It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask someone with Schizophrenia anything.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrnookiemonster
Thank you for your candid response. I felt uneasy asking about your personal relationships. I don't want to pry, but I don't have a solution yet to my own affairs regarding relationships and my beliefs. I was hoping for something that would help me to further my understanding of my interactions with the opposite sex or even something to help my female better understand my condition. On to my story...

[size=+4]WALL OF TEXT

So you see, this is not about me. It isn't about our common interests. It's not about the crystal clear view people like us have into reality. It has nothing to do with perception or are acceptance there of. My inquiry is simply, what are these shadowy figures? Silhouettes of an entity that was? Demons of some sort? A figment of my imagination? Manifestation of my own crimes against humanity? Or maybe a symptom of a sick mind?

Well, I'm interested in things like Lucid Dreaming, and Astral Projection, etc, and I believe that when you are in the "astral (dream)" world, you can encounter different types of entities/spirits/guides, and such. But if you have this kind of mental illness, your brain operates as if you are in a dream, regardless of whether or not you are sleeping. (Actual difference in brain waves (Alpha, Theta, etc).

So your Astral world and Waking world combine, resulting in a reality filled with hallucinations, which are absolutely "real".

And lol crazy story. Don't take life so seriously would be my advice. Do what thou wilt.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud
reply to post by heyJude

Hi

Firstly, do you feel that your schitzophrenia is actually a mental illness? or do you feel that because of the way that it is stigmatized thats the main reason why its actually effected you? and if so, would you be feeling the same as you are now?

Sorry if thats worded funny, its pretty late where i am.

Yes I think it's a mental illness, but only because it can be a very debilitating disease at it's extremes. I think madness comes as a way to avoid the memory of suffering, but it could also be genetic.

Also, did your depression and anxiety stem from having schitzophrenia? Or are they completely unrelated

Completely unrelated..

I personally think (and please correct me if im wrong, because ive never delt with schitzophrenia) that if your kind of schitzophrenia wasn't so stigmatised it could be seen as a gift in some aspects (even though im sure it has its downsides), concidering that you percieve the world in such a different way to other people and pick up things that they would have no idea even exist. You also said in earlier posts that your very artistic, would that be because you have such vivid perceptions of things that theres so much more that you can express in artwork?

Yep, all artists have vivid imaginations. It transfers on to paper, and everywhere else. I can close my eyes and see an image with such detail, that it is as if I'm looking at a picture in a book, if not more detailed. I then paint it, or draw, etc.

But I think that's just the right brained people.

There can be left brain (logical, rational, scientific, etc) Schizophrenics as well. (Like John Nash) who are brilliant in other ways.

If you dont wanna be taking any more medication apparently st johns wort is really good for depression, you should give it a try

I'm gonna stay on my meds for a while I think.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zbeliever

Na, I'm not that eccentric.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hey Jude!

So interesting sharing you are doing here. I have a very good friend who is highly schizophrenic and what interests me is his personalities. Do you have multiple personalities and if so, are you aware of them all or have you learned about them through working with a doctor?

A side question to the prior questions is that if you do have multiple personalities and are aware of them, do you have a 'overseeing' personality, one that can swoop in if its needed, if it feels the others can not handle something? Alot of schizophrenics have a 'higher personality' and sometimes they even call it a angel, higher being, alien, ect. Can you relate to that? What makes me curious about such ideas is that we hear people that dont supposedly have multiple personalities but they talk with and have contact with 'higher selves' and I cant help but to wonder if some people are dealing with a multiple personality in a mild manner and not even knowing it. My friends 'higher personality' he says is not a 'human' but he looks at it as a 'alien who just wants to observe him but sometimes can also, intervene and help him'. He describes this personality as the strongest, smartest, hence, overseeer.

Again, thanks for sharing and if there is anything you dont wish to share, that is ok too.

My best to you!
LV

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Now I know this picture is unknowable (right?), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like this ↓
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd58c64b1ba9.jpg[/atsimg]

I love fractals, I see them when I close my eyes.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0613b1a9d2b.jpg[/atsimg]

This is the most fantastic concept! I think you may have doomed me to hours more reading and researching because of this... lol

What exactly makes you feel this is the case? Is it personal premonition or based off something you've perceived?
edit on 3/30/2011 by jrnookiemonster because: Add Quotation

edit on 3/30/2011 by jrnookiemonster because: Edit Quotation

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Sorry i ment to say additional meds before instead of not take any more meds, that was just bad wording
Good you didnt listen to me! hahaha
your answers are pretty insteresting, thanks

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I think you might be confusing Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly MPD) with schizophrenia. While many schizophrenics hear voices and perceive entities, these are not experienced or expressed in the way alternate personalities in DID are.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

I think you might be confusing Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly MPD) with schizophrenia. While many schizophrenics hear voices and perceive entities, these are not experienced or expressed in the way alternate personalities in DID are.

Right, but I do know a schizophrenic with MPD and have seen some videos of schizophrenic people also with MPD. Which is why I asked the OP IF he had MPD. I noticed that in a prior post he did mention multiple personalities and said it was complex so I figured it didnt hurt to ask further. It may not be something he wants to discuss though, even if he does deal with MPD.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Oh, my apologies then, I must have just misread you. It is a fairly common mistake so I probably just jumped to conclusions.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hey, nice thread and the posts I have read are inspirational. I takes alot of courage to discuss a mental illness. I was diagnosed with self induced psychosis from a drug problem around 2 years ago and ever since I have never looked at the world the same. I do have socializing problems from time to time, feel out of place most of the time, feel like Im in a dream and really just want to be left alone most of the time.

Every now and then I feel as though Im going to relapse if thats the way you put it, not just with the illness but with the drugs aswell even though I know where it will most likely take me. Im not an aggressive person but because Im a quiet person people sort of dont know how to take me. My question is do you have the same problems with people and when things arent going well, do you know when the illness is taking over or causing you problems? Its just when I are not 100% I can feel it coming on somehow.

Sorry if I didn't word that properly,
edit on 31-3-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

This is the most fantastic concept! I think you may have doomed me to hours more reading and researching because of this... lol

Good.

What exactly makes you feel this is the case? Is it personal premonition or based off something you've perceived?

It just seems the most likely case. Everything seems to go on infinitely in every direction.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed,
everything would appear as it is - infinite."

- William Blake

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I'm not around people very often. I'm prone to panic attacks and anxiety in social situations.

My symptoms don't seem to worsen significantly around people, if that's what you're asking.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hello HeyJude,

Its been a really interesting thread and I commend you on answering all those questions about yourself. I also suffer from panic attacks and the depersonalised feelings (dream like/unreal) sensations. I have found a few ways to control panic attacks and even stop them completely but I had to change my way of thinking to do it and just like panic becomes habit, the positive thoughts must also become habit .

What is most important is that you know they can go away and will, it is the one aspect of your mental illness I truly believe you can control. Also as someone mentioned earlier St. Johns wart is amazing for depression (well it worked for me atleast).

I don't really have a question, other than I suppose what would you like to see change about you this year. Do you have any goals set for you to achieve regarding your agoraphobia?

Once again, thanks for being so open about all this, the stigma attached to mental illness makes it ten times worse.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So you find yourself listening or watching "conspiracy theory" related shows like Alex Jones?

Do you think (or are you more aware of) people are out to "get you", I always liked the line
"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't really following you"

Do you visit sites like this using VPNs or anonymous proxies?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

My goal is to carry on and let time decide what to do with me. It is the only thing I am at the mercy of.

I will always hate people, and avoid them whenever possible. That will never change. It's part of my personality, which I love.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
So you find yourself listening or watching "conspiracy theory" related shows like Alex Jones?

No I don't trust those "charlatans". They only care about money, and promise to enlighten the masses but only spread fear.

I look into myself to seek enlightenment.

Do you think (or are you more aware of) people are out to "get you", I always liked the line
"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't really following you"

It's good to be a little paranoid.

Do you visit sites like this using VPNs or anonymous proxies?

No.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have never been diagnosed with schizophrenia, though I was diagnosed with drug induced schizophrenia (heavy pot smoking, and one experiment with shrroms). My father and uncle are diagnosed schizophrenics, as was my great grandfather and all of his siblings. My brother experiences hallucinations from time to time, as do i... they tend to come in waves. Also delusional perceptions. For instance, at times my brother comes to fear that the ground will lose it's solidity and that he's going to fall through the floor into the abyss.

I also have recently (past 6 months) become curious with occult topics, and have taken up serious practice of certain techniques in this field for the past 2-3 months. I will take part in this discussion by asking questions from my unique perspective, and will also answer questions posed to the OP for fun.

Have you ever been in a psychiatric ward?(one with locked doors)

If so what was that experience like for you?

Have you ever felt like something was trying to communicate you, whether this was hallucinated speech, or just generally having ideas coming into your head that you knew was from another source?

When did you first realise that you were picking up on your girlfriends thoughts? (I find that whenever I'm romantically involved I get a definite sense for that persons mood, regardless if we have spoken, or seen eachother, or not.)

When it comes to the question posed earlier about "mind melding" I certainly do experience this. Generally when I am talking to anyone for more than about 30 minutes or so I will start to finish their sentences. Also I have recently found that if I imagine a chord of light extending from my solar plexus to another persons I can feel any strong emotions which they might be feeling.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hey Heyjude!

I have been writing alot over the past few years and I am trying to get real insights into Schizophrenia to give one of my characters a bit more depth. I work with people suffering severe debilitating mental health conditions, but mostly high risk offenders.

However I don't really get to speak with them about their illness, and the character in question is your stereotypical Schizophrenic (IE not like stereotypes perpetuated by the media), just a normal guy who suffers from this affliction.

Anyway what I would like to know is when you have visual hallucinations, how real do they appear to you? You mentioned shadowy figures, but have you ever experienced something which appeared to be very much a physical reality? As in so convincing you could interact with it through touch?
edit on 31-3-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: To remove apology for resurrecting thread, because it was still going!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Originally posted by renegadeloser
Have you ever been in a psychiatric ward?(one with locked doors)

Yeah, but it was my choice. I stayed for 3 days (2 nights), and I pretty much slept the whole time. (Kept asking for my meds that put me to sleep).

If so what was that experience like for you?

It went by very quickly, because I was asleep most of the time. And the time that I wasn't asleep, I was blocking everything out. It was boring.

And people would check on me like, every hour during the night to make sure I didn't kill myself.

It wasn't exactly like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Have you ever felt like something was trying to communicate you, whether this was hallucinated speech, or just generally having ideas coming into your head that you knew was from another source?

Yes, auditory hallucinations. I don't let what I hear influence my actions in reality.

When did you first realise that you were picking up on your girlfriends thoughts? (I find that whenever I'm romantically involved I get a definite sense for that persons mood, regardless if we have spoken, or seen eachother, or not.)

We meditated together, and tried to send each other images, sensations, landscapes, etc.

When it comes to the question posed earlier about "mind melding" I certainly do experience this. Generally when I am talking to anyone for more than about 30 minutes or so I will start to finish their sentences. Also I have recently found that if I imagine a chord of light extending from my solar plexus to another persons I can feel any strong emotions which they might be feeling.

Interesting. Maybe you're an Empath? Perhaps we all are.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I see your point when it comes to the ignorance people have for the condition, I think most are just expecting a certain stereotype. From reading your responses, you seem very much in control of your own situation and fairly comfortable with everything, I don't know if I'd call what you have an "illness" as much as simply being different.

Do you find yourself "masking" your normal behavior in public to blend in?
If so, is it something that takes more effort the longer you have to do it?
Have you ever "lost it" publicly?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join