It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quote crash course

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am going to try to show you the easiest way to quote and respond.

Step one: Right click the Reply-To button on the post you would like to disect and respond to, and open in a new tab.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d507a078b7ac.png[/atsimg]

Step two: highlight what you would like to respond to, and copy.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5a71fe470f1.png[/atsimg]

Step 3, open the response page. click on the quote button, then paste the text in the box that pops up.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bcb70ff18931.png[/atsimg]

You end up with a screen looking like this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/001b1930c044.png[/atsimg]

Make sure to type your response after the [ /quote]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a797d87e72d.png[/atsimg]

Does this make sense? Do the same with every line you would like to quote.

edit on Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:39:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:47:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

PART 2:

And not to forget....quotes from text that isn't on ATS (news, reports, PDF etc) should be done using the "EX-TEXT" button (external) and should always be accompanied by a link to the source where the quoted text is from.

Example:

quote  /kwoʊt/ Show Spelled [kwoht] Show IPA
verb, quot·ed, quot·ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to repeat (a passage, phrase, etc.) from a book, speech, or the like, as by way of authority, illustration, etc.
2. to repeat words from (a book, author, etc.).
3. to use a brief excerpt from: The composer quotes Beethoven's Fifth in his latest work.
4. to cite, offer, or bring forward as evidence or support.
5. to enclose (words) within quotation marks. 6. Commerce . a. to state (a price). b. to state the current price of.

Source - Dictionary.com

2 types of quotes used on these boards, hope that helps.

cheers, nerb
edit on 26/3/2011 by nerbot because: spellig

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If this is in the wrong place, sorry. Was the only place I could think of sticking it.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Excellent addition, thanks!

I just wish code tags worked here, would be a lot easier to show people how to do things

edit on Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:53:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Step one: Right click the Reply-To button on the post you would like to disect and respond to, and open in a new tab.

If one's mouse has a wheel, they can also click with the wheel on the reply-to button and it will open up that link in a new tab.

I think this is a helpful thing to point out. Sometimes, after I've commented in a thread, I'll go back and see if anyone has responded to me. I'm certain that I've overlooked responses because it wasn't immediately clear that someone responded to me as they just used the quote button.
edit on 3/26/2011 by octotom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Oh man, learn something new everyday. I never knew that, works like a charm. That helps save some time, at least when I am not using my tablet for a mouse, awesome gem of information.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

If one's mouse has a wheel, they can also click with the wheel on the reply-to button and it will open up that link in a new tab.

Yep

Very handy if you wish to reply to multiple questions in a post...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Wow, I learned something new here. Thanks octomom. This was done using the mouse wheel by the way. Like you suggested.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I tend to just quote a whole post, then answer the points in it, as made, one by one by going to the end of a point I wish to respond to, hitting enter, typing the close quote prefix, typing my response, then the quote prefix, and so on and so on until Im done. I personaly find that easier than figuring out all the little short cuts, and tricks that my computer can do. Simply put, if I made room in my head for all the ways I can use my computer, I would forget why the hell I learned them.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

This was done using the mouse wheel by the way. Like you suggested.

So cool........I never even knew that I could use my mouse wheel.

Thanks to the both of you [octotom & jackflap]

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I always right-click on the "Quote" button, and then just remove anything I don't need, that way I easily get the exact text in quotations with the poster's username. And then its easy to go back to the thread too, before submitting (since for some reason there appears to be no link to the current thread when posting a reply, and there is no list of posts on the page where you comment from).

Another problem with posting comments on ATS is that, for some reason, smileys always get added to the end of the text, rather then where they are supposed to go, which is really annoying).

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by salainen

Yeah I noticed the smiley thing too. Very annoying I agree

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
now I've learned the secrets to posting images, trick to that. Then I learned the hidden art of posting a youtube video, the trick to that. Now you've revealed to me the secret hidden art of the multiple post!

So with these few things I think I've become a ATS Jedi Knight! I can post pics, multi post, post videos and kick people behinds in the art of the light sabre posting arena!

SO DON'T YOU MESS WITH ME!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Bumping this crash course in quoting.... and thanks to the OP for putting it together

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks, I thought it would be useful

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
bumping for later

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
bumping for those who may need the info....

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thank you! I actually didn't even know (after how many years now...) that if I merely copied text, that the quote feature would include the original author etc. Very useful!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

Glad to be of use

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Text
If this is in the wrong place, sorry. Was the only place I could think of sticking it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join