It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Ahead Be an American - This pretty much Sums it All Up!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Politicians are like babies nappies. They require regular changing......and for the same reason.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
That was one of the most moronic things I've read since the first time I read it a couple years ago.

"We didn't have this tax 100 years ago."

...we didn't have a LOT of things 100 years ago.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Noromyxo

Love the poem. "What happened 100 years ago?" THE FED happened. 1913. Woodrow Wilson and the Banker Boys. President Wilson sold us out to wall street. And he knew it. Read his quotes from that time period.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Uh, yeah. Great. Charley Reese is "neutral" (which, BTW, is totally impossible) and then the OP uses it to go on some very partisan rant/"poem" about taxes. Sorry. Not buying it. That long list of taxes is a copy-and-paste I keep seeing on comments to news stories and have been seeing for about 18 months now. I'm not that easily propogandized.

Look, WE THE PEOPLE have deficits because we're idiots. IDIOTS. We want stuff, but we don't want to pay for it. I'm 55 years old. I have seen a lot. And I'm 110 percent certain we have deficits because we're stupid and just utterly refuse accept reality. We have created a political atmosphere where we demonize people who want to cut things out of a budget and at the same time demonize people who want to raise taxes. A total perfect storm recipe for getting into debt.

Don't blame me if I don't vote in the next election. I'm outnumbered and it's hopeless.
edit on 27-3-2011 by ClintK because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
That was one of the most moronic things I've read since the first time I read it a couple years ago.

"We didn't have this tax 100 years ago."

...we didn't have a LOT of things 100 years ago.

Totally agree. This kind of "thinking" is for people who don't think and have childishly oversimplified views of the world and its problems. And a lot of ignorance of history.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well although I agree with some of the ideas behind the article, I find it a bit simplistic.
Yeah, politicians suck, we all know that. More importantly the system which produces these politicians is directed against ordinary people. And the people get misdirected into complaining about something else.

I'm bored listening to people complaining about taxes. You guys know how much money could be saved if tax avoidance techniques by corporations were stopped? So you won't find me complaining about paying too much tax, no, the real point is the big guys who are paying too little tax and are bribing the politicians to make it stay that way.

edit on 27-3-2011 by freethinker123 because: Curse those typos

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I like the idea, and I agree that the ptb's must be held responsible, however to consider the just over 500 people in our constitutional government solely responsible completely ignores the fact that we no longer (if we ever did) live under a constitutional government.
If we did still live under a constitutional government the responsibility would rest with the voting public.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The OP had me all the way up the end of the post, when all the current government imposed taxes were listed, finishing with this gem...

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

#1) A lot has changed in the last 100 years. There were some minor social, technological, economic and political changes that have continued to occur at an ever increasing rate.

#2) A lot of those are fees not 'taxes', there's a difference.

#3) So, you want to go live back in 1911?! Be my guest, buddy.

#4) Be a pal, and put together a list of all the things that used to be taxed, but no longer are.

#5) You wanna talk about unfair taxes? How about those little tax-blackholes known as the military-industrial complex, the nanny state, the war on drugs, corporate welfare, and the US as a world police force. You don't suppose those little governmental innovations did more to suck the taxpayers dryer than any thing that was listed in the OP, do you?

I'm not a big fan of'em, either, but we should all try to maintain a little perspective, when discussing [the abundance/annoyance of and necessity for] taxes.

edit on 3/27/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And as usual I will assume that the people will not all stand together to just say "stop this" so another day will just begin as the last.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
GhostLancer...absolutely brilliant...you beat me to it....removing the politicians is only the first step....the bankers and those that they control would have to be systematically taken care of as well.

The columnist that wrote the original piece...awesome for his piece and he got the ball rolling...but in order to take care of this country and start over....we need to have a plan in place first...it would be self defeating cut off one arm of an octopus when all the arms are involved.

On a lighter side...enjoyed the Dr. Seuss meter...in fact...Dr. Seuss wrote similar diatribes against the "Axis" in WWII.

Holly N.R.A., thanks! This is why I think we will never see campaign finance reform (CFR). It takes away the POWER from the banksters. If there were spending limits, then raising money would not be so important. That would mean bankers and world weatlty elite would have only a fraction of the influence they have now. Therefore, unfortunately, we'll never see it. AND, any politician who mentions it is committing political suicide, even if it takes years for his demise. Consider Sen. John McCain, who was for CFR; now, many republicans don't favor him.

Right now, there is so much money in the game of politics that politicians are like aquarium fish at feeding time. If they do what's "right" they get a reward. If they make a stand and try to change things for the better... they don't feed and wither and slowly and politically perish.

CFR would be the fastest route to make politicians accountable to PEOPLE instead of special interests, lobbies, corporations, bankers and wealthy elite. Right now, as long as corporations are considered people for the purposes of free speech and campaign contributions, the average citizen has been TRUMPED. No pun intended. Politicians really can't win a campaign without lots of money. The average citizen's contribution is negligible compared to the vast piles of gold that mega corporations can freely contribute to campaign chests.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Excellent post, way to go out with a bang! I hope this man will continue to inspire otbers with his insightful and humorous approach, as we need all hands on deck at this crucial time in history......How ironic to find this post and join this sight today because I feel in the depth of my soul that I am committed to doing everything possible to save this country, and help to expose the absolutely diabolical, evil forces we are up against. I highly recommend watching a documentary called 'Ring of Power', I will try and figure out how to post it here as I am still learning how this site works. I have spent the last 6 mns. obssesively reading, learning and watching anything I can get my hands on to try and figure out what exactely is going on and what role I should and will play in the solution. This particular documentary was very helpful in filling in the blanks for me, and it ends with some VERY good ideas about what we can all do, some of which people have mentioned in this thread already. Hopefully the gusto of becoming newly awakened will give me the empathy to help others that still can't even fathom how dire the situation really is. I will spare you all my personal saga other than to say I was a good girl, went to college, lol, heck even thought I was pretty smart and informed, raised my daughter to be a beautiful young woman, worked in corporate America for 15 years, payed my taxes....and now I find myself unemployed in a conventional way....ironic that having too much time on my hands, so to speak, will ultimately allow me to go to work for the people and animals on our beautiful Earth......any suggestions welcomed.....Peace....

edit on 27-3-2011 by MountainLaurel because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

Excellent post, way to go out with a bang! I hope this man will continue to inspire otbers with his insightful and humorous approach, as we need all hands on deck at this crucial time in history......How ironic to find this post and join this sight today because I feel in the depth of my soul that I am committed to doing everything possible to save this country, and help to expose the absolutely diabolical, evil forces we are up against. I highly recommend watching a documentary called 'Ring of Power', I will try and figure out how to post it here as I am still learning how this site works. I have spent the last 6 mns. obssesively reading, learning and watching anything I can get my hands on to try and figure out what exactely is going on and what role I should and will play in the solution. This particular documentary was very helpful in filling in the blanks for me, and it ends with some VERY good ideas about what we can all do, some of which people have mentioned in this thread already. Hopefully the gusto of becoming newly awakened will give me the empathy to help others that still can't even fathom how dire the situation really is. I will spare you all my personal saga other than to say I was a good girl, went to college, lol, heck even thought I was pretty smart and informed, raised my daughter to be a beautiful young woman, worked in corporate America for 15 years, payed my taxes....and now I find myself unemployed in a conventional way....ironic that having too much time on my hands, so to speak, will ultimately allow me to go to work for the people and animals on our beautiful Earth......any suggestions welcomed.....Peace....

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Absolutely insightful I never realized how many taxes messed with my paycheck until now. I bet that isn’t even ALL of the taxes that exist in the U.S. this is definitely S&F worthy, too bad this wont be published in every local newspaper and news site and is mostly limited to the Orlando Sentinel…

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Dont stumble into the hole. Dead brothers tried to dig for you. Forget those dead brothers arguements and wars,they wanted on top of a pyramid so they made a pyramid. bernie madeoff got in trouble for pyramid scheming? government is a pyramid scheme.

Those dead brothers said " We are more than human,so lets control those humans." And this is the system we blindly follow.

I went out to eat my whole life and thought,why should someone else waste their life preparing me meals?

Am i ontop of this pyramid scheme? that i have people making me meals for me,when i drive up to a window and demand it's made the way i like. Note to self,make your own damn food.

I was creating a "demand" for this low level slave. I created this demand simply by buying fast food. If noone bought fast food,noone would work at fast food.
You dont have to tell me that the demand for grocery stores would increase,i already know.

Think about it,you go grocery shopping and you feed yourself for a month. Go out to eat and you feed your self for a few hours. What one is a heavier burden for society? It takes the same time to check out at a grocery store,that it does to wait for someone to make your fast food.

Just ask yourself, am i supporting slavery when i buy this product.

because we are all part of a pyramid. Most of it's a scheme.

Think about what would be around if money did not exist. what we would still hold sacred in society,if money did not exist is not part of the pyramid scheme we live by on this date 3/29/2011

Would the schemers be pissed if we all started to think like this? yes,they would then have to make their own meals.

Find women in their league instead of buying them.

The truth is,one greedy guy greedier than any one to ever live,thought and said " i will make paper rule them all. they will kill over paper. I will take wood out of its natural element,make it weaker and it will rule them all."

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelicdefender2012

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

That's because 100 years ago the central bank didn't exist. I believe they are causing most of the problems.

However, Taxing is needed. How do you expect to drive on roads? Take your kids to a park? Work with other nations to resolve crisis, be able to call 911 when you are in trouble?

Tax is a necessary evil. But the money doesn't have to shake out so bad. The problem is not taxes. The problem is that those at the top 5% control nearly ALL of the resources and harbor nearly ALL of the country's wealth. Thanks to private interests lobbying Washington and crooked politicians.

We have serious conflicts of interests in Washington where the people who are supposed to support the people spend most of their time trying to appease powerful private interest so they have enough money to make attack adds for tier next campaign.

You don't want to be taxed? OK, please stop using the roads, 911, parks, don't vote, don't subsidize anything, don't send your kids to public school, don't use the bus, don't walk on sidewalks, don't get stafford loans for school, etc.

Taxes are good when they are applied appropriately. They feed money into a collaborative effort to improve all of our lives. It's the people at the top who are pulling the strings and slowly funneling more money away from you and towards them, all in the name of freedom and liberty. It's the USA way.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy
There is plenty of blame to be passed around, and for the most part, the machine of our civilization is headless and its momentum virtually unstoppable. You can blame Congress all you want... but the reality is that it's not such a simple moral problem, we cannot simply vote the right people in. The system is a filter, and no matter what or who you put into the system, its filter will only allow a narrow band of results to slip through. The government, corporations, Communism, Capitalism, the economy, and even our Democracies... rely upon the same invisible root structures. These root structures are made up of hierarchy.

It's easy to question and rail against Congresspeople (and many of them deserve it to varying degrees)... but does anybody ever ask the REAL question?

WHY DO WE ACCEPT A SYSTEM WHERE THE MANY ARE CONTROLLED BY THE FEW?

This goes for both governance and economics. We accept, rationalize, and tolerate a system where the very FEW can rule over (whether with a soft or hard touch) the many; where another very FEW can amass most of the wealth, land, and means of production and use the rest of us as servants/slaves (whether with or without tasty treats/incentives). We have been born into an INSANE system that seems to be clamoring along just fine but is actually barreling off a cliff. Most of us ignorantly behave as if this is the way things are meant to be, that this is the only way, that it's logical and acceptable. The reality is, we could be living in a virtually INFINITE manner of ways... and we can always change how we live if a large enough portion of the population were so inclined. We are in chains, whether we know it or not, the planet's ecosystems and species are in chains, whether they know it or not (and they are being destroyed by our civilization's directionless whims).

Our footprints of governments, businesses/economies, consumption/destruction, and our species in general is TOO BIG TO CONTROL. No matter who you put at the helm, things are going to get f***ed up. If you put a hybrid of the Mother Theresa and Albert Einstein themselves in charge of the planet, even they, despite any amount of intelligence, wisdom, and/or compassion, would cause unnecessary suffering/destruction/oppression. The problem is NOT the people, the problem is THE SYSTEM. We are insane because we continue to call for tweaks and reforms to a system that will produce the same general results over and over regardless. It's time to embrace more ecologically/economically/socially/psychologically sustainable localized and diverse communities which are less hierarchical and more horizontal. It's time to start experimenting with radically different ways of living on this planet that increase our freedom, purpose, fulfillment, and positive balance with each other and the biosphere.

"What people (aside from rulers) don't like about hierarchal societies is that they don't exist for all their members in the same way. They provide a life of unbelievable luxury and ease for the rulers and a life of poverty and toil for everyone else. The way rulers benefit from the success of the society is vastly different from the way the masses benefit, and the pyramids and the temples testify to the importance of the rulers, not to the masses who build them. And so it goes, through every phase of life in a hierarchal society." - Daniel Quinn, Beyond Civilization

"Every one of your systems is a utopian system. Democracy would be heaven--if people would just be better than people have ever been. Of course, Soviet Communism was supposed to have been heaven too--if people had just been better than people have ever been. Your justice system would work perfectly if people would just be better than people have ever been. And of course your schools would work perfectly under the same conditions." - Daniel Quinn, My Ishmael

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Any ideas about your radically different approach? Have you heard of the "Venus project"?, Power corrupts, everyone knows that. I know someone who was very idealistic and wanted to get into politics to change things for the better, once in, realized that the system is too embedded and could see that she too would become corrupted by it and got out.
I would so love to sit down with a politician and have a long talk with them now that i've had my eyes opened properly and have more information. I do think tho, that alot of politicians treat their job as a game and an ego trip.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
These taxes represent flaws in people over decades if not hundreds of years. People many, many decades ago would have been too ashamed to live off of the government where today we have entire cultures who exist in a cyclical nature of having kids too early that they can't support and then happily living off of the government whether it be through welfare, housing, etc. People have changed for the worse. These taxes were needed, not all of them but most of them, to support the millions of people who take advantage of the government and hard worker's pay days. That is what has changed. Whether this is through a product of the media, drugs, crime, who knows but they all have played a factor into creating worse human beings today than there were a couple of hundred years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join