It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT plant operator says radioactivity in water at reactor No. 2 10 million times usual level

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hundroid

oops, sorry I didn't see the link, just the off site box dealy haha not quite awake yet

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

you are insane if you think any country with a nuclear disaster is going to tell the public the real levels and dangers coming. THEY are in the buisness of telling peolpe that everything is allright as if they are going to tell the truth and start a huge panic because thats going to calm everybody down you know lol

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
now there is a tweet saying the "10 million times higher" reading was "wrong."? hmmmmmm

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I really do not understand why there are attempts to minimize this drama. Even 1.000 mSv/year is not really something healthy....or am I mistaken???

I am interested in ACCURACY not Drama.

The news media is interested in DRAMA because it sells.

They could give a rat's behind about accuracy. The ONLY time they are accurate is when it is a Sports Score - That is from my Newspaper owning Father-in-law.
He could not even get his Son's science fair project right when he reported that his son won top honors and his son was sitting at the table with him as he wrote the article!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Well then Fukushima nuclear accident is a drama that must be reported with accuracy, that's why it's important to specify if it is mSv/year or mSv/hour, something that makes a HUGE difference

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Wow, thanks for the killer info. Finally, some information based on scholarly journals and NOT just heresay! Thanks for the post. It was hard for me to find any biology reports on the web because all the sites point towards comparing the current Fukushima situation and Chernobyl, so Im glad you could find something. Im a Biology Major at Washington state and I have access to scholarly journals, ill try and find some for chernobyl and get back to yall with the info.
Peace,
Marriah

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JRCrowley

No sh!t

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Dr.said cows, birds and people will feel the effect of Radaition around the world as it was in Chernobyl.
(40,00 death could be linked to Chernobyl....)

After the radioactive cloud from Chernobyl passed over the U.S. West Coast in the spring of 1986 his research uncovered a severe die-off of young birds.
Later, researchers Gould and Goldman duplicated his results with human mortality data from both the U..S. and Germany.
The young, the old, and those with weak immune systems were the main casualties - an estimated over forty thousand in all.
In mid-March of 2011, as the nuclear disaster in Japan deepens by the day, scientific predictions of fallout again crossing the Pacific are being made.
In this in depth interview EON producers Mary Beth Brangan and Jim Heddle ask Dr. DeSante to explain his findings and their implications for today.

Don't let Barry Sotoro aka Omamanation lie to you....Stay out of this stuff....

Link:.www.youtube.com...=244
edit on 27-3-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mesle123

Exactly! I'm tired of MSM twisting words around to make it sound like the power is working in all the reactors, they (MSM) are losing so much credibility in this recent disaster, the truth is.... Yes, the power LINES were connected to the reactors BUT there is NO POWER STILL!!!! I love how the MSM tries to make it sound like everything is getting better when anyone with half a freakin brain, and many credible physicists know that the situation is getting WORSE NOT BETTER. I'm tired of being lied to, thats why I'm glad that we have alternative sources of information such as this lovely site here ATS !!! Lets get the damn truth, its really pizzing me off (MSM, Japan/US government etc. etc. etc.)
Peace,
Marriah

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

I really do not understand why there are attempts to minimize this drama. Even 1.000 mSv/year is not really something healthy....or am I mistaken???

I am interested in ACCURACY not Drama.

The news media is interested in DRAMA because it sells.

They could give a rat's behind about accuracy. The ONLY time they are accurate is when it is a Sports Score - That is from my Newspaper owning Father-in-law.
He could not even get his Son's science fair project right when he reported that his son won top honors and his son was sitting at the table with him as he wrote the article!

edit on 27-3-2011 by marriah3330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Well then Fukushima nuclear accident is a drama that must be reported with accuracy, that's why it's important to specify if it is mSv/year or mSv/hour, something that makes a HUGE difference

Of course it matters but that information was NOT reported.

Actually if you want better information try this site:

www.iaea.org...

It is the International Atomic Energy Agency of the United Nation's Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log: Updates of 27 March 2011

I am no fan of the UN but I am more inclined to believe them,

Oh and the site reports electricity is on and so are the lights in the control room.

Here is your microsievert per hour.

2. Radiation Monitoring

Dose rates at the Fukushima site continue to trend downwards.

In 28 of the 45 prefectures for which data are available, no deposition of radionuclides was detected in the period 18 to 25 March. In seven of the other 17 prefectures, the estimated daily deposition was less than 500 becquerel per square metre for iodine-131 and less that 100 becquerel per square metre for caesium-137.

On 26 March, the highest values were observed in the prefecture of Yamagata: 7500 becquerel per square metre for iodine-131 and 1200 becquerel per square metre for caesium-137. In the other prefectures where deposition of iodine-131 was reported, the daily range was from 28 to 860 becquerel per square metre. For caesium-137, the range was from 2.5 to 86 becquerel per square metre.

In the Shinjyuku district of Tokyo, the daily deposition of iodine-131 on 27 March was 220 becquerel per square metre, while for caesium-137 it was 12 becquerel per square metre.

No significant changes were reported in the 45 prefectures in gamma dose rates compared to yesterday. In general, gamma–dose rates tend to decrease due to the decay of short-lived radionuclides such as iodine-131.

Two IAEA teams are currently monitoring in Japan. One team made gamma dose-rate measurements in the Tokyo region at 8 locations. Gamma-dose rates measured ranged from 0.08 to 0.15 microsievert per hour, which is within or slightly above the normal background. The second team made additional measurements at distances of 30 to 41 km from the Fukushima nuclear power plant. At these locations, the dose rates ranged from 0.9 to 17 microsievert per hour. At the same locations, results of beta-gamma contamination measurements ranged from 0.03 to 3.1 Megabecquerel per square metre...

Edit to add there is a lot more information on the radiation that I did not copy and paste.
edit on 27-3-2011 by crimvelvet because: Added last paragraph

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You can bet your shorts the number is 10,000,000 and not 4.

These are nuclear physicists doing this. We can assume they know basic math.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

How about a direct eyewitness then????

Daniel H says:
March 19, 2011 at 1:41 am

We had beautiful spring-like weather here in Tokyo today. I went jogging over by the imperial palace and it was packed with other runners. There were also tourists and retired couples out for a stroll. Then I went and bought some groceries in the busy Shinjuku district where there was plenty of food available despite the hoards of shoppers.

When I got home I turned the TV to CNN International and learned that most Tokyo streets are deserted due to the fear of radiation. I also learned that food supplies are dangerously low (as I unpacked the several bags of food that I had just bought). Then they announced that fuel supplies were also critically low and they showed a random gas station with a long line of cars waiting to get their gasoline rations. I peeked out the window at the gas station across the street and noticed that there were two cars waiting for their turn at the pump.

Does CNN International exist in a parallel universe?
SOURCE

My Mom saw on National TV on the six o'clock news the HUGE riot on my University campus....

Just one little problem. I was on campus from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm and THERE WAS NOT RIOT! But Kent State had just occurred and TPTB had to justify the shootings so a riot was "created"

THINK ABOUT THIS:
U.S. Congressional Record February 9, 1917: J.P. Morgan interests bought 25 of America's leading newspapers, and inserted their own editors, in order to control the media. www.mindfully.org...

JP Morgan: Our next big media player? (April 13, 2010) JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations. www.newsandtech.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Interesting, thanks for the reply post

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Well then Fukushima nuclear accident is a drama that must be reported with accuracy...

How about a comment from someone who has actual knowledge. Someone who has actually moved spent fuel rods???

Leg says:
March 19, 2011 at 3:01 am

To Roger Sowell

There are two things that were happening that create problems
1) The release of radioactive chemicals/particles are a PUBLIC concern. This occurs during the ventings and should there be something to cause the fuel rods to be destroyed in a fashion that causes particles of the fuel rods to be thrown into the air. I’m not seeing a lot of information that indicates the latter occurred at these plants.
2) When fuel rods that have been in use (e.g. spent fuel rods) lose their shielding there is nothing to stop the gamma emissions and this becomes a serious WORKER problem. It is not a public problem because if you are far enough away, you will get little or no dose.

Here’s an example. I helped install a 12,000,000 Curie Cs-137 irradiator in Thorton Colorada back in the ’80′s. I moved every single rod of cesium into a pool of water. I was twenty four feet away from the rods with 20 feet of water between me and them. I got no dose. None. I calculated, that without the water, at this distance I had 1.85 seconds to get a lethal dose of radiation. I also calculated that if the unshielded cesium was just sitting someplace, a person needed to be about 1/2 mile from them to be at the 2 mR/hr (.o2 Sv/hr) line which is relatively safe if you do not sit there for a year. Anyone at a mile was very safe.

I suspect at Fukishima that the water levels in the spent fuel pools kept dropping, thereby increasing the gamma radiation dose in the area. Until they could get more water shielding on the spent fuel, workers were in big danger. It sounds like this happened more than once with workers pulling back until the water levels (shielding) were restored.

I keep seeing folks try to make a big deal about the US Navy moving around. Well, DUH! Would you stand downwind of the smoke from a fire? Same basic question, would you stand downwind of a potential radioactive material release? It is one of the first basic rules of any kind of chemical (and radioactive materials are chemicals) emergency response – Get upwind from the source of the problem. The Navy is not stupid. However, those who are making this an issue have zero common sense.
SOURCE

By the way I am not saying this is not a serious situation that needs to be watched, I AM saying there are those who are going to exploit it for all its worth. Greenpeace is the first to come to mind. I wonder how much in donations those dudes are going to gain from this windfall.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

More comment from the same dude. And I agree with him we need to send a heartfelt word of thanks and our prayers to the Nuclear workers taking care of this mess.

And yes I am reading both sites alternately

I know there are a couple nuclear physicists and other at that site and I wanted to see what they had to say - an informed opinion.

Leg says:
March 19, 2011 at 3:49 am

I hope you all say a prayer and offer a thanks to those workers who are battling the problems at the plants. They have to work in full gear: anti-C clothing and respirators or self-contained breating apparatus. They have been working in confined spaces that are hot and without lights. You have no idea how brutal this can be. I’ve only been in a few situations where I had to dress out and do moderate work and it wasn’t dark, confined and hot (well, one time it was hot). Two hours was my limit. I have so much respect for these men who are working so hard to keep you and I safe.
SOURCE

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
CBC news has a headline dealing with the OP. The headline reads as follows, "Japan nuclear radiation reading not credible". Here is a link to the rest of the article. www.cbc.ca...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Redneck from Hell

"Surely the NWO can't keep them all from talking".

If you cut off all media to Japan,how will we know what's really going on?If someone does talk,people will just say they are exaggerating..even if they are professionals!

They can stop a lot of people from talking.Enough to make the people who DO talk seem few.And because they didn't hear it on the news and that there's only a few people talking about it then it must not be true.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

This site from some one in Japan was suggested: www.kalzumeus.com...

Every incident that every plant has had is out there for you to read. Just go to www.nrc.gov... and look under the event report link. US nuclear plants are being required to review and verify the operability and feasibility of their disaster plans, making sure all equipment will work as is claimed.

This comment may have the key to the answer of the high radiation and the reneging.

Doug Badgero says:
March 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

Roger and others,

I also have an engineering degree (Mechanical), I also have 25+ years in nuclear operations and training. I was a licensed operator for 8 years and senior operator for another 8.

Some have downplayed the significance of this event but FAR more have overplayed the significance. Yes there are areas on the site that have lethal doses of radiation if you spend enough time standing in that location. For instance if you stood in the 40R/hr field for ten hours you would incur a dose approximately equal to the LD50 dose. There are areas of any plant that have lethal doses of radiation if you are dumb enough to stand there long enough, these areas are locked at commercial plants. Dose rates off site have NEVER been immediately dangerous to life and health.

This is a serious nuclear accident and I concur with the INES scale rating of 5 based on what we know. However, it isn’t the nuclear or public health catastrophe you , and others, are making it out to be. If, as it seems, the contamination off site is primarily I-131 then it will be gone in about 1 month because radio iodine has a half-life of 8 days. As others have pointed out, the rest of Japan’s infrastructure is responsible for far more deaths than these nuke plants during this event.
SOURCE

Max Hugoson says:
March 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

....Talked with my industry contacts this week.

Re-affirmed that all the plants in my state had additional Diesel generators put in during the ’90′s. They are in earthquake, bomb, flood, tornado, hurricane proof buildings. They are ELEVATED (about 40′ above the ground).

They contain 2 weeks worth of fuel. Part of a program known as “station black out” from the NRC.

Japan CAN be faulted for NOT having this level of defense in depth.

Max
SOURCE

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Let's split the difference between 4 and 10 million, because of BS on both sides.

Either way this kind of info is disturbing.

Even if it is 1 million times, things are not good at all.

I was thinking the same exact thing? More or less our air and water is still poison

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join