It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoded: 'The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
When I see this I can't help but think of the Black Stone of Mecca. So there could be something to it you never know.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You atheists have a bizarre way of twisting reality to conform to your preconceptions. My take on this if true, is that it confirms the Biblical accounts and God's hand in destroying a wicked people. In fact for years, in order to deny the validity of the Bible people were saying that Sodom and Gomorrah never existed and that the destruction itself is a fairy tale.

If this happened, it confirms both the existence of the cities and their destruction and it lends huge credence to the Biblical story, which was correct all along. It's perfectly reasonable to presume that God would use the whatever tools available to him to enact judgments and/or blessings. In fact God would know in advance what Sodom's fate would be and set up the asteriods trajectory from the time of the beginning. That's the kind of God we are dealing with, and he will soon be dealing with you.
edit on 27-3-2011 by SevenThunders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Did anyone else notice anything funny about the math? Sodam was destroyed 5,000 yrs ago, as per the linked source, and then they are saying this tablet, which is an eyewitness account, is from 700 B.C?? 2011A.D.+700B.C.= 2,711 years!!! A wooping 2,289 year difference!! Did I miss something here?!!?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KewlDaddyFatty

Hey guys, this is my first post so here goes...

I did minimal digging and found this:

Cuneiform Clay Tablet Translated for First Time

It was found by Henry Layard in the remains of the library in the Royal Place at Nineveh, and was made by an Assyrian scribe around 700 BC. It is an astronomical work as it has drawings of constellations on it and the text has known constellation names. It has attracted a lot of attention but in over a hundred years nobody has come up with a convincing explanation as to what it is. With modern computer programmes that can simulate trajectories and reconstruct the night sky thousands of years ago the researchers have established what the Planisphere tablet refers to. It is a copy of the night notebook of a Sumerian astronomer as he records the events in the sky before dawn on the 29 June 3123 BC (Julian calendar). Half the tablet records planet positions and cloud cover, the same as any other night, but the other half of the tablet records an object large enough for its shape to be noted even though it is still in space. The astronomers made an accurate note of its trajectory relative to the stars, which to an error better than one degree is consistent with an impact at Köfels.

I can't post the entire article here but it goes into detail about a site in Austria that is believed to have been impacted and the evidence on why there is no apparent crater.

The findings were published in the book 'A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels' Impact Event.' and can be found here.

Hope you enjoy the food for thought and you might be surprised what a simple google search can turn up if you try.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

now that is a different way of looking at it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I found this VERY interesting...

What happened around 3100 BC? Why would the Mayans and the ancestors of the Hindus in the Indus River Valley both begin their calendars at basically the same time? Why did both societies insist that the Golden Age of man had ended, that history was now entering into a phase of degeneracy in which man was now removed from divine protection (the indus people called it the Kali Yuga)?

Convinced that some highly traumatic celestial event must have triggered these history-changing cultural responses, I got down to some serious amateur online research. I discovered that on June 29, 3123 BC, an asteroid a half-mile wide slammed into the Austrian Alps at Kofels. This impact left severe geological damage that scientists had previously been unable to explain. The mystery was solved when a Babylonian document from 700 BC, a copy of an original from around 3100 BC, was translated recently at Bristol University. The document was written in cuneiform by an ancient Sumerian astronomer. The asteroid circled the earth repeatedly, spraying fiery debris as it moved closer and closer to impact. Because it struck the earth's surface at an odd angle after skimming across the mountaintops, the object did not leave a massive crater or cause an extinction event. It did, however, break up and spray a fiery trail of death and destruction across the Mediterranean, Egypt, Sinai, and the Levant. It has been speculated that this may have inspired the stories of mass destruction recorded in the Hebrew Genesis and the Sumerian epics.

See the whole story here - there's more:

Source:
Astronomy.com
edit on 28-3-2011 by Julie Washington because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ddc4215fa292.jpg[/atsimg]

It's not an echinoderm fossil, is it?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

and what is an asteroid if not a really big stone?

It's a heavy trip,man.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
here whats thought of a 1 mile strike by a asteroid.

If a mile-wide object hit the Earth's surface at 30,000mph, it would hit with a force 10 million times that of the bomb that flattened Hiroshima. If it hit the centre of Northampton it would utterly destroy the whole town and flatten everything as far North as Newcastle and as far south as Plymouth. Most of Northern Europe would then suffer extensive damage. As with a super volcano, which I discussed recently, the real threat to the Earth would follow the impact -- it would cause huge tidal waves, wiping out most of Europe's coastlines, and would reach the United States. The subsequent dust and debris cloud would cover the Earth, inviting the possibility of another ice age -- and realistically the annihilation of most of the life on our planet.

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-05/21/what-would-happe n-if-an-asteroid-hit-northampton

and God could use a asteroid to destroy the earth.
he could choose to use any thing he see fit, after all he's God.
edit on 27-3-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: add link

bt I don't understand why god should punish thousands of people. .
It means men, women nd children even small babies. .
And lots of animals and plants too. .do they too bears the sin to be punished?
I dnt understand why people think that its due to their sin apocalypse is happening?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I just need to correct one thing here. The story doesn't have God let the one good man in the city live. Lot isn't a good man. Lot was just the best of the men there.

The difference is rather large between being a "good man" and being the best of the men in the Triple-Max prison.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by scojak

OMG, brother you need to open your eyes, even your insurance company would call it an act of God, just like they call a hail damage and act of God, don't you know that God can use anything he wants to accomplish what he wants, so watch out for lightening.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

you go boyyy, good answer

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by KewlDaddyFatty
reply to post by predator0187

Did anyone else notice anything funny about the math? Sodam was destroyed 5,000 yrs ago, as per the linked source, and then they are saying this tablet, which is an eyewitness account, is from 700 B.C?? 2011A.D.+700B.C.= 2,711 years!!! A wooping 2,289 year difference!! Did I miss something here?!!?

yes you did miss the word, copy. see here>>>Scientists claim the tablet, thought to be a 700BC copy from an even earlier civilisation

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The Sumerians had no idea of what an asteroid was and therefore couldn't describe one.
As others have pointed out, the size of the asteroid is wrong for the amount of damage.
Read to the end where it states these findings have been disputed by academics.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by redNyx
reply to post by KewlDaddyFatty

Hey guys, this is my first post so here goes...

I did minimal digging and found this:

Cuneiform Clay Tablet Translated for First Time

It was found by Henry Layard in the remains of the library in the Royal Place at Nineveh, and was made by an Assyrian scribe around 700 BC. It is an astronomical work as it has drawings of constellations on it and the text has known constellation names. It has attracted a lot of attention but in over a hundred years nobody has come up with a convincing explanation as to what it is. With modern computer programmes that can simulate trajectories and reconstruct the night sky thousands of years ago the researchers have established what the Planisphere tablet refers to. It is a copy of the night notebook of a Sumerian astronomer as he records the events in the sky before dawn on the 29 June 3123 BC (Julian calendar). Half the tablet records planet positions and cloud cover, the same as any other night, but the other half of the tablet records an object large enough for its shape to be noted even though it is still in space. The astronomers made an accurate note of its trajectory relative to the stars, which to an error better than one degree is consistent with an impact at Köfels.

I can't post the entire article here but it goes into detail about a site in Austria that is believed to have been impacted and the evidence on why there is no apparent crater.

The findings were published in the book 'A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels' Impact Event.' and can be found here.

Hope you enjoy the food for thought and you might be surprised what a simple google search can turn up if you try.

Star for your first post. Nice find. This looks like the crater.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd3affee15a9.jpg[/atsimg]
www.writersservices.com/wbs/books/sumerian_observation.htm

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

I am a non believer in religion, that believes religion took normal explainable occurances and deemed them god's will with no scientific observation as to what it was, or may be. I think that all actions have an explanation and "god did it" just does not do it for me. These types of explanations and ideas serve an agenda for a "religious faction," that just happens to be "in charge". Hmm.

Just my opinion. I choose not to be what I call brainwashed by someone else's belief. I like to look at all of the information I can and try to make a rational judgement for myself. Your rational judment has already been made for you.

Thank you and I just wanted to state my opinion on the matter.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2
reply to post by scojak

OMG, brother you need to open your eyes, even your insurance company would call it an act of God, just like they call a hail damage and act of God, don't you know that God can use anything he wants to accomplish what he wants, so watch out for lightening.

HAHAHA!!! Thanks, I haven't laughed like that since I was a little girl. Let's all listen to the insurance companies... They are honest hardworking Christians that don't care about money or wealth. What ever they say must be the lord's will. I remember reading about that lost eleventh commandment. "Thou insurance companies shalt not be held responsible for hail damage to thy neighbors property!" HAHAHA, priceless

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I just looked on Google Earth, and LIBYA looks like an old crater!!!

What?

EDIT: And not that far from Mecca...
edit on 28-3-2011 by Aresh Troxit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
You atheists have a bizarre way of twisting reality to conform to your preconceptions. My take on this if true, is that it confirms the Biblical accounts and God's hand in destroying a wicked people. In fact for years, in order to deny the validity of the Bible people were saying that Sodom and Gomorrah never existed and that the destruction itself is a fairy tale.

If this happened, it confirms both the existence of the cities and their destruction and it lends huge credence to the Biblical story, which was correct all along. It's perfectly reasonable to presume that God would use the whatever tools available to him to enact judgments and/or blessings. In fact God would know in advance what Sodom's fate would be and set up the asteriods trajectory from the time of the beginning. That's the kind of God we are dealing with, and he will soon be dealing with you.

Oh please....save your religious rant for your local church,it's not selling here...
this is just another mis-interpretaion by the godfearing to fit there agenda..they even got there maths wrong.

look at that tablet..over half of what is said on it is missing,which makes it very unaccurate,if we put this up in a court of law in our day and age..it be thrown out for lack of evidence.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Hang on.

A. There is no coesite en.wikipedia.org... at Kofels.

B. It's just a land slide. en.wikipedia.org...

C. It doesn't even resemble a meteor impact based on its shape and material displacement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join