It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian intelligence claim ground attacks in Libya being planned for April by coalition.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Not sure where they assume this intelligence,but it is based on consideration that Gaddafi will still be waging retaliatory actions against the dissenters.

Interestingly,this news comes out AFTER the announcement of the no fly zone being handed over to Nato.
Is this Russian scaremongering ......or do they know something ?

en.rian.ru...
edit on 25-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Seems to have been reported in a number of media outlets.;

story.africaleader.com...

en.trend.az...
edit on 25-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
i hope it isnt true. we don't even need to be there as is.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Is it fair to say that IF U.S troops begin operations (call it coalition-whatever) and do so WITHOUT congressional approval that Obama will be impeached? I would hope so...
edit on 25-3-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Very strange-I dont see any reports of this in Western media outlets,it looks like the Russians have purposely got this out to rattle some cages.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
From the news article,

"Information coming via different channels shows that NATO countries, with the active participation of Britain and the United States, are developing a plan for a ground operation on Libyan territory," he said.

This alone makes me think it is just early stage propaganda. I really do not see the United States getting involved past the early air support provided so far.

You can call me naive. You can call me a fool that 'listens to his government' because both Obama and Gates have unequivocally stated that U.S. operations would be brief. You can look at the track record of fear-mongering on threads such as these and see one simple fact.

Nothing.Ever.Ends.Up.Happening. And I for one am quite happy with that fact.

None of this is directed at the OP. I really do appreciate you passing this information along to us for discussion purposes.

If ground warfare breaks out, which it probably will, France will be leading the coalition and not the United States. We have our own affairs to fix. Yanno, like our extremely popular and important wars we are finishing up in Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm sure that before the day is over we'll be in there head on, when has the U.S. ever been this diligent with another country? Iraq, and we are still over there, so I don't know what's going to happen for sure.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SneakySleuth911

Yes I would like to think it was propaganda too.
Putin has been a big critic of Western intervention,but if you look at what they had planned,its going to leave a hole in their future projections.
Russia had some big military deals with Libya,there was the Gas contracts,and also plans to build railways across the country.
Its interesting that theres lots of talk again about accelerating Russias entry to the WTO in the last few days,with Obama reiterating support.
Its almost like some kind of sweetner,to soften the blow of their trade losses.

en.rian.ru...

edit on 26-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

"The U.S. Congress may terminate the application of Jackson-Vanik to Russia as early as this spring"

Spring -meaning in the next few weeks ?
edit on 26-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
france want's cheap oil too. i think it's only fair france gets to install a puppet government and steal libya's oil. it's only 2% off the worlds supply.

the only thing i find strange that even though it's 2% of the world's output, for some reason gasoline and barrel prices have risen by more than 2%.

the u.s. get's iraq's oil, france get's libya's, england will have to settle for drilling the f-ck out the oceans.

maybe they'll get a piece of iran's oil once the international community decides that iran has nuclear missiles.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
But surely the coalition will be demanding some compensation for coming to the rescue,as happened in Kuwait.
What form do you reckon the compensation will take ?
erm...............not too hard to work out.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is the obvious truth.
There will be an appropriate crisis of humanitarian proportions to allow it if needed.
What you didnt think they covered all the bases??tsk tsk.
I am sure that the forces they have in terms of troops will be utilised if called for.
You people have to stop being so naieve and assume that he war plans will be professioonally thorough,and cover all the possibilities.
The usual proceedure is to war game the sh%t out of this stuff years in advance.Wgats changed?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by martin3030

Gaddafi has $30 billion we have frozen in the US. I'm sure we will take that to pay for operations in Libya.

France and the UK may seek other ways to compensate for expenses though.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The 26th Marine Expeditionary Force is off the coast now and they canceled leave two weeks early for the 22nd MEF they set sail two days ago for the Med. That's 4 to 5000 that I know of and they are some of the most Elite Marines in the world.

I don't think though. God I hope not. That we will land troops there. They were talking today about bring Spector Gun ships and Attack helo's in to tear up tanks and ground troops.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
We haven't bought oil from Libya since 1986. The US Military pays more for oil in Iraq than they do when their home in the United States. I'm not sure but I don't think Iraq oil is exported to the us. We import all or most of our oil from Saudi Arabia.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

We import most of our oil from Canada. Canadian imports are actually larger than all Persian Gulf imports combined.
www.eia.doe.gov...

Top US oil imports
1. Canada
2. Mexico
3. Saudi Arabia
4. Nigeria
5. Venezuela

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Another plan being looked at is arming the rebels.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Well-would you believe it,I have found another so called Russian intelligence report,remarkably put out by the same source in 2007.

en.rian.ru...

Says it all then really !

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This along with the other thread claiming that at least some of the rebels are the same people the US is fighting in Iraq is exactly why the whole Libya no fly zone stinks to me...We know for a fact that eastern Libya particularily Benghazi is one of Al Qaeda's biggest training grounds..theres also tonnes of videos on youtube of thousands and thousands supporting Ghaddafi in Tripoli..Of all the videos i've seen of the rebels I have never seen more than say a hundred or so of these rebels..not to say there isn't alot of them but from my perspective and from what I have seen, it seems to me that most libyans support him. It seems that France wants to go in there and get the oil..I'm disgusted that canada is even involved but it doesn't surprise me with harper as prime minister. We also have to keep in mind that Libya is one of the last 5? countries to not have a rothschild central bank..Cuba, Venezuala, North Korea, Iran and Sudan I believe(correct me if i'm wrong please).

Interesting times to say the least....

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
By Spring of 2012 we will have boots on the ground in Russia mopping up what's left of their antique military hardware. North Korean's will all be dead by then...China will bow their heads in shame lower than even the Japanese after their Shi Lang Carrier is sent to the bottom of the sea.

There is absolutely no one on Earth that can stop a One World Government now.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
This is all very interesting and scary to say the least. France's intentions are obvious they want oil. There was also a report Frances Prime Minister election campaign was funded in 2007 by Libya and that they have all receipts and documents to prove it.

A theory I have on the Syria unrest is the extremist want the current leaders out because they refuse to attack Israel. I think the extremist have used the youth in Egypt and from what I read The Muslim brother hood is seamlessly stepping right in. In Egypt their leader I hear was pretty harsh however he provided the most stability in the region and from what I read the youth in Egypt is on the outside looking in.

The Russian article about the US massing on Iran's border was a real eye opener.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join