It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're Eating What!!??? Part 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hello all,

I've been doing some research about some of our most common foods lately, and some of what i found is shocking and i'm going to be posting a few threads on what i've found.

I'll start out with an article showing a step by step "hydrogenation" process of making margarine, which until reading this, i've always believed was healthier than butter.

Margarine makers start with cheap. poor quality vegetable oils, such as corn, cottonseed, soybeans, safflower seeds and canola.

These oils have already turned rancid from being extracted from oil seeds using high temperature and high pressure. Rancid oils are loaded with free radicals that react easily with other molecules, causing cell damage, premature aging and a host of other problems.

What comes out of the partial hydrogenation process is a smelly, lumpy, grey grease.
To remove the lumps, emulsifiers – which are like soaps – are mixed in

This may not be news to some of you, but for those who haven't heard this before please follow the link and read the whole article.

How margarine is made

edit on 26-3-2011 by amadeus30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by amadeus30

I dunno, squeezing liquids and enzymes as well as blood by products out of a large smelly animal and then thrashing it until it separates into a bland chalky liquid and a a fatty yellow glutinous block, still sounds rank to me...

but I do like it on toast!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
more more...don't stop there.

it's funny..my whole life growing up, mom made us eat margarine 'cause it was supposed to be so much better

she recently realized that butter is way better for you than margarine (lol guess dad was right)

of course, olive oil is really not bad at all...so use EVOO when in doubt. Coconut oil is also very healthy and eggs taste quite good fried up in that... a taste of the islands man

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Man, I am glad I know how to make my own butter.

Far better tasting, and it was dang good enough for my ancestors lol. Most of them far outlived most these days.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

i've been told the same thing about margarine being better than butter all my life, i was kinda sick reading that article.. and yes olive oil is a lot better for you than vegetable, corn, or any "partially hydrogenated" oil..

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yes it's an amazing world we live in. Better living through chemistry! We have created food processing that can harm us and are creating chemicals and drugs to keep us living longer after we get sick from the foods and drinks. What a paradox of human evolution?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Just wait till you find out what makes Skittles shiny... You will never eat candy again

Personally, I enjoy my Soylent Green

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by spikester

ha..better living through chemistry was my motto in college....(actually it was personal organic chemistry)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I'm Hip... Hey is that Steve Hillage on your signature?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spikester

That's me on lead guitar and my cousin shane singing, and his buddy on drums!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I read about this before it was such a turn-off that I started using organic butter. Recently, I switched to coconut oil as an even healthier choice and have been pleasantly surprised. I thought foods cooked in coconut oil would have a decidedly coconut-like taste, but it is actually so subtle as to be hardly noticeable. I wish it wasn't so pricey, but that won't stop me from continuing to use it.

new topics

top topics

join