the dino killer, and this object as to the size of the effect are not valid, for two reasons IMPACT VELOCITY, and object composition.

The dino killer was travelling at a tremendous speed, closer to that of a comet than a near earth object.
The average comet has an impact velocity of 51 kilometers per second while the impact velocity of an near earth asteroid is only 17 kps.
The energy released can be estimated by the equation E=1/2*mass*velocity^2
To illustrate for a mass of 1 an object traveling 17 meters/sec will have an energy of 289j whereas an object travelling at 51 m/sec will have an energy of 2601j thats nine times the energy.
Then you have to take density of the object into effect the dino killer was likely very dense metallic rocky object.
While an impact like tunguska was caused by a carbonaceous object, made up of hydorcarbons and dust, a dirt clod basically.

So you could have an object of a lage size and lower velocity that would not be a planet killer.

What is interesting is the time scale of the theroized impact event, it falls in line with the time line for the previously mentioned possible impact that caused burckle crater and subsequent tsunami deposit chevrons on both sides of the indian ocean basin.
It also falls inline with the sumerian tales of the flood, which state they were caused by devastating useasonal summer rainfall in sumeria.

What is also interesting is that I have read a paper by another astronomer that has placed the possible burckle object into a gropu of objects that share an orbit, a asteroid swarm so to speak, whose known orbital periods, when back calculated put them into position for possible impacts in the right time frame for this discussion.
They also are appropriately positioned for the possible impactor on the north american continent 12k years ago.

And there is geolocical evidence for an impact event at kofels.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Wouldn't that writing be in cuneiform if it was legit? Seriously

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by frostymug

Please see my previous post on page 2 of this thread. You really should read through a thread before you knock the OP. The tablet is a 700BC copy of a sumerian account that occured around 5000BC.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

And there is geolocical evidence for an impact event at kofels.

C/h/oesite? Where is it at that site?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Et...hum... humm... A mile long asteroid would've destroyed a bit more than Sodom and Gamorrah.

Considering the asteroid that hit 65 million years was 10 km across which is about 6 miles. This would be 1/6th of the size of the extinction level asteroid. The entire Middle East would suffer. Maybe their measurement was wrong, because of course, who is going to be able to measure an asteroid heading for impact to the Earth. People are only going to estimate.
edit on 29-3-2011 by Mercurio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
One problem I have with this thread.The article assumed it was about Sodom and Gomorrah....they assumed the asteroid hit land. Look at the Umm al Binni crater in Iraq, look it up, it was thought to be a dry lake but is now seriously considered an impact crater from 3,000 to 5,000 years ago. Scientists also say this area would have been at least 10 meters (33 feet) underwater. The impact would have created tsunamis that would have flooded Sumeria. This, is one more clue to the truth about the NOAH'S ARK myth, I believe.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

I'm far from being a peer of yours, but here is a likely culprit, you mentioned thrust faults

Thank you for your insight. I will be the first to say, the way you are guarding this thread makes it seem like you have an agenda. You do not know me there "chief". I do not know why you had to throw this comment in there?

This tells me that you are nothing more than a stuck-up a--hole. Have a good time trolling the biblical sites. I would have taken more time to research this but it will be useless. I can tell that you will not let people put in their word or (two cents) without quickly and directly trying to discredit everyone.

You obviously have all of the answers already. Why are you here?

Yes this is my opinion. Yes this is a community. If you are not my peer, then what are you?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by woghd

Originally posted by Byrd
I think this will get dismissed pretty quickly by other scientists simply because it's Really Bad Science.

Lets not forget that there is no impact crater on the site either.

Really Bad Science can still be annoying in that it can be correct.

Not having all the data doesn't make something become non-existent, or not real.

Doesn't mean its right. Just doesn't mean its wrong. Science only proves things don't exist in a particular state at the quantum level.

I bet you can't prove that most of your 20th great-grandparents ever existed. But there you stand. Lack of data on them, doesn't make them disappear.
edit on 2011/3/30 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I remember reading in either Sci Am or Archeology, that researchers working other villiage sites in the area near sodom & gemorah have found extensive evidence of destruction by fire. They were at a loss to explain why multiple villiages would be destroyed by fire at the same time. The only thing they could come up with was invasion by outsiders, for which there was no real evidence, at that point in time.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

I'm far from being a peer of yours, but here is a likely culprit, you mentioned thrust faults

Thank you for your insight. I will be the first to say, the way you are guarding this thread makes it seem like you have an agenda. You do not know me there "chief". I do not know why you had to throw this comment in there?

This tells me that you are nothing more than a stuck-up a--hole. Have a good time trolling the biblical sites. I would have taken more time to research this but it will be useless. I can tell that you will not let people put in their word or (two cents) without quickly and directly trying to discredit everyone.

You obviously have all of the answers already. Why are you here?

Yes this is my opinion. Yes this is a community. If you are not my peer, then what are you?

> You said you posted something for peer review suggesting you're in some sort of academic circle. Alright...

> Agenda? You bet. To get people to notice obvious basic facts that are easily obtainable with a click of a mouse.

> I'm "nothing more than a stuck-up a--hole?" Let me retort, "you do not know me there "chief."

> Why would I troll the Biblical sites? Is this one by any chance. Are you and others here part a UFO cult of some form. Are UFOs and and aliens a religion? Fred Thompson during his (R) presidential primary bid spoke to a UFO/alien believer cult that Erma Deutschendorf Davis belonged to the mother of John Denver. Do you belong to anything like that?

And I don't discredit anyone. I merely have presented evidence here on this thread that supports the idea that a landslide that was most probably the result of seismic activity within a thrust fault zone was just that, and nothing more.

You simply do not like what information I've presented here. That's the issue.

PS

Quit calling people names. It's a sign of neurosis
edit on 30-3-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: Added text

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Are you and others here part a UFO cult of some form. Are UFOs and and aliens a religion? Fred Thompson during his (R) presidential primary bid spoke to a UFO/alien believer cult that Erma Deutschendorf Davis belonged to the mother of John Denver. Do you belong to anything like that?

I am a person, unlike most on ATS that believes UFO's are some sort of secret military craft. I for one do not think aliens are amongst us. I do not believe in the religous concoctions of the day. I am a believer of the truth through scientific studies. If you would have taken the time to look through some of my posts on other threads you would have noticed this. This is why I took interest in this story. I believe that if someone says they have proof and they have a theory, then they should be heard. If it is nothing then it is nothing. Just because there is no coesite found, or yet to be found, does not mean that there cannot be another theory. I have read the landslide reports. They do sound, "sound". This is what makes me interested in the science. Maybe there is a possibility here.

I ony looked at this story from the facts provided. Just because there seems to be no coasite does not mean that this crater could be different than all of the others. For you to say it is set in stone, is a hint of where you are at with science. I believe that facts compounded with new discoveries can change an old scientific belief, or add new information to an old theory. This is the idea of science that I like. To add to old finds new data that supports or discredits a theory. When someone says that they found something new, I try to hear them out. Something that you obviously do not believe in.

I apologize for the name calling. I said this because it is evident that you are dead set on the "landslide" theory. This is fine with me. I for one think that these guys study, regardless of the religous beliefs is a pretty good study with facts to back it up. You think otherwise. This is how it is.

I am not religous in any form. I do not believe that aliens are visiting. I am not a memeber of any cult or organization. I hope this clears up a few things about me. I do not like being grouped into something that I totally disagree with. I do not know what your outlook on life is. I do not care. Through your comments I have realized that you are one of the folks that get set in your ways. Only one way for you and that is it. This is not the path to the truth.

Thank you and again I apologize for the harshness of my previous replies.

Lj01
edit on 30-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

edit on 30-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: grammar

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sorry to the op. I was not trying to be a thread killer. I guess I will have to do some research to restart this thread.

It needs thread CPR..

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Incredible discovery. Makes me wonder just how many "revealing" artifacts are hidden in private collections.

'Course lots are buried in boxes and basements in the Smithsonian and elsewhere too. Remember the last scene in that Indiana Jones movie?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Sorry to the op. I was not trying to be a thread killer. I guess I will have to do some research to restart this thread.

It needs thread CPR..

Hows that research coming?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wish we could know more about our history. I'm afraid our ancient history has been watered down by TPTB

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

A mile wide asteroid would leave a massive crater.To the best of my knowledge there is no such crater in that area.To put it into perspective,the crater in Arizona was caused by a meteorite just a few yards wide.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So the story is about an asteroid around 5,000 years ago.

Well, today we have Comet Elenin heading toward us and it's orbit is about 5,000 years.

Now we have Comet Honda (1.6 km) coming in VERY close to earth (.06 AU) at the same time as Elenin. They are projected to cross paths around October 8th.

Are Honda and Elenin going to collide and send Honda hurtling to Earth?

Elenin.org

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join