It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoded: 'The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
And what looks like a creator looks more like the result of glacial activity than anything else.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by snapperski

Originally posted by SevenThunders
You atheists have a bizarre way of twisting reality to conform to your preconceptions. My take on this if true, is that it confirms the Biblical accounts and God's hand in destroying a wicked people. In fact for years, in order to deny the validity of the Bible people were saying that Sodom and Gomorrah never existed and that the destruction itself is a fairy tale.

If this happened, it confirms both the existence of the cities and their destruction and it lends huge credence to the Biblical story, which was correct all along. It's perfectly reasonable to presume that God would use the whatever tools available to him to enact judgments and/or blessings. In fact God would know in advance what Sodom's fate would be and set up the asteriods trajectory from the time of the beginning. That's the kind of God we are dealing with, and he will soon be dealing with you.

Oh please....save your religious rant for your local church,it's not selling here...
this is just another mis-interpretaion by the godfearing to fit there agenda..they even got there maths wrong.

look at that tablet..over half of what is said on it is missing,which makes it very unaccurate,if we put this up in a court of law in our day and age..it be thrown out for lack of evidence.

Ye of too much faith in the legal system, people are convicted on the bases of assumed guilt all the time. That's because cops and witnesses lie all the time, and judges get paid partly with fine revenues and placing people in diversion programs that friends and families profit from. I've been written tickets when I had not been breaking the law several times. Once I was going 5 miles below the speed limit, but was pulled over for going 10 over the speed limit. The judge sided with the cop. Another time I came to a complete stop, and was given a ticket for rolling the stop. the judge again sided with the cop. Look at the Innocents Project stats to clue you in how crappy our judicial system is through being exposed for what it is. It's a high production machine to put poor people especially minorities in jail, or even to exterminate them through capital punishment. So if this propagated evidence was presented in a court of law somewhere in the industrialized West it would not only meet the low test of truth based on the standard of having to prove innocents ( which is really what the courts in the West are based upon even though the claim is made to the contrary that they are not ) it would be legally upheld that this was not only a meteor impact, and one that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, but also that the tooth fairy herself rode the meteorite in ridding it like a flaming bronco across the sky.
edit on 28-3-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: Typos

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypersonic02

bt I don't understand why god should punish thousands of people. .
It means men, women nd children even small babies. .
And lots of animals and plants too. .do they too bears the sin to be punished?
I dnt understand why people think that its due to their sin apocalypse is happening?

Who Cares Why.. because He's God. He made the people he's free to do with them whatever he wants. I suppose it's all in His grand plan. If he wanted he could come down tomorrow and appear to everyone on earth and say, I'm sick of the way the people in California treat me. California must go - and everyone would watch as God made California sink into the ocean. That would be just o.k. with me because it's not my job to tell God what to do with His creations.

In the Old Testament. God told the Hebrew people to go onto the land of Canaan and possess it.. to take it by killing every man woman and child - it was to be the Hebrew Promised Land.. God said, I'll deliver this to you but You have to go in and take it. The Hebrew people were a bunch of sheepherders.. not a battle hardened army.. God was on their side and with His divine help, they beat all of their enemies hands down. They beat all the battle hardened armies who were shocked a bunch of shepherds were some how beating the pants off of them.

Now, you may think this cruel but who cares.. God made those people.. he certainly had the right to kill them any way he wanted to for whatever reason.

People think bad things happen due to sin because many times bad things did happen directly when they disobeyed a commandment of God. It's a well documented belief in the faith of many religions of the world not just Jews and Christians.

~~~~~~

Yeah.. the rock is wrong I'd go so far as to say it's a hoax. That, or the translation is Wayyy off. There is no way an object that big can strike the earth and not almost wipe out half the planet.

Additionally there is plenty of archaeological evidence of Sodom and Gomorrah existing And of how and why it got destroyed. You can find the answers in Science not just the Bible. Oh and guess what.. the Science and Archeology closely backs up much of the Biblical account:

www.christiananswers.net...

www.aish.com...

www.dakotavoice.com...

www.wyattmuseum.com...

So at least we know for a fact these two places did exist and they were both destroyed by fire. You can choose to believe God had a hand in it or not.

edit on 28-3-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: Addition

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2
reply to post by scojak

OMG, brother you need to open your eyes, even your insurance company would call it an act of God, just like they call a hail damage and act of God, don't you know that God can use anything he wants to accomplish what he wants, so watch out for lightening.

Insurance companies will adopt any god that they need to, in order to get out of paying a claim.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

you can't tarnish the court of laws by your own mis-givings..i agree there bum deals laid down from time to time...

but when we lay cold hard facts on the table,this littile stone tablet with over half the written tex on it is missing..leading to poor interpretation...which brings one to the assumption that it is nothing more than mere speculation,and speculation don't hold water my friend.

i have to say it don't take much to convince the religious..you all seem to be eating this stuff up.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Interesting find. However, it does look a lot like a fossilized wheel of cheese with bits of the original wrapper still intact with it. I withhold judgement on the matter until more evidence of it's properties emerges.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

It's hard to tell, but the tablet looks like the facsimile my old mentor has in her care of a Sumerian navigation tablet. If it is the same one, then the wording describes how to navigate the inner planets to arrive on earth in what was Sumer, now modern day Iraq.

But don't quote me saying it is the same tablet.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ddc4215fa292.jpg[/atsimg]

Any thoughts?

whom is interpeting the markings? not another expert like the Sumerian Text interpeter that created the nibiru tale is it?

an Asteroid would have left a telltale crater...none exists there on the Dead Sea where the 2 cities were to have been situated
My thoughts is if there was a celestial impactor it would have been a comet...much in the same manner as the 1904 Tunguska impact that exploded in the atmosphere and not upon contact with the ground surface.

but, i must first be convinced that the clay inscriptions are what it they claim...as i am fairly sure that the twin cities destruction event did not occur... it was/is still imagination that 'see' images of metropolitan skylines in the vistages of salt columns there in the dead sea area, one such pillar is called 'Lots Wife' an attraction for the tourists.

all in the same vein as sea shells on mountain tops proving a universal flood...
and fossil dinosaur bones being mistaken for human giants...
its all stories...fables...for the religious zealots & for snaring young minds in the grip of religion

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Researchers believe that the tablet's symbols give a detailed account of how a mile-long asteroid hit the region, causing thousands of deaths and devastating more than one million sq km (386,000 sq miles).

The impact, equivalent to more than 1,000 tons of TNT exploding, would have created one of the world's biggest-ever landslides.

I think this data are wrong. The real issue here is not of the size of the object, but of the energy it releases in the collision. Even a very small asteroid could destroy the earth if it traveled fast enough (though that's not very likely at all), just as a cannon ball causes much more damage when fired from a cannon than it causes if just thrown at its target by hand, because it releases much more energy in the target if it travels faster. However an asteroid 1 mile long would destroy not just two cities but an area much wider then that. Despite the speed (assuming is going to be slow) it'll deliver an energy and explosive force of 1.2 million megatons of TNT. That's the calculation for an asteroid of that size. On top of that it will create such a crater or depression in earth that would be very hard to miss. As far as I know we don't have none of the above in the area where Sodom and Gomorrah used to be.

Just my two cents.

edit on 28-3-2011 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
I found this VERY interesting...

What happened around 3100 BC? Why would the Mayans and the ancestors of the Hindus in the Indus River Valley both begin their calendars at basically the same time? Why did both societies insist that the Golden Age of man had ended, that history was now entering into a phase of degeneracy in which man was now removed from divine protection (the indus people called it the Kali Yuga)?

Convinced that some highly traumatic celestial event must have triggered these history-changing cultural responses, I got down to some serious amateur online research. I discovered that on June 29, 3123 BC, an asteroid a half-mile wide slammed into the Austrian Alps at Kofels. This impact left severe geological damage that scientists had previously been unable to explain. The mystery was solved when a Babylonian document from 700 BC, a copy of an original from around 3100 BC, was translated recently at Bristol University. The document was written in cuneiform by an ancient Sumerian astronomer. The asteroid circled the earth repeatedly, spraying fiery debris as it moved closer and closer to impact. Because it struck the earth's surface at an odd angle after skimming across the mountaintops, the object did not leave a massive crater or cause an extinction event. It did, however, break up and spray a fiery trail of death and destruction across the Mediterranean, Egypt, Sinai, and the Levant. It has been speculated that this may have inspired the stories of mass destruction recorded in the Hebrew Genesis and the Sumerian epics.

See the whole story here - there's more:

Source:
Astronomy.com
edit on 28-3-2011 by Julie Washington because: spelling

It didn't have to leave a big crater based on the angle it came in on.

Because it struck the earth's surface at an odd angle after skimming across the mountaintops, the object did not leave a massive crater or cause an extinction event. It did, however, break up and spray a fiery trail of death and destruction across the Mediterranean, Egypt, Sinai, and the Levant.

edit on 28-3-2011 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is recorded in Genesis chapters 18-19. Genesis chapter 18 records the Lord and two angels coming to speak with Abraham. The Lord informed Abraham that "the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous." Verses 22-33 record Abraham pleading with the Lord to have mercy on Sodom and Gomorrah because Abraham's nephew, Lot, and his family lived in Sodom.

Genesis chapter 19 records the two angels, disguised as human men, visiting Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot met the angels in the city square and urged them to stay at his house. The angels agreed. The Bible then informs us, "Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom — both young and old — surrounded the house. They called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.'" The angels then proceed to blind all the men of Sodom and Gomorrah and urge Lot and his family to flee from the cities to escape the wrath that God was about to deliver. Lot and his family flee the city, and then "the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah — from the LORD out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities..."

In light of the passage, the most common response to the question "What was the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah?" is that it was homosexuality. That is how the term "sodomy" came to be used to refer to anal sex between two men, whether consensual or forced. Clearly, homosexuality was part of why God destroyed the two cities. The men of Sodom and Gomorrah wanted to perform homosexual gang rape on the two angels (who were disguised as men). At the same time, it is not biblical to say that homosexuality was the exclusive reason why God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were definitely not exclusive in terms of the sins in which they indulged.

Ezekiel 16:49-50 declares, "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me..." The Hebrew word translated "detestable" refers to something that is morally disgusting and is the exact same word used in Leviticus 18:22 that refers to homosexuality as an "abomination." Similarly, Jude 7 declares, "...Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion." So, again, while homosexuality was not the only sin in which the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah indulged, it does appear to be the primary reason for the destruction of the cities.

Those who attempt to explain away the biblical condemnations of homosexuality claim that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was inhospitality. The men of Sodom and Gomorrah were certainly being inhospitable. There is probably nothing more inhospitable than homosexual gang rape. But to say God completely destroyed two cities and all their inhabitants for being inhospitable clearly misses the point. While Sodom and Gomorrah were guilty of many other horrendous sins, homosexuality was the reason God poured fiery sulfur on the cities, completely destroying them and all of their inhabitants. To this day, the area where Sodom and Gomorrah were located remains a desolate wasteland. Sodom and Gomorrah serve as a powerful example of how God feels about sin in general, and homosexuality specifically.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

One of the cable channels - Discovery maybe - had a show about this. Apparently the asteroid crashed in Switzerland and sheared off mountain tops on its decent and created a valley. According to the program, Sodom was destroyed by the "backsplash" of molten and nearly motlen ejecta. It was interesting and I'm willing to go so far as to say that the tablet (actually it was bowl-shaped like the night sky) may indeed have an asteroid sighting inscribed on it, I just don't think it had anything to do with Sodom.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
So, clarify someone. Would it have been 5,000 years ago? Is that the correct time frame? Thanks for explaining.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by snapperski
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

you can't tarnish the court of laws by your own mis-givings..i agree there bum deals laid down from time to time...

but when we lay cold hard facts on the table,this littile stone tablet with over half the written tex on it is missing..leading to poor interpretation...which brings one to the assumption that it is nothing more than mere speculation,and speculation don't hold water my friend.

i have to say it don't take much to convince the religious..you all seem to be eating this stuff up.

I agree with your last part, but I can tarnish the court of laws giving my public testimony that is in fact corrupt and never should be trusted given its dismal track record in the honesty department, especially in the U.S. It's in desperate need of reform. The courts have tarnished themselves over the years. I had nothing to do with that.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
And what looks like a creator looks more like the result of glacial activity than anything else.

Correction regarding one of my past posts quoted above:

That should be "crater" not "creator." A little Freudian slip obviously given what the debate here is over.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
reply to post by liejunkie01

Hang on.

A. There is no coesite en.wikipedia.org... at Kofels.

B. It's just a land slide. en.wikipedia.org...

C. It doesn't even resemble a meteor impact based on its shape and material displacement.

I should of clarified possible. Thank you for siting wikipedia as a link. I know what a landslide is. I was talking about the impact crater the above first poster was pertaining to. It seems plausible to me. At least research was and is still being conducted. Although I do not wish to buy the book.

For several years we have been conducting research into the possibility of a major Near Earth Object impact in the Early Bronze Age. While this was not in itself an original hypothesis, our interest was in exploring whether Köfels in Austria could have been the site for such an event which, to the best of our knowledge, was a conjecture that had not been considered before. When we started the project this premise was highly speculative and the work was done for our own intellectual stimulation rather than in any expectation of reaching any conclusive, let alone publishable, results. However the tone of the project changed when our attention was drawn to tablet K8538 (commonly called the “Planisphere”), a cuneiform text in the British Museum. There has never been a comprehensive and consistent translation of this unique tablet, but it had several aspects that led us to the conclusion that it might relate to a Near Earth Object impact and on the basis of this impression we undertook to examine it in detail.

I see they even listed the trajectory of this object. Hmmm.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e215bb5dc3a1.jpg[/atsimg]
www.writersservices.com/wbs/books/sumerian_observation_images.htm

I am open minded to the possibility of any plausible explanation. Do you have evidence that the picture of the mountain was for sure indeed a landslide? If you do can you please share it? I do not have time. I believe that science does need correcting every once in a while. I believe that theories are to be refined from an original idea. New discoveries shed new light on old data.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by scojak

Then again alot of people need to open their eyes. Do you not see, this does not contradict the Bible but further verifies a story from the Bible. Open them peeps.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pastafarian

Funny, within the last few days, I saw a bit about this on a History Channel (I think) program.

They said the asteroid exploded in the air, and then the debris rained down from the sky.

They also said that the debris would have flown upward quite a distance (think volcano eruption) and then would have impacted in the REVERSE of the direction that the asteroid was traveling. In other words, if the asteroid was originally traveling north, the debris would have fallen to the south.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snapperski

And yet atheists still accept the Big Bang Theory...which has just as much little unprovable 'facts'

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Seven thunders

You atheists have a bizarre way of twisting reality to conform to your preconceptions. My take on this if true, is that it confirms the Biblical accounts and God's hand in destroying a wicked people. In fact for years, in order to deny the validity of the Bible people were saying that Sodom and Gomorrah never existed and that the destruction itself is a fairy tale.

If this happened, it confirms both the existence of the cities and their destruction and it lends huge credence to the Biblical story, which was correct all along. It's perfectly reasonable to presume that God would use the whatever tools available to him to enact judgments and/or blessings. In fact God would know in advance what Sodom's fate would be and set up the asteriods trajectory from the time of the beginning. That's the kind of God we are dealing with, and he will soon be dealing with you.

God sets the heavens in motion and in accordance to his finely tuned watch. Great post.

Snaperski

You don't have to be religious to be convinced.

Has anyone else noticed that this is a skyscraper depicted in this tablet bowl ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cdb6cdec4e3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/651683d13bb8.jpg[/atsimg]

Is it just me or is this a WTF?

edit on 28-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join