It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am tired of all the experts on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Section69

Tis the goal of most to feel good

lets do it with dignity

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

The article says one in ten survived..
You say 90% should have been wiped out..

If my rusty math is correct it's the same thing..
So what's your issue?

The issue is what is being counted. I thought the 90% level concerned genera, not species.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

The Mayans were good at what they did, but they attached no prophecies to the end of the long count calendar. Only modern authors have done that.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

This remarkable cycle is due to a synchronicity between the speed of the earth's rotation around the sun, and the speed of rotation of our galaxy.

That's incorrect. Check below for an explanation of the Earth wobble that causes this.
Precession of the Equinoxes

The following numbers can therefore be regarded as precessionary:
(12 ... 30 ... 72 ... 360 ... 2,160 ... 4,320 and 25,920)

That's just numerology and is not tied into anything other than 'toying' with numbers. Since the explanation for precession was wrong I suppose this list of numbers is also just as incorrect.

The last time was a big flood, the Deluge. Every culture has stories of the flood. Modern science pretends that it didn't happen just because they don't want to admit to something in the Bible being true, but the evidence is overwhelming (look it up.)

There is no evidence at all for a worldwide flood. Nada. This has been one of the great disappointments for Christian fundamentalists. But there is no evidence for a worldwide flood. That has been recognized since at least the time of DaVinci who openly wrote about the fact that the claim that fossils in mountains supported the Deluge claim were false.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thank you for your post it seems you can rest easy that my OP was not aimed at you.

Now where are the 'others'

Oh I know it wasnt

I do understand what you are saying though...there are some who tend to think they know a lot but there are some members here who really do know what they are talking about and those are the ones I go to for certain things when I need more information or things clarified.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I thought wikipedia was like the last place you go to get reliable information or facts?

reply to post by guessing

Im no expert bud, thats how easy it is to get misled, so who ever was writing the book I got that information from obviously hasn't done his research either.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I thought wikipedia was like the last place you go to get reliable information or facts? /quote]
Take a look to see what is being used as a reference. It's a starting place. If the material stands up then use it. Just because it is in the wikipedia does not mean it is good or bad. It is often good material. Then again I've been burned by it. For example, I was led to believe that ectoplasm was coined by mediums. Not so. It was adopted by mediums as were a number of other scientific terms to try and give some legitimacy to their far fetched claims.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The world hasn't ended...its still here..see, look outside. voila.

Now, big and bad things happen as the long term norm, sure. The thing most "experts" debunk here are nonsense claims...Obama got elected, therefore the world is going to end. People are becoming less religious, therefore the end is nigh, etc.
Also, perspective...sure, there will be catastrophic events in the history of mankind, but not every earthquake or thunderstorm is going to be the end of it all. People are simply freaked out about nature and instead of researching properly, they come on here or elsewhere and start screaming the sky is falling. If there was no voice of reason, well..just imagine if every single wacky claim was immediately fully supported and acted on..imagine for just a moment everyone went out and quit their job, stocked up on food, and hid in their bunker for every time someone claimed the sky is falling.

Its best to consider the worst, but don't assume the worst until you are informed..information is salvation.

Kudos, SaturnFX. Your post is filled with the juicy goodness of rational logic and the often heard of but rarely witnessed favorite, common sense. This is among the best posts I've read in my short time on ATS.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I've been a lurker for awhile, finally became a member in 2010. Experts or not, ATS has given me 'food for thought' and has motivated me to do my own research on things. I do admire those who have more knowledge then me on a subject and provide links to thier findings. I greatly appreciate those individuals that are not experts providing insight on what is happening in their environment right now. The media is far from giving us relevant news. How else are we to know the 'other' things that are happening in our world right now without individuals notifiying us what's really going on in their location? As far as the end of the world, yah, somewhere in the future this will happen. People will predict based on their theories and personal research, some on what they believe is divine intervention or psychic abilities. I take all into consideration, but I use my own discernment and try not to fall into a time and date for destruction. There will always be Predictions. The only real problem I see with date/time predictions is how the affect people who are easily frightened, have mental issues and suicidal tendencies. Cults also used timelines to control their people and can (as in past) promote mass suicides. End of the world predictions can also cause young people to have no motiviation.. why should they if the world is going to end? Predictions on this have been from the beginning and will continue to the end. But, it is nice to be informed and I'm glad to be a member of ATS. Like I said, this site has provided me with insight into things I was unaware of and keeps my little radar of awareness alert.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The "experts" are the people that do the research, compare facts and sort out a lot of the things we don't need. They help present misinformation in a logical manner. How can you tire of that?

An expert accumulates a vast amount of information in a particular field, by studying and learning, and therefore deserves the title.

I agree that there are people who consider themselves to be "experts", like the preacher a few threads back who thinks he is an expert on the bible and that the world will end on May 21st, 2011. Expert? Not, but he is perceived by his followers to be such.

I will agree that there have been many ELEs in the past, and can track our species back to 100k years or so. Before then, we have records of dinosaurs, but before then? Life has this way of reversing entropy, which seems to me to be relatively unnatural, but to say all life ceases? Well, earth would be just a barren rock. It has never been that, not since the simplest life first appeared.

Is something coming up that will set humanity back a few paces? I think so. What is it? I don't know. I could offer all sorts of possibilities, nice and juicy fear mongering stuff, but without proof or at least a solid feeling about it, I choose not to say. I research, and wait.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

The world hasn't ended...its still here..see, look outside. voila.

depends on POV.

your/our world has not ended

their world did come to an end

World is a common name for the sum of human civilization, specifically human experience, history, or the human condition in general, worldwide, i.e. anywhere on Earth.[2]

In a philosophical context it may refer to the Universe, everything that constitutes reality.

In a theological context, world usually refers to the material or the profane sphere, as opposed to the celestial, spiritual, transcendent or sacred. The "end of the world" refers to scenarios of the final end of human history, often in religious contexts.

Philosophy

In philosophy, the World is everything that makes up reality. While clarifying the concept of world has arguably always been among the basic tasks of Western philosophy, this theme appears to have been raised explicitly only at the start of the twentieth century[5] and has been the subject of continuous debate.

The question of what the world is has by no means been settled.

interestingly enough etymologycally World means age of man from germanic

the greek Cosmos means universe.

edit on 27-3-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was hoping for some serious debunking. But it appears
that everyone mostly agrees

what does this mean when there is no debate... is .. it .. the road to Utopia?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
I am tired of all the experts here. So I thought I would post something that proves the end of the world has happened before and is likely to happen again.

I do not proclaime to know the hour nor the the method of our extinction like so many others

I know that it nearly happened before and odds are it will happen again.

www.physorg.com...

edit on 26-3-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

While I agree with you that there are too many self-proclaimed "experts" on this site, I can't help but wonder how on Earth (
) the world has been destroyed many times before
it is still here. Life still exists on the planet too. So that rules out the idea that "the end of the world" in the sense that life is destroyed is out the window. Maybe you mean the end of civilisation as we know it? And we will revert back to clubbing women over the head with a club and dragging her back to the cave for copulation?

I do however agree that the destruction of life as we know it could have happened before and that us being at a similar stage in development technologically has too. It is more than likely the cause of such destruction. But it is just a theory that definitely deserves much more research. I wouldn't be surprised if this knowledge is being suppressed. Older cities and structures are always being rediscovered.

What would you say was the cause of the destruction of normal life back then? Disease? War? Technology? ET Invasion? Meteor-type? Who would you say could have been to blame? I mean these questions purely as speculation and a bit of fun
edit on 5-4-2011 by EQUlNOX because: foolishly quoted the post and didn't add my own thoughts

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by EQUlNOX

Right on.

People tend to say "end of the world" when they're only true concern is the end of humanity. The first obviously dictates the latter, but the end of humanity will actually promote the Earth to a healthier state no doubt.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by guessing

I am tired of all the experts here.

Then talk to me and me only. About everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join