It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ghost trees of Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I stumbled upon this article earlier today and I must say, nature never fails to astound me. I'm not sure how well known this phenomenon is, but it was certainly something I've never seen before - so I thought I'd share

The ghost trees of Pakistan: Spider webs cocoon branches in creepy after-effect of floods

Millions of spiders have crawled into trees in Pakistan to escape flood waters, shrouding them with their silky webs.

The eye-catching phenomenon is an unexpected side-effect of last year's flooding which claimed the lives of almost 2,000 people.

However, since the monsoon weather devastated the nation last July, much of the water has still not yet receded.

The tiny insects have sought refuge amongst the trees weaving beautifully intricate webs between the leaves.

Beautiful and yet bizarrely surreal...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
EEEEEKKK!!! I may have nightmares tonight! That is crazy!! Wow!!! I wouldn' t want to be anywhere close to that!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
that is simply amazeing. wonderfull story thanks for shareing.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Great find! S&F

This story was particularly terrifying to me, I hate spiders..

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Im an arachnophobe, but just because I am scared of spiders, doesn't stop me from
appreciating the beauty that exists in nature... S&F

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'd hate to be the insect that flies into that tree.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow wouldn't I just love all the spiders in Florida to do that. I would by a flame thrower and not worry about any more hospital visits from them biting me. I would then have to worry about everything else that the spiders catch stinging me

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Apologies in advance to those of you who are not fond of spiders or webs - I have some more pictures of this phenomenon.

I must admit, although I'm fine with both, the size of these webs are even making me shiver

Link
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86d14110e278.jpg[/atsimg]
These aren't in Pakistan but Lake Tawakoni State Park in Texas!
edit on 26/3/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

See, if i wake up go outside and smell the fresh floodwater air, and see those trees...I would move.... IMMEDIATELY!
Good Find

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Quick Someone get me a big bottle of hair spray & a BBQ lighter I gots work to do..

what a cool photo.

sadly what sticks out to me from the article, the large amounts of Life we are loosing lately, its not easy to see these numbers of people in the thousands being lost.

yes its due to natural disasters BUT the losses could have been avoided through proper planing and care when developing these overpopulated cities that are just accidents waiting to happen...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yea same for me I was astounded when I saw the pictures
. Anyways it's nice to see what so little insects can do when being at work for their survival.

S & F

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
just how big of spiders are we talking here? thats quite the web work!!!!!
wonder why spiders freak us out so much when other insects normally do not.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
wow thats pretty cool i had no idea this happend
aside from that EWWWWWWWWW!!!
that is just disgusting i HATE spiders i even
get creeped out by a daddy long legs or those tiny jumping
spiders lol(im n.z by they way harmless spiders here lol)

S&F from me was awesome but creepy to see

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That is stunning to see but please oh please lets hope that big corporations are not actually mass breeding them for their next sinister move, gossamer has some amazing properties ans I would hate to see it being destroyed and used for some commercial use, guess it will not take them long to latch on to that fact.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Two more pics of the spider trees.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I often see those in my Birch tree, but the entire tree isn't covered, just a portion of the tree.

ETA I would knock them down with a rake, before they grew in size.They stick like glue, with dead leaves and other windblown debris embedded into them, they can't be hosed off with strong force of water. They eventually dislodge and dangle like a sac, if left.
edit on 17-5-2011 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
ew I scrolled down to the picture first and thought it was beautiful
then I read it was spider-webs... now I wanna puke

top topics

join