It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Job is Really Worth Doing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm currently unemployed and am going to start looking for a job in the next week. Unfortunately, as I look at the abomination known as the United States of America, I am discouraged and unmotivated. Our economic system is a fraud, to work means to pay taxes to indoctrinate children and fund unjust wars, millions of people who could work accept welfare (paid for by the employee), "public servants"...nuff said. So what's the point and what's worth doing. I'm to the point where to be homeless and not contributing to this system would give my soul greater peace. I want to leave the country but do not have the funds or skills (based on my research) to get legal work. So this is my dilemma. I view the majority of paid positions in this country as either pointless, contributing nothing to society, or leeching off people who are doing productive things. I would go back to college, but I can't justify it. I would start a business, but again, given the tax structure and oligarchical system in place, I can't justify it.

Money is fictional and will go away at some point. But time and energy are things that cannot be reclaimed. I can't waste my life away working a meaningless job just to survive and go out to eat on the weekends, saving money for home upgrades. This is what I'm surrounded by and the system that's in place.

So ATS, what job is worth doing? I don't have kids. If I did, I believe I would view things differently. So, "what do you do for a living" and why do you feel it's worthwhile?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

Well, i say do whatever you do best at. So, then it might be less annoying to do. You'll probably be having fun and getting paid to do so. Like I've always loved to play video games, and i have a job testing them. I tell them what's wrong with them and they pay me a reasonable amount of cash... Plus the game...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Move to Canada (possibly some states in the US too, im not that clued up) and start a medical marijuana crop

That way you are helping people who need it to ease pain etc and you are sort of at one with nature, bar the electricity you burn growing it. Its a love affair
edit on 26/3/11 by Ohboyohboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Healthcare...

Take a Psw course or a nursing course... It pays good, its always in demand, you're helping people as well.

And the course isn't very long either

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Teaching, medical field, and energy tech would be worthwhile occupations imo. For more fun I would say pilot, forest ranger, tree arborist or marine biologist.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Im actually training to be a network engineer at the moment, how rewarding or fulfilling it will be I dont know but it appears to be something that im good at and will earn me decent money. My views on work are that people were never meant to be part of some economic machine that forces us to work 9 - 5 for no benefit to us other than a weekly wage.

You have to find something outwith work that will feed your soul too.

Im all in favour of living in a wooden hut in the middle of the forest and providing my own food etc - but there has to be internet

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I really hate to say it but you're not the only one that thinks this. The job worth working at and for is one that you can stand to be at, whether it's flipping burgers, insulting shoppers at Wal-Mart or whatever. Every job has it's good side and you have to find it. Being bitter isn't going to help.

I have the same outlook. I do have a pretty good job though. Until this deal hits the crapper again that is. I sit there at work and look at these clowns without a clue. I mean good God, don't they see what is happening? This is all a spectacular waste of time and effort. For what? So we can send half of our money to a bunch of idiots that seem intent on killing the country that people are dying for? Please. So I'm one out of 20 people at work with a clue. And so are you. That is the biggest strength you can take to a job.

I do have a couple of suggestions. Obviously get something as close to home as possible. Less stress, less commute time.

When you do start working - and you will - don't spend on the usual crap. Food. Get food.

As much food as you can. Pack the basement with it. Pack the kitchen with it. We have 5 years worth. Trust me on this it will take about half the stress right out of your life.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sounds like a rhetorical question to me - especially with your comment about money going away.
This is going to sound really stupid, but when it comes to your "life's work" pick something you either have a talent for or enjoy immensely. That's basically it - if you're really not into the money, fame, prestige or other ego boosting thought circles.

Talent can be elusive in times of low self esteem or when lacking confidence, time and experience will tell eventually. On the other hand, your preferences and enjoyment can provide rewarding jobs.

How do YOU define "worth"?

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hand.

new topics

top topics

join