It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small amounts of radioactive substances found in Nevada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Small amounts of radioactive substances found in Nevada, but safe

Minuscule amounts of radioactive substances believed to have come from Japan's crippled nuclear power plant have been detected in Las Vegas but the readings pose no health risk, the Associated Press reported Saturday.

The report said extremely small amounts of iodine-131 and xenon-133, both of which are not usually found in Nevada, were detected at a monitoring station near the Atomic Testing Museum in the city following a series of radiation leaks at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

link

I wonder what levels they detected...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

didnt "they" also say there was only small amounts in japan at first? I wonder where else has been affected..........

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I saw it hit 120 cpm beginning of last week. was worried as my sis and daughter just moved to bullhead.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
AL/TN border just hit 68 and went back down do not know why. got stuff in a lot of places in the US

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I live in west central Nevada, we have a huge problem with old mining areas leaching uranium both in the air and into water tables. Has the type of radioactive particles been identified as other than uranium or iridium?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBreez
I live in west central Nevada, we have a huge problem with old mining areas leaching uranium both in the air and into water tables. Has the type of radioactive particles been identified as other than uranium or iridium?

Here's your answer:

Ted Hartwell, manager of the Desert Research Institute's Community Environment Monitoring Program, was quoted as saying he is certain the substances came from Japan but the readings were far below levels that could pose any health risks.

link

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolBreez

Is that why I get headaches from NV tap water?

reply to post by cheri2012

Have you been watching the stream too? www.ustream.tv... ity-nv-las-vegas It's been pretty calm the last few days when I've checked it. The guy only posted 1 update in the info section though, I wish he'd post an average each day but it's nice he at least has the system up.

Live video of my geiger counter. Note normal background radiation has been around 18 CPM(counts per minute.This equates to about 23 microroentgens/hr. 03-19 has picked up "hot" spots up 35 CPM at times, so i believe we are getting particles from Japan blowing over. The radiation network has their alert level set at 100 CPM.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I've lived in Nevada for 16 or 17 years. 13 of those years I lived in Vegas.

You mention radiation to someone from Vegas and they will shrug it off. Why? We had nuclear testing in NV for decades. No one cares.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

That's interesting because I knew cancer patients in both Nevada and downwind in Utah who did in fact get some kind of class action settlement and there were a lot of them. Very sad indeed because a good many of them died. I don't think their families are just shrugging it off.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Does tongue in cheek mean anything to you?

Relax.

top topics

join