It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we allow Taiwan to Purchase SSN's

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Oh heck no. Selling WMDs to Taiwan. Bad idea. I'll aprove of just about anything else but not WMDs. We know that China will invade Taiwan, and unless the US commits a lot of force the invasion will be over quickly. Its most likely inevitible so why turn it into a nuclear war. And if we do that then that gives China the right to sell WMDs to our enemies.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xbin
Also you can read
"Pentagon suggests Taiwan should bomb China's Three Gorges Dam"
www.poe-news.com...

Im sure the Taiwanese had already figured that one out all on thier own. No doubt there are plenty of targets that the Taiwanese could hit in the event of Chinese agression.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Oh heck no. Selling WMDs to Taiwan. Bad idea. I'll aprove of just about anything else but not WMDs. We know that China will invade Taiwan, and unless the US commits a lot of force the invasion will be over quickly. Its most likely inevitible so why turn it into a nuclear war. And if we do that then that gives China the right to sell WMDs to our enemies.

CD I said in my post that if Taiwan wants to buy offensive weapons they can buy them except nuclear ICBM's im saying that Taiwan may want some non nuclear missiles to defend itself and they should have a right to by them but again i say Taiwan should not be able to by Nuclear missile or ICBM's.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm not sure I want to give Taiwan serious offensive firepower. Defensive is all they need. What will they gain by shooting missles at cities when the battles on their own turf.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Im sure the Taiwanese had already figured that one out all on thier own. No doubt there are plenty of targets that the Taiwanese could hit in the event of Chinese agression.

Taiwan does not have this ability unless it gets help from US.

CD I said in my post that if Taiwan wants to by offensive weapons they can by them except nuclear ICBM's im saying that Taiwan may want some non nuclear missiles to defend itself and they should have a right to by them but again i say Taiwan should not be able to by Nuclear missile or ICBM's.

WestPoint, you should really study the international treaty on non-proliferation of missile technology. The treaty is clear that no country can sell missile tech which has range longer than 180 kilometers.

If US did itself, how can you convince other people not do it ?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well CD Taiwan might want some to inflict casualties on Chinese people to cause the Chinese to maybe stop their attack or it might have the other effect instead of stopping the Chinese it might make them more angry you never know till you try

Also if the US sells some missiles to Taiwan it�s ok but to answer your question of how can we convince others not to do the same we simply tell them if you sell missiles we will impose sanctions on you

[edit on 28-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Also if the US ells some missiles to Taiwan it�s ok by to answer your question of how can we convince others not to do the same we simply tell them if you sell missiles we will impose sanctions on you

You seems like another George W Bush, that international treaty is used to bind others, not yourself. If US think so, then go ahead, we have nothing can say.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
the US cant put sanctions on anyone
thats the UN's job
and they will take forever.
also i wonder what would happen if the US got put under sanctions?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
US can put sanction according to its internal law. But it may not always work well, the typical case is Cuba or North Korea, sanction put both country into difficulties but did not make them bow to US. US also has put
sanction on some Chinese companies, and everytime it is China finally bow-ed to US.

But in case political consideration greater than economic consideration, then the sanction will not work.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
the US cant put sanctions on anyone
thats the UN's job
and they will take forever.
also i wonder what would happen if the US got put under sanctions?

Intersting point. I do wonder what would happen if say the UN (we can veto) tried to put sanctions on the US or maybe some other governing body.

It would make life tough, that is no doubt, probably if it wass global, it would be a huge depression similar in the lines to the great depression in scope and magnatude. However, the US does have the ability to reindustrialize if needed. Not easy and quite painfull but it could be done. Not to mention the #1 trump card. The massive amount of food produced. But IMHO, sanctions (at least by the UN) do not work. Esp with large countries. The have to much built in infrastructure to really put down.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The US can impose sanctions on another country we are thinking of doing it to Iran. Also the US navy can blockade countries who don't comply with us we are also thinking of doing this with Iran. Umm...yes that will be the day when the UN tries to put sanctions on the US it wont happen but it worth a thought.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Umm...yes that will be the day when the UN tries to put sanctions on the US it wont happen but it worth a thought.

I just don't see it as doable. Even Russia. It would be hard to sanction any major country. Most have a diversified workforce and some resources. They can evetually build up any necessary infrastructure they need. It woun be pretty mind you but it is doable.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I think if Taiwan wants to by offensive weapons who are we to stop them they want to also be able to defend their country and fight back its not like the US is going to sell Taiwan ICBM's or nuclear missiles Taiwan may just want a couple of missiles capable of hitting china as a deterrence I see no problem with that you have to even out the plying field.

I just can not understand your Mind Set Westpoint, your like a 5 year old "My Daddy can kick your daddy's Ass", thats all that comes from you.

What gives your country the right to think what is suitable for the rest of the world, not every one see's every thing the same way, some people may view green as a different shade of the said colour. Nothing gives your country the right to make demands and threats to the rest of the planet, I may agree that Iran with Nukes is a bad idea, but so far the US was the first and only country to use them? What does that say for you lot.

Plus as for Missile Tech, your attutide is just unbelievable, your country can create and sign to treaties, but when they affect you, you either drop out or just say "That doesn't apply to us".

::shrugs:: what would you did if China started rearming NK with the latest Russian Tech?

Its nice to have double standards.

- Phil

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
First I would like to start off by saying the world is not a fair place and if you think it is I feel sorry for you. Next as long as china don't give N. Korea nukes I don't have a problem with it. If Taiwan wants to by missiles who are we to stop them. Plus Phil if you don't like what I have to say ignore me or don't reply to what I have to say its that simple.

West Point, Out

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

First I would like to start off by saying the world is not a fair place and if you think it is I feel sorry for you. Next as long as china don't give N. Korea nukes I don't have a problem with it. If Taiwan wants to by missiles who are we to stop them. Plus Phil if you don't like what I have to say ignore me or don't reply to what I have to say its that simple.

West Point, Out

no its not fair but WHY should the USA make it fair?
why is giveing NK nukes a problem?its only gona be used as a defensive weapon?he same argument u put towards taiwan getting missiles can be used against u in givein NK nukes.
yeah but who are you to supply them with missiles?

devilwasp over.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Westpoint,

The point is that you are showing a clear Double Standard:

The USA can suppy defensive [There is no such thing as a defensive weapon, as all can be abused and turned to the offensive] weapons to any nation it chooses, because it can.

While China, Russia and any other nation that supplies weapons to a "Hostile" [Any country that the US have a Beef With] Nation, and the US will demand it stop there and then.

That is a Double Standard. Why should you [USA] have that right or ability rather than any one else.

- Phil

PS. As it stands, I am one of the those people that pray that Mankind has evolved beyond the fixed mindset, any of those that do have that fixed mind set, I like thing think that I can Educate them, no matter how hard or long that takes, some people just need a boot up the ass to see the big picture, a favourite quote from a colleague of mine.

I have worked in the US with my work and there are people like you, but most have the common sense to accept that they aren't the rulers of the planet and those are the people that your Government needs the most, thank god there are some in there that know some thing.

Ah, one thing I would like to cover, is that I don't read from a ChiCom PR Manual, althrough I have read a number of them through my studies, including Russian, a number of Middle Eastern Ones and a few others that have had interest to me or required for my studies. I also Study UK manuals but, hey, I am Chinese so it appears ::laughs:: Reply with common sense and a open mind, it will better for every one.

Your right, Opinions are like A** holes, every one has one.

[edit on 29-7-2004 by gooseuk]

[edit on 29-7-2004 by gooseuk]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The way westpoint is acting, he might just has two... lol

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

why is giveing NK nukes a problem?its only gona be used as a defensive weapon?he same argument u put towards taiwan getting missiles can be used against u in givein NK nukes.

Devil I said giving Taiwan missiles I didn't say nuclear missiles so N. Korea should get missiles not nukes.

and hawks your funny you know that but unless you have something to add I suggest you... yourself in yours.

West Point, Out

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Devil I said giving Taiwan missiles I didn't say nuclear missiles so N. Korea should get missiles not nukes.

and hawks your funny you know that but unless you have something to add I suggest you... yourself in yours.

West Point, Out

so its ok to sell them the missiles? so we can sell them ICBM's and they could get the nukes and thats ok?
also how are the chinese supposed to know those missiles are not really nukes?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Devi what are you talking about missile there are other missiles than ICBM's or nuclear missiles. And the Chinese are that incompetent that they don't know their missiles?

West Point, Out

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join