It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,500 Homing Pidgeons Get Lost in a Race in Sweden.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Out of 2,000 pidgeons that began a 93 mile race on Thursday, only 500 made it back to their lofts. There were no reports on the other 1,500 pidgeons. These birds are said to use the sun and the Earth's magnetic field to find their way, and they are reputed as never getting lost, only a few are at risk of being caught by some predator.

1,500 homing pigeons get lost during race
"The weather was perfect - no rain, no thunder and no strong winds," he said.

"I have worked with pigeons since 1960 and have never experienced anything like this," Nilsson said, adding that the birds might have been thrown off course by subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With this latest report we can see that strange things are not happening just to a few groups of birds. Perhaps the report from the NYT about the Earth's magnetic field collapsing is real and its the problem for the strange behaviour of all these birds.

Related News

Mystery Flamingo Tragedy Hits Tanzania

Missing pelicans remain a puzzle

Experts remain puzzled over beak deformities in Alaska's birds

Seabird is vanishing with the glaciers

Scores of seabirds dying off in Alaska

Related ATSNN Links

Earth's Magnetic Field

NYT: Collapse of the Earth's Magnetic Field Accelerates

NEWS: Brown Pelicans Are Washing Ashore in California Beaches in Near Dead Conditions.

What do the birds know that we don't?

27000 American pelicans abandon nesting grounds

Another Bird Mystery

of 27,000 pelicans. a serious question!

------Edited to add more links------

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Muaddib]

df1

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've seen about a dozen birds crash into the windows of my house this year. Ive been at the same location (ohio) for 14 years and havent seen as many 5 the rest of the time. The birds (sparrows, robins, grackels) also seem somewhat agitated. Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see because of all the bird stories recently.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Strangest thing I had seen was a 3 adult Robin nest. I had to scratch my head at that one. I've never seen a bird have that kind of relationship before. Seriously. It is funny but odd.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Possible solution to the lost birds. Homing pigeons navigate based on both the magnetic fields of earth and the sun. The problem may not be the earth but the sun

see here

www.spaceweather.com...

The source of all this geomagnetic activity is giant sunspot 652. Wider than the planet Jupiter, the active region has a twisted magnetic field that harbors energy for powerful X-class solar flares.

Also look here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
With the problems that have been happening with bees dissapearing and appearing again in some places such as Idaho, I think it is important to remember the same things have been happening to different species of birds since at least 2004.

All the animals which are dissapearing have two things in common, they use the sun and the Earth's magnetic field to find their way.

What this is telling us, at least what is telling me, is that there are changes in the Earth's magnetic field and the sun which are causing these problems and who knows what else will happen because of these changes.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
I've seen about a dozen birds crash into the windows of my house this year. Ive been at the same location (ohio) for 14 years and havent seen as many 5 the rest of the time. The birds (sparrows, robins, grackels) also seem somewhat agitated. Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see because of all the bird stories recently.

Aigh, we live in the same state, and nearly the same city, so perhaps you noticed this..

Robbins migrated north in Febuary remember that? Huge, fat Robbins when the temps where about 65-70 degrees, when they should have been below 30. Then it got cold, real cold, fast.. it was spring weather the next day, 10 below the next, then about two months or so of nasty cold and nasty weather.. and now there are few Robbins around. Maybe I am the only one to notice this..
Canadian geese started coming back around then to..

I cannot find the thread.. but somewhere out there in ATS is a post by me that details the hypothesis that the Magnetic Field is to blame for bees getting lost, as well as whales beaching, dolphins beaching and murdering, birds loosing track of when to migrate, where to be and how to get there.. il do an indepth post later on, maybe tomorow, I have no time now.. finishing up at work.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
At the next big solar activity around 2012, we're screwed. The magnetic field is dying... but due to what... us? Natural? Satellites? Drilling? Technology used by a certain government carrying out experiences?

When the gamma ray go throught the atmosphere, many people will die, mostly in argentina.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
At the next big solar activity around 2012, we're screwed. The magnetic field is dying... but due to what... us? Natural? Satellites? Drilling? Technology used by a certain government carrying out experiences?

It "could" be because of this.

Ancient Mass Extinctions Caused by Cosmic Radiation, Scientists Say
Scott Norris
for National Geographic News

April 20, 2007
Cosmic rays produced at the edge of our galaxy have devastated life on Earth every 62 million years, researchers say.

The finding suggests that biodiversity has been strongly influenced by the motion of the solar system through the Milky Way and of the galaxy's movement through intergalactic space.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The last mass extinction happened 65 million years ago, so we could be overdue.

The fact that Earth is not the only planet which has been changing dramatically in Climate shows that whatever is affecting Earth and the sun, is affecting the other planets also.

I am not saying that there is going to be a mass extinction tomorrow or 5 years from now, but we could be seeing the beginning of the changes which the Universe goes through and which not only affects Earth but also affects life on Earth of course.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join