It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoded: 'The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ddc4215fa292.jpg[/atsimg]

A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for more than a century has been identified as a witness's account of an asteroid that destroyed the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah 5,000 years ago.

Researchers believe that the tablet's symbols give a detailed account of how a mile-long asteroid hit the region, causing thousands of deaths and devastating more than one million sq km (386,000 sq miles).

The impact, equivalent to more than 1,000 tons of TNT exploding, would have created one of the world's biggest-ever landslides.

Ancient record

Scientists claim the tablet, thought to be a 700BC copy from an even earlier civilisation, describes how a mile-long asteroid hit the Earth

The Old Testament story describes how God destroyed the 'wicked sinners' of Sodom with fire and brimstone but allowed Lot, the city's one good man, to flee with his family.

Well, I love good old mysteries and I though this one was quite interesting. A clay tablet that tells a story, yeah, whatever,
a clay tablet that talks about an asteroid hitting and destroying a city? WOW.

Had to share this story and I hope others appreciate it as well. I love ancient mysteries and back in 700 BC seeing an asteroid destroy a city would be something that would be burned into your eyes forever. Although it would be now too, but at least we know what it is. Back then they would have thought the gods were mad.

Funny how things progress...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Yep great story. I doub't it was Sodom though. Sodom and Gomorrah is located at the dead sea. You can see the lost city of Sodom from King Herrods Castle. Sodom is a short walk from En Gedi a small commune of about a hundred people which exists to this day under the same name and was mentioned in the bible in psalms. It's possible that a smaller asteroid hit Sodom but definately not a massive one because it would have taken out En Gedi, and the King's Fort.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
A mile long astroid hits but with only that little (1000 tonnes of TNT) energy?

Hell no.

However the tablet is cool and if the Muslims can worship a rock in Saudi Arabia today, shows how a rock from space thousands of years ago seen / witnessed by mud hut dwelling backwards sand people could be seeing it as a 'Gods revenge' type scenario.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Well, I love good old mysteries and I though this one was quite interesting. A clay tablet that tells a story, yeah, whatever,

A clay tablet that attributes a supposed act of God as a natural and explainable occurrence? Could this be the beginning of the end of modern religion? I won't go as far as to say "I hope so" but a lot of people need to open their eyes.
edit on 3/27/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by scojak

A clay tablet that attributes a supposed act of God as a natural and explainable occurrence? Could this be the beginning of the end of modern religion? I won't go as far as to say "I hope so" but a lot of people need to open their eyes.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter! Supposed proof that it was just an asteroid that hit Sodom?! "god" really doesn't hate us queers?! WOOT!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

No it will never be the end of religion, that is just wishful thinking.
The religious zealots will be here soon to debunk this.

And to OP,
Thanks sharing, and thanks for an interesting find. I too love an ancient mystery.
Goodluck

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PinkAndBlack

Exactly my thoughts on the matter! Supposed proof that it was just an asteroid that hit Sodom?! "god" really doesn't hate us queers?! WOOT!
Perhaps the meteor was his weapon?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
here whats thought of a 1 mile strike by a asteroid.

If a mile-wide object hit the Earth's surface at 30,000mph, it would hit with a force 10 million times that of the bomb that flattened Hiroshima. If it hit the centre of Northampton it would utterly destroy the whole town and flatten everything as far North as Newcastle and as far south as Plymouth. Most of Northern Europe would then suffer extensive damage. As with a super volcano, which I discussed recently, the real threat to the Earth would follow the impact -- it would cause huge tidal waves, wiping out most of Europe's coastlines, and would reach the United States. The subsequent dust and debris cloud would cover the Earth, inviting the possibility of another ice age -- and realistically the annihilation of most of the life on our planet.

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-05/21/what-would-happe n-if-an-asteroid-hit-northampton

and God could use a asteroid to destroy the earth.
he could choose to use any thing he see fit, after all he's God.
edit on 27-3-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: add link

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Perhaps the meteor was his weapon?
Aye, I always chuckle a bit when people think God's punishment means a giant fist coming through the clouds and uppercutting the Earth.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by scojak

Well if you look at it that way, maybe yes, but as much as the bible maybe flawed, maybe there is truth to it aswell.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ddc4215fa292.jpg[/atsimg]

A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for more than a century has been identified as a witness's account of an asteroid that destroyed the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah 5,000 years ago.

Researchers believe that the tablet's symbols give a detailed account of how a mile-long asteroid hit the region, causing thousands of deaths and devastating more than one million sq km (386,000 sq miles).

The impact, equivalent to more than 1,000 tons of TNT exploding, would have created one of the world's biggest-ever landslides.

Ancient record

Scientists claim the tablet, thought to be a 700BC copy from an even earlier civilisation, describes how a mile-long asteroid hit the Earth

The Old Testament story describes how God destroyed the 'wicked sinners' of Sodom with fire and brimstone but allowed Lot, the city's one good man, to flee with his family.

Had to share this story and I hope others appreciate it as well. I love ancient mysteries and back in 700 BC seeing an asteroid destroy a city would be something that would be burned into your eyes forever. Although it would be now too, but at least we know what it is. Back then they would have thought the gods were mad.

Funny how things progress...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

I gave the scientist a flag not you...sorry.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
they got a lot of detailed infomation from a tiny rock,with half of the writing missing ..i have my doubts on this interpretation.

seems to be more of the religious doomsayer stuff again.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Just wondering..where is the impact crater? If this just happened 5000 years ago surely the crater would still be there right? Don't we have far older impact craters still around? A mile wide is a pretty big meteor and this would've affected way more than 2 cities in the middle east.

I'm leaning towards the tale still being fiction

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
What do ya think, Immortalgemini527, maybe a "godrod" that we will put up into space in the future which goes through a time portal during a launch (orbit to ground) in a futuristic ME conflict and ends up striking Sodom some 5,000 year ago?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
What do ya think, Immortalgemini527, maybe a "godrod" that we will put up into space in the future which goes through a time portal during a launch (orbit to ground) in a futuristic ME conflict and ends up striking Sodom some 5,000 year ago?

by the looks of all the planets and from the date they appeared to be born,i believe that this planet as well as the other nine planets went through some type of portal?????

im going to make a thread about it.soon

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

COOL looking forward to the thread.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
A mile long rock hit a city 5k years ago..
And theres no evidence of it now?

There would be evidence of a rock that big. It would still be there in all likeliness.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I can't wait to see this on ancient aliens tv series. A mile long space craft destroyed the cities and left a stone with markings that no human could have knowledge of how to create. They must of engraved it with a lazer to create lines so precise 2000 years ago.
edit on 27-3-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Great find, great story. Love it - and it makes sense to me.

S&F&

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

The bible talks about "stoning" people... and what is an asteroid if not a really big stone?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join