It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Affordable Health Care for Every American

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The government is responsible for driving the cost of health care beyond the reach of many Americans, so it seems appropriate that the government fix it. This site has links to a number of venues where Kerry has spoken on the healthcare issue.

www.johnkerry.com
John Kerry believes that your family’s health is just as important as any politician’s in Washington. That’s why he will give every American access to the health care plan that the President and Members of Congress already have. John Kerry has the courage to take on special interests to get health care costs under control. He will stand up to big insurance and drug companies that impede progress. John Kerry’s health care plan takes care of our most vulnerable citizens by covering every child and preserving and strengthening Medicare.

George Bush has chosen to lavish tax cuts upon the wealthiest among us while working Americans struggle to afford health care for their families. John Kerry will take a different path. The American health care system has the world's best doctors and nurses, the finest hospitals and the most effective drugs. But far too many Americans can’t afford or access the system. John Kerry’s health care plan will start by expanding health care coverage to nearly 95 percent of Americans – including nearly all children. Kerry is also committed to assuring high quality health care by including a strong enforceable patients’ bill of rights and reducing medical errors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My personal feeling is that the federal government should not be involved in anything except the national defense and maintaining the infrastructure. However on deep considersation of the health care issue I have concluded that the most important part of the infrastructure is the American people. What is the point of having great roads if the people are are suffering with inadequate healthcare.

I will not be voting for Kerry, I will be voting for the libertarian candidate.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Health care is expensive. You don't get good doctors for free. If this is Kerry's proposal, I see very big tax increases ahead for everyone. I don't think that is an improvement as far as I'm concerned. There is a problem though where the poor or uninsured use the emergency rooms for routine health care.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
My personal feeling is that the federal government should not be involved in anything except the national defense and maintaining the infrastructure. However on deep considersation of the health care issue I have concluded that the most important part of the infrastructure is the American people. What is the point of having great roads if the people are are suffering with inadequate healthcare.

I agree.

I would also add healthcare and environment to the list.

I'm curious. Off topic I know but...

What are non-Canadian views on the Canadian health care system?

[edit on 7/22/2004 by Gools]

df1

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
What are non-Canadian views on the Canadian health care system?

Just know what I have read about canadian health care: Long waits for surgery, doctors leaving canada over money issues, cheap meds and number other mostly negative things. I'm not sure what is true and what is propoganda by those that oppose universal health care in the US. I suppose that if the US went to universal health care, doctors would have few places to go for more money.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
Health care is expensive. You don't get good doctors for free. If this is Kerry's proposal, I see very big tax increases ahead for everyone. I don't think that is an improvement as far as I'm concerned. There is a problem though where the poor or uninsured use the emergency rooms for routine health care.

Since the Dems and Kerry are tools of the trial lawyers, you wont see any reform in the area that is really critical. Medical malpractice. The amount of paperwork and followup on the paperwork is out of controll. Take the hospital that I work for. There are aroun 2000 nurses. The non patient care staff makes up 3 times that. Im not talking about housekeeping, enginnering etc. Im talking Risk management, utilization review etc. all of the people that check on the excessive paperwork etc. Curbing the insurance companies will do some good but not that much. Make it too unprofitable, and most will stop isssuing med insurance.

Yes, I agree, this grand vision will result in a huge tax increase....

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'd rather pay more in taxes and have affordable health care avaliable to all.

Actually, I think that health care should be 'free' as in the UK but that kind of thing needs careful planning - making healthcare affordable is a step in the right direction.

new topics

top topics

join