It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 10 million times usual level

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think the quoted 10 million times report was the result of something being lost in translation rather than some huge conspiracy...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

A little perspective on what we are dealing with:

Published on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 in the Guardian of London

Chernobyl Raised Mutations 600%

by Paul Brown

Children of the "liquidators" - those drafted in to clear up the Chernobyl disaster - suffer seven times the mutation rate of offspring whose parents were not exposed to radiation, research published today by the Royal Society shows.

The "unexpectedly high" mutation rate, discovered by using DNA fingerprinting techniques, means that a significant proportion of the world's population doing jobs where even low-level radiation is present are exposing their unborn children to increased risk, the researchers say.

This will be of serious concern to the nuclear industry, which has repeatedly rejected claims that exposure to radiation among its workers can affect children yet to be conceived. The theory was put forward by a team at Southampton University as the reason for the leukemia cluster at Sellafield, but later rejected.

The new findings show that the radiation from the stricken Ukrainian reactor affected the sperm of fathers, leading to mutation in the DNA of the children. None of them showed physical deformities, because the DNA changes were slight, but the long-term effects are not known.

Three teams of scientists, from the Institute of Evolution and the Kupat Holim National Cancer Control Center, both in Haifa, Israel, and the Research Center for Radiation Medicine in Ukraine tested children of parents involved in the Chernobyl accident.

Families in which one child was conceived before the accident and one later were tested, along with control groups from areas with no radiation exposure. The increases in mutation rates as a result of the parents being exposed to ionizing radiation was "highly significant", the paper says.

www.commondreams.org...

www.poetv.com...

Dr. Chesser, a geneticist at the University of Georgia, and Dr. Robert Baker, from Texas Tech University, periodically venture into the most radioactive areas they can find inside the six-mile "exclusion zone" in Ukraine around the reactor that melted down in 1986. Wearing no special protective gear other than shoe covers, and sometimes respirators, they go in quest of the mouse-like rodents known as voles.

The mystery that keeps luring the two back is that voles and other rodents are thriving in the zone, an environment so contaminated that the animals themselves become radioactive. The research team considers them safe enough to handle, but Dr. Chesser said, "You wouldn't want to keep one of those voles in your pocket for any length of time."

Despite their hardy appearance, the voles sustain extraordinary amounts of genetic damage, Dr. Chesser and Dr. Baker reported last month in the journal Nature. "The mutation rate in these animals is hundreds and probably thousands of times greater than normal," Dr. Baker said.

The Chernobyl accident has, in essence, compressed several thousand years of evolution into a decade, according to Dr. David Hillis, a molecular biologist at the University of Texas who wrote an editorial accompanying the Nature paper.

www.nytimes.com... oles-live-but-mutations-surge.html

The wildlife may be thriving, but just what the hell is it now?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redneck from Hell
Most of you are so uneducated. You read some article, watch a documentary, and talk here as if you know something about it. Do what I do and tread carefully before you spread fear, about a complex subject you know nothing about.

Let me make this very clear to those of you who have adopted the ignorant cap. You cannot simply bury the plant in the state it's in. They would have if they could. Bring up pride into this is relative to the ignorance you try to mask.

Do some research, and you'll find that it will be pretty uneffective to bury the plant now. All you'll have is a trouble that is now buried.

Further more, by reading these replies it is clear that ATS is full of people without much of a life really. Only this kind of people would actually bother to type one lined responsed, the likes of " oh my god it's happening" or "oh my god this can't be good". I thought every post was to count for something. At least articulate why you think that is, and provide some explanation.

Those who have no lifes, will cheer on to see doom happen, it's obvious. Most posts in this thread have contributed NOTHING to anything.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Redneck from Hell because: (no reason given)

So what you're saying is, you know more about this issue than Michio Kaku, one of the world's most reputed physicists, and a man who holds the Henry Semat Chair and Professorship in theoretical physics and a joint appointment at City College of New York, and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, where he has lectured for more than 30 years?

It is clearly you who has not done his research. Unless you have more education than Michio Kaku?

Nice try, redneck, but I don't think so. FAIL.

"BURY IT!" Michio Kaku On Japan's Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The media has this all so screwed up. They don't even know what they are reporting half the time. Just so you know, I do think they are covering this situation up. I am not sure to what extent though. Here is a link to a thread I started today about TEPCO claiming "Radiation spike at Japan nuclear plant was an 'error'"

abovetopsecret.com

Workers at a tsunami-damaged nuclear plant were forced to evacuate after radiation levels 10 million times above the normal rate were reported in a reactor unit Sunday, but the reading was an error, officials say. Officials quickly adjusted the threat warnings on Sunday, saying the reported measurements were a mistake and that water did not test 10 million times than usual.

ctv.ca

It definitely looks like a cover up to me. I bet they regret letting the news of such a high reading being released to the media. Now they are trying to use the media to help cover it up.

ETA: Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread. I read through some of it and did not see this information.

edit on 27-3-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: eta

edit on 27-3-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by woghd

You can bet your last dollar it was 10 million.

Well I will take that bet because it was not 10 million it was 1,000 millisieverts which was up to 10 million times the normal level for reactor cooling systems. SEE: e.nikkei.com...

Please note how the number 10 million was used to frighten people. It is in the very first sentence.

1,000 millisieverts is the max allowable according to international worker safety standards.

I am beginning to agree with the Illuminati. We really do need a massive culling and a totalitarian dictatorship.

The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national autodetermination practiced in past centuries." David Rockefeller, address to a meeting of The Trilateral Commission, in June, 1991.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

Where does it say it's leaking? Here:

Leaking water at reactor 2 has been measured at 1,000 millisieverts/hour - 10 million times higher than when the plant is operating normally. "We are examining the cause of this, but no work is being done there because of the high level of radiation," said a spokesman for the plant's operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco).

You can find the text above at this link, still active:
BBC News

Anyway everhything was already contained in my post, you could have clicked on the link provided.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JRCrowley

Originally posted by Redneck from Hell
Most of you are so uneducated. You read some article, watch a documentary, and talk here as if you know something about it. Do what I do and tread carefully before you spread fear, about a complex subject you know nothing about.

Let me make this very clear to those of you who have adopted the ignorant cap. You cannot simply bury the plant in the state it's in. They would have if they could. Bring up pride into this is relative to the ignorance you try to mask.

Do some research, and you'll find that it will be pretty uneffective to bury the plant now. All you'll have is a trouble that is now buried.

Further more, by reading these replies it is clear that ATS is full of people without much of a life really. Only this kind of people would actually bother to type one lined responsed, the likes of " oh my god it's happening" or "oh my god this can't be good". I thought every post was to count for something. At least articulate why you think that is, and provide some explanation.

Those who have no lifes, will cheer on to see doom happen, it's obvious. Most posts in this thread have contributed NOTHING to anything.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Redneck from Hell because: (no reason given)

So what you're saying is, you know more about this issue than Michio Kaku, one of the world's most reputed physicists, and a man who holds the Henry Semat Chair and Professorship in theoretical physics and a joint appointment at City College of New York, and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, where he has lectured for more than 30 years?

It is clearly you who has not done his research. Unless you have more education than Michio Kaku?

Nice try, redneck, but I don't think so. FAIL.

"BURY IT!" Michio Kaku On Japan's Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

www.youtube.com...

Actually it is you who "fail" You simply referred to Michio Kaku. That doesn't prove anything. All the experts in the world would be screaming "bury" now if that were true. It's their kid's lives at stake afterall. Surely the NWO can't keep them all from talking. Kaku was also promoting his new book at the time of his media outburst, clearly he was being controlled by the Illuminati as he's been on tv revealing many sensitive pieces information including aliens. He's Illuminati you see. You are also being paid by the Illuminati to make posts just about who.... Kaku.

It is clearly you who are not educated because you brought up my education, then compared me to Michio, which serves no purpose at all to explain how I'm uneducated, and why all other experts do not follow the pattern of your Kaku.

Notice how you've said nothing, simply pointed to Kaku.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

The area around Chernobyl flourishing? I never heard anyone say something so ludicrous. What makes you say that? there are still children being born with 2 heads, same goes for animal life and plant life. The whole area is completely distorted. I've done a lot of research on that years ago. Also our media gave quit some attention to it.

What is happening is Japan is very serious. Not to be dismissed.

They have had more than one special in the last couple of years, filming the area around Chernobyl. Nature is reclaiming the area. Here is but one of many videos you can view:

There are all sorts of larger animals now, plants, trees reclaiming the streets.. it is recovering. And it certainly isn't taking thousands or millions of years. And it was much worse than this disaster probably ever has a chance of being.

I'm not saying it's a good situation. Any damage to the environment is too much. But it's not gloom and doom, the world is going to die because of it... as many in this thread would have you believe.

Here's another perspective on what's been "flourishing" out there around Chernobyl.

For those of you who have any doubt about the effects of radiation, and/or who think Ann Coulter is some kind of genius, take a few minutes from your busy lives to watch the photo essay linked below.

It's the minimum you can do if you truly want to know the truth about disasters like Chernobyl. It's not a pleasant experience watching this, but the truth is sometimes not so pretty.

In the years to come, when children in Japan (and potentially elsewhere) contract leukemia, some of you are going to get your wake-up call big-time.

Chernobyl Legacy - Paul Fusco

www.mediastorm.com...
edit on 27-3-2011 by JRCrowley because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2011 by JRCrowley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Well I will take that bet because it was not 10 million it was 1,000 millisieverts which was up to 10 million times the normal level for reactor cooling systems.

Let's specify: it's 1,000 mSv/hour, which is actually a very high level of radiations. Noone has been talking of 10 million mSv (Thank God!)

Please note how the number 10 million was used to frighten people. It is in the very first sentence.

I disagree. It was just the figure given at the first moment by an operator (who decided better to run away...I'd do the same)

1,000 millisieverts is the max allowable according to international worker safety standards.

Yes, but 1,000 millisieverts A YEAR and not in just one hour. Just saying millisievert without the time specification doesn't say much.

(figures taken from BBC Q&A

I really do not understand why there are attempts to minimize this drama. Even 1.000 mSv/year is not really something healthy....or am I mistaken???

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
hey Redneck from hell, your name suits your attitude. Whats the aggression for. At least people here are looking for answers. Dont be so demanding.
As long as you're here, you're part of those who have no life. That kind language and attitude reminds me of Youtube.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

A little perspective on what we are dealing with:

I am well aware of what we are dealing with. I am a chemist and my husband is a physicist. We have friends who have Phd's in Nuclear Physics and did experiments at White Sands on the nuclear explosions there.

As one likes to say to interviewers, Yes I can meet a deadline, if I didn't I would have still been there when the BOMB went off....

As a chemist handling possible chemical mutagens I made the conscious decision NOT to have kids.

Life is not safe and has never been safe. That is an illusion created by the Nanny State. You could get wiped out in an auto accident tomorow going to work or get shot at a convenience store hold-up.

I am just trying to hold the hysteria to a reasonable level.

OH, and I put my money where my mouth is. I can see a nuclear power plant out the window as I sit here typing

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet because honestly with all these replies, I could sit here for hours on this nice sunny day reading through them. This is Fox news' take. You'll notice how the Japanese power company says that the amount given was false and the # reduced to 100,000 times the normal amount. I call that fear suppression, but who am I yeah?

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Are People/sheeple finally waking up. They have known from day one what this is going to mean. They care more about the economy and the stock market being hit - brace yourself for more.

They will gradually let it out bit by bit - get the sheep used to the idea first. Classic.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Hysteria is counter-productive, but so is a less-than-realistic view of the enormity of what is occurring.

This disaster is magnitudes worse than Chernobyl: a lot more radioactive material, a far more difficult scenario, and a much more compressed, much more populated area effected.

One needs to be icily cold and pragmatic now, not giving in to justified fears but rather dealing with them in as timely and effective manner as possible.

For most of us it means acknowledging that this problem won't be resolved for years to come, if ever within our lifetimes.

That plant is completely beyond repair or recovery: deal with it.

It will be releasing massive amounts of radiation over the years: don't downplay it.

I don't fault the engineers for what they are trying, after all, absolutely no one, not a single human being, knows how to stop this or significantly alter the outcome. But about all they can reasonably accomplish is to buy a little time. For exactly what, I'm not sure....maybe just time to think a little, or to prepare for the unthinkable.

The rest of us must use the time they are buying at so dear a price (most of those fighting this there are probably the walking dead by now) to think through and anticipate what will be needed over the next few years. Unfortunately, the conditions are still too much in flux to determine exactly the best courses of action beyond general preparedness. So I recommend that the best prep is going to be mental: anticpate the worst-case disaster you can imagine, let the horror wash through you, and let it go. Then think through what to do in a slightly-less-than worst-case situation, working through to more manageable ones.

The important thing is to be prepared mentally for whatever happens, so that you don't get overwhelmed by circumstances beyond your direct control: it can make the difference between going into terminal shock or recovering fast enough to survive physically, economically, socially.

It is time to get very serious about preparing for a global economic downturn combined with massive numbers of refugees from Japan, and a long chain of mutations in a huge variety of organisms.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What you are seeing was perfected long ago by the Romans under the command of Julius Caesar.

It is called divide and conquer.

The people in charge have no respect for human life. That much is crystal clear.

And now we have intelligent people getting tossed about on this message board because one side thinks the other is stupid, while the other side considers those opposed as being naive and gullible.

This is an information war my friends.

Crimvelvet was correct when stating that we can die at any moment and what matters is what we do while we have time to do something.
Spending time at ATS is not wasting time, but it should also be a place where we strive to find the truth or the middle ground.

This division only helps those who wish to continue and escalate their control.

And I doubt that those who wish for control would think that an ATS message board is where control can be established.
As long as anyone reading allows themselves to be polarized by this issue, then they will simply assist in the game plan.

Divide and conquer.

If you want to flame me for saying this feel free, but then go back and read the thread.

We are caught in the middle of an information war.
edit on 3/27/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

You hit the nail on the head here. The mass media have all closed ranks and it's about time we did the same.
United we stand - Devided we fall.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12875327

Thanks, BBC! Is thread solved now?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Now they tell us they made a mistake in the reading - yea right!

What they really mean is that they had a Media Leak and they need to tighten the ranks even more.

We will get to know the worst of all this when they are ready (which means they've decided how the finances are going to be played) and not before.

Follow your own nose!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
Now they tell us they made a mistake in the reading - yea right!

What they really mean is that they had a Media Leak and they need to tighten the ranks even more.

We will get to know the worst of all this when they are ready (which means they've decided how the finances are going to be played) and not before.

Follow your own nose!

There's almost a Media Black out on this thing - Haven't you noticed - we are getting the bare minimum of info?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Has there been anything on US news about the Greenpeace team demanding the expansion of the evacuation zone? Just wondering as I can't seem to find it in any of the newspapers.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join